Author Topic: Windshield removal on Eagle 10  (Read 2740 times)

Offline Gold Talon

• Tom & Karen Goldsby Battle Ground Wa. 1982 Eagle
Windshield removal on Eagle 10
« on: May 14, 2011, 04:31:38 PM »
Gentlemen: The refrigerator failed in the Eagle I bought recently, so I need to replace it. To get it out and a new one in I will need to go through the windshield. So I need advice on how to remove the windshield. The side windows are going to be hard to remove as the trim and shades are covering the access to the screws and the windows appear to be riveted from the outside. The repair man bid $1000.00 to repair this one. What do you advise.

Offline luvrbus

Re: Windshield removal on Eagle 10
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 05:19:42 PM »
Tom, remove the lock on the rubber (in the middle) then start on a outside corner top or bottom makes no difference it will come out easy going back is a little harder but when you get ready I'll tell you how to do it with a rope.
As for the fridge what brand check PPL they have fridges on sale with 7.99 shipping  a 1000 bucks is too much for a 12 cf 2 door fridge repair a new one is 1050 dollars

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline bottomacher

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 07:12:01 AM »
Luvrbus, you don't need a rope unless you remove the rubber from the body, do you? Can't the glass be removed from the gasket without removing the gasket from the body? I'm fixing to replace my MC9 this month, and I sure don't want to remove the gasket.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 07:20:27 AM »
Eagle are a lot easier to remove the gasket with the glass don't know about the MCI fwiw

Offline Gold Talon

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 12:20:28 PM »
Any and all input is great! I do have a friend that has installed many windshields in cars and old classics but he has never done an Eagle or bus of any kind. He knows about the rope, in fact I have helped him with a few cars and old pick ups. The rubber in this bus is in good shape no cracks and it is flexible. If it is worth trying to leave the rubber in we can try that. Thanks again!

Offline demodriver

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 12:42:34 PM »
My thoughts would be to hire a company to come out and take it out and put it back. Then if it does get cracked its on them. IMO your better off to pay a little then to take the chance in having to find a replacement.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 12:49:21 PM »
Do it your way but the gasket needs to come out as you are going to be surprised what you find covered up with gaskets lol

good luck

Offline Dreamscape

• Dreamscape
  • Global Moderator
  • 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 04:20:41 PM »
Tom,

I believe Clifford to be correct. The rubber needs to stay on the glass coming off and going back in. There is a pretty wide lip that secures the glass. Not sure if you can work it around and keep the gasket in place, especially at the top and without breaking the glass while trying to work the lip. I would recommend removing the lock strip, with suction cups on the outside with a person holding onto it. Start pealing the rubber from around the aluminum retainer from the inside.

Unless a PO has used any silicone, then all bets are off. ;)

Then to reinstall, with gasket around glass, install the rope on the inside lip. Hold the glass in place and gently pull out the rope, causing the lip to seat around the aluminum retainer from the inside.

Let us know how you make it work out.

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.

Offline Boomer

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 05:23:05 PM »
Hi Tom.  Boy that new fridge didn't last long did it ??  I just ordered a new 12 cf GE electric frost free for the Silverside @ 782.00.  It's 24" wide and would probably come in your door easy with the fridge doors off, no need to remove glass.  Good advise if you do, get the cups, locking strip tool and a bone to work the gasket,  along with dish soap.  2 guys, stand on a tailgate or scaffold and you're home free.
'81 Eagle 15/45, NO MORE
'47 GM PD3751-438, NO MORE
'65 Crown Atomic, NO MORE
'48 Kenworth W-1 highway coach, NO MORE
'93 Vogue IV, NO MORE
1964 PD4106-2846
Vancouver, WA USA

Offline john9861

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 01:40:41 PM »
Tom,
   If you don't have to pull the windshield to get the new one in pull the doors & just cut the old one at the corners top to bottom. Or cut in half. Carry out in pieces. Sawsalls are great aren't they?...  Use some plastic too!
John Mellis
Bowman, SC
1982 Eagle Model 10 6V92TA Auto
It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years...

Offline Gold Talon

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 10:00:23 PM »
OK Gentlemen I want to thank all of you for your help and advise! I will tell you what we(friends and myself)did. Decided to buy another large fridge picked it up yesterday. Tonight some friends come over and we tried to get the old one out the door. Did not make it. So we pulled the windshield. Working out of the tail gate of my pick up. It went like clock work. The procedure keeping the rubber on the glass worked well. Starting at the outside bottom. The locking bead was removed and the inside rubber lip was pushed over the aluminum edge, that locks the windshield in.  When all but the bottom was over the lip, the windshield came out. We roped it back in using a strong mixture of dish soap and water on the inside of the lip. The rope was about 1/8" dia. and the two ends were left at the bottom. The rope was pulled slowly working the rubber over the retainer. The lock bead was put back in and we were done. In all I think it was about a 2 hour job. Thanks again!!!!! Tom

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 06:35:37 AM »
Glad !! Thanks for the follow up... ;D
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 06:49:03 AM »
Folks do it all the time but you should never use dish soap on the gasket or lock it starts the rubber to harden and then cracks same with baggage door rubber use JTM  or Murphy's tire mounting soap it never goes to waste you wash your tires with it gives you wet tire effect without collecting dust

good luck

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal