Author Topic: Toads (again) CVT Transmission?  (Read 2395 times)

Offline PP

• Will & Wife
    • Bookworm
Toads (again) CVT Transmission?
« on: May 17, 2011, 07:27:23 PM »
I consider my toad a part of the bus, so I hope putting this in the bus topic isn't a problem. I have a question. My wife was issued a Ford Escape Hybrid and in the owner's manual it states that it can be towed with all four down (front wheel drive and 4X4) by simply placing it in nuetral. It has a CVT transmission as do most hybrids. So here's the question: can any hybrid with a CVT transmission be towed four down by simply putting the lever in nuetral, or is this just something special with the Escape?
We're considering trading the Liberty in on something that is lighter and gets better mileage, but whatever we get must be towable 4 down. Any light shed on this subject will be greatly appreciated. I have called local dealers, but they don't seem to understand English, so I am bringing this question to the most knowledgable people I know (I know, I'm hurting  ;D)
Thanks, Will

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
Re: Toads (again) CVT Transmission?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 04:37:43 AM »
I have  Mercedes with CVT and it  cannot be towed four down (well, the manual says it can be towed at low speed up to 40KM total).  So I wouldn't make assumptions about CVT transmissioned vehicles.

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline PP

• Will & Wife
    • Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 08:05:09 AM »
Thanks for the input Brian. That bit of information kind of says it all -not all vehicles with CVT trans are designed the same- :(
Will

Offline TomC

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 08:54:59 AM »
Brian-what model of Mercedes has a CVT?  I didn't know any Mercedes were using that transmission.

I don't believe you can flat tow any CVT transmission.  On my Mercedes turbo Diesel with a 4spd automatic, I have the driveline disconnect to be able to tow it.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 12:20:10 PM »
the B200 isn't available in USA now but I think they are bringing it in for 2012.  It's a mid-size hatchback, really an excellent size and configuration.  I drove some of the C-class sedans and it has way more interior room, very comfortable.  Pretty entry level for a Merc, but has all the basic Merc type stuff, look and feel is good.  The CVT is by far the best automatic I have ever driven, and I like it a lot.  It has a normal mode, a sport mode and a manual mode where it simulates a 5 speed or a 6 speed manual, depending on the software load.  I drive it in normal mode and it is extremely cool to take off from a light, the engine goes to 2,000 rpm and just sits there until you are going 70 mph.  Sport mode it goes to around 2500 rpm and is a little more sensitive to throttle.  manual mode you toggle the shift lever back and forth to shift up and down.

http://www.carguidecanada.ca/posts/93-road-test-2010-mercedes-benz-b200

I just had it in today for an oil change.  Wife called yesterday, asked for an appointment.  A driver brought her back to the house after she dropped it off, in a Merc car, and will pick her up again when it's ready.  They do a full valet on it, inside and out.  They will actually do that for free if you show up on a saturday, they keep people in service to wash your car for you...   I have no idea what the oil change will cost, though   :o

Brian

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline TomC

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 02:41:31 PM »
Brian-actually-I wished MB would import the A class-think Mercedes that looks like a Honda Fit (I think Honda copied MB). Both the A and B class are available with Diesels in Europe.  They would get around 32 city and 51 highway (US gallons).  But-then I could only dream.  My truck will facilitate up to a 160" length car-so right now it looks like a Mini Cooper will be it (such a sacrafice!)  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal