Author Topic: My last post - probably not going to sell my bus  (Read 5345 times)

belfert

My last post - probably not going to sell my bus
« on: September 25, 2006, 05:04:58 AM »
This will be my last post here before I delete my account.  I don't believe I am welcome here any longer with my bad attitude and such.

I truly will not be going on my trip.  The entrance door still does not work after troubleshooting a few hours on Sunday.  When MCI sent me wiring diagrams for the Dina, they forgot the page with the door control stuff on it.  Even if I had fixed the door on Sunday, there is no working plumbing, no seats or dinette table installed, and no wiring for trailer lights.  I would also need three or four hours to find and pack all the stuff for the trip.

I was hasty in deciding to sell the bus.  I probably will not sell it yet.  I was/am so majorly pissed off about missing my trip that I seriously considered burning the bus or running it off a cliff.  I got so mad that I decided selling the bus would be my best option.

I have been in a major, major bad mood since Saturday evening when the decision was made with the rest of the group to scrap taking the bus on the trip.  I have hardly slept the last two nights because of this bus issue.  It doesn't help that I'm madder than heck about missing the trip that I always take every year.  I simply don't want to camp in a tent in the dusty freezing desert.

And, yes, fuel costs are a major impediment to taking the bus anywhere.  I can't afford $1500 to $2000 for diesel for a one week trip by myself.  My friends and I split the fuel bill, but their limit is probably going to be $3.50 to $4.00 a gallon before they decide to drive something else.  I have really good job, but my friends mostly all work at low level jobs and barely scrap by.

Brian Elfert

Offline RTS/Daytona

• Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10
    • BUS CONVERSION PARTS FOR SALE / PROJECTS
Re: My last post - probably not going to sell my bus
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 06:08:55 AM »
Hey Brian

Did I miss something here - I been loosely following your "sell my bus" thread for the last few days now - I don't recall very much "unwelcomed" vibe responses.

Hey - almost all of us have been right where you are now - Frustrated / overwhelmed / disillusioned / and generally burned out - oh yea -  P*ssed and angry too!!

One of the guys on the RTS board said once - Bus conversions are like "try to eat an elephant - It can be done - Just got to do it one bite at a time"

So don't remove yourself from this board - just take a break - get back to the bus when you can - I would hate to see any member quit their conversion or this board

bet if you took a poll - most would vote that you should stray
Pete RTS/Daytona
If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 06:19:21 AM »
Brian,

I'm thinking like Pete just posted.  No need to delete your account just due to frustration!!  I'm certainly not thinking that you are unwelcome.  Far from it!   As I'm sure you've picked up from previous posts, most of us busnuts on budgets and with limited time go through the same things you are experiencing as well.

Just take a break! 

Also, sometimes we have spent less than $100 on fuel during a trip.   We just shortened up some of our destinations, and , viola!  Less fuel, but still having a blast in the bus.  Our last trip was only over to the church parking lot where the kids had a big sleep-over and movie watching party, along with the parents.  Lots of FUN!!!  All in the bus-

Best Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9, 1995 MCI DL3-45

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 06:20:19 AM »
Well,

I see Brian Allready Deleted Himself..... Too Bad...   Brian's Anger Lead him to be this way.

I'm sure when he cool's off, he will come to his sences and we will welcome him back.

For now, Let's all learn something about what just happened.

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 06:33:14 AM »
Brian,
I didn't think you had a bad attitude.
I do think you just had a bad day/ week.  Who hasn't?

I know how bummed out I get if I'm deprived of something I have been looking forward to.

All I'll suggest is to take some time to step back & look at what is best for you & do that.

Good luck however you decide.
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline BusCrazyTom

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 08:05:07 AM »
Ok, I'm the new guy here, just a busless newbie at that, and I've been reading Brian's posts and the replies over the last several days, trying hard to keep my yack shut, but I can't any longer so here goes. Just my opinion, to which you may add a buck and get a "free" cup of coffee.

It is always sad to watch someone "self-destruct", giving up on thier dreams due to frustration and burnout. While I have yet to start (much less complete) my bus conversion, I have been involved in many large, involved long term projects, and can honestly say that there's no better feeling in the world than the one you get when it's done. You can stand there and proudly say "I did it!", and it makes the pain, frustration and other problems along the way become all but forgotten.

If I've learned nothing else about bussing by hanging out on this board the past several months, I've learned that it is an individual passion, and everyone does it thier way (and should), and that there are as many justifications for doing a bus conversion as there are people doing it.

While I could never personally justify such an investment if I were only planning one big trip per year, my hope is that whatever Brian decides regarding his future with the bus, that he will still feel that he has gained from it, even walking away possibly a wiser man for the time he spent. Then, it will not have been a total loss for any of us.

In my opinion, the people of this board have been welcoming, helpful and supportive of all that I've seen come, including myself. You guys ARE the HERO's!

I think Nick is right. We can ALL learn something from this.

I'll shut up now and go back to being a mouse in the archives :)

Thomas Weeks
BusCrazyTom the Analog Dinosaur
Stupid Bus Newbie :)

Offline Buffalo SpaceShip

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 02:39:09 PM »
Brian, hopefully this "divorce" is just another emotion you're feeling at the moment. To go from Hero member to Zero member just because a couple of guys felt the need to kick you when you're down, ignores the fact that lots and lots of folks here, some many times over, have given advice and offered helping hands to you to and your conversion ideas, dreams, and disappointments over the past several months.

From your experiences and the knowlege you've learned and gleaned here, you should have lots more to contribute... even if you sell your bus (or drive it off a cliff  ;)) and never step inside one again.

Take some time to cool down, reassess, reevaluate, and rejuvinate. Then re-join us. We'll still be here.

Take care,
Brian Brown
Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO

Offline mdainsd

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 02:51:55 PM »
I think alot could be learned from Brian. It defeinatley made me think about how much or how little I thought I might ever get done.

In serveral of his threads he alluded to his bus not being the best choice, think he said Dina. Something like that can weigh on someone pretty heavily too.
"The difference between stupidity and genius, is that genius has it's limits" - Albert Einstein

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 04:46:53 PM »
2 years ago, we joked about hooking my friends great big boat to my bus and running them off a cliff. In reality my 6V71 would not pull his boat. But it was fun to contemplate!! But now his boat is fixed, had to take it to FL to find someone to fix the motor. My bus is done, and gas is 3 bucks a gallon, so we are ready to hook em up and over the cliff again!
 Some of the benefits of doing the bus is alot more patience and a deeper understanding of my limitatations.  A rise in my self respect, and self worth. A better appreciation for the people in my life. I am by nature an ingrate, but every time I stop and look around, I feel a deep sense of gratitude. But this is not for everybody, When ever some one new shows up I make it my bidness to point out the hours, money, frustrations involved. It really is not easy!!!
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Offline busnut104

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 05:38:55 PM »
I know how Brian feels, A coupl of years ago I just finished installing a 8v92 and having the 740 rebuilt at a allision shop. That winter I was going to make Jacks party in Flordia. Then at the last minute I changed my mine, I though that was to long of a trip not really having a chance to put the bus to a test. Well in the spring I was glad I did not try to make the trip. I took the bus out for a drive, which I had done several time after the eng transplant but this time I was lucky to make it home, to make a long story short when they rebuilt the 740 and put a updated valve body in they had to drill a hoe so the plantatary gears got oil. well you guest it they did not drill the hole, So I had to remove everthing and take it to the shop which was better then 100 mile away, and after 6 week I got it back and had to reinstall. When I did this eng swap I tried to do everthing right, ever wire and hose just so. I thought I would never have to do this again. Well there still seam to be little things about every time I take the bus out. A coupl of week ago I blew a power steerling hose, I though I had replace everthing that was wore or even looked so. Then next the tranmission filter leak, just need a little more tightening, Now this week end the back up camera quite working after pulling out my hair I found the problem, A mouse chewed off the wire. The only good thing is this all happened near home. But with that being said it makes me almost afraid to leave with the bus.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal