Author Topic: What CB channel do you use?  (Read 10665 times)

Offline oldmansax

What CB channel do you use?
« on: September 25, 2006, 05:58:15 PM »
When traveling, What CB channel do bus nuts use? I know most truckers stay on 19 on the East Coast.  Is there a channel campers, bus nuts, motor home drivers and/or bus convertor wannabes use? Any suggestions? Comments? I was looking for some "camper" specific information on my way home today and, although I passed a number of class A motorhomes and at least one conversion, I could not raise anyone on the radio.  BTW, in case anyone in interested, our maiden voyage in "Tons of Funds" was a wonderful success!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D We had a BLAST!!!!!!
1995 Wanderlodge WB40 current
1985 Wanderlodge PT36
1990 Holiday Rambler
1982 Wanderlodge PT40
1972 MCI MC7

Ncbob

Re: What CB channel do you use?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 06:11:07 PM »
Hi, Tom...While it's been a few years since I was active on the CB bands..I usually monitor 19 because that there the Scare Bear info is and the truckers know where the accidents are and usually know an alternate around the tie-ups.

I listen more on the CB more than I talk, if you can imagine that, and if an RV'er calls I usually answer.  I generally flash the headlights at any RV going the other way and at times they'll give a call...because bus conversions on the Interstates are somewhat unique.

In reality I talk more to the truckers than other buses, but as I say they're rare.

Using 19 as a call channel is probably the best and if there's a lot of traffic you can always suggest going up or down.

FWIW......

NCbob

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 08:31:45 PM »
Tom,

I don't monitor the CB, but do use CH19 if traffic is slowing down to see whats going on.

The language is a little more than I want to listen too or my kids to here.

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline TomC

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 08:34:28 PM »
Many RV'rs use 14.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Runcutter

• Runcutter.com
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 05:34:57 AM »
Bringing the new coach back from the northeast, I monitored channel 19 periodically - turned it off when the conversations/noise got annoying.  Coming across Tennessee, trucker called me to tell me the temporary license plate was insecure.  Through Knoxville, I had early warning of stopped traffic.

So, for traffic and hazards, my choice is 19.

Arthur Gaudet   Carrollton, TX 
Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
Former owner of a 1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 07:59:09 AM »
Channel 21 used to be used by truckers on North South runs. Especially out west. Although channel was designated by FMCA as an RV channel many years ago, it never caught on. Just not enough RV's on the road at any one time, it seems, and the limited range is really a handicap.

Richard

Bringing the new coach back from the northeast, I monitored channel 19 periodically - turned it off when the conversations/noise got annoying.  Coming across Tennessee, trucker called me to tell me the temporary license plate was insecure.  Through Knoxville, I had early warning of stopped traffic.

So, for traffic and hazards, my choice is 19.

Arthur Gaudet   Carrollton, TX 
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 08:04:48 AM »
One of the nice things I have noticed while in the bus, that truckers will help you get over in a Jam.

I was in a slow down going through Atlanta and asked for a block from the truck behind me.

The Trucker and his buddy stopped traffic until I could get over.

I don't know if they would have done the same for a S&S, mostly based on there talking about them.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 10:23:14 AM »
When I rode in the big truck (long nose Pete) to bring Rosie home, the truck driver used 19 for everything. (The language did get nasty on occasion.) It took a while before I was able to tell the difference between the chatter & the bear/ traffic reports. Man, That was FUN!!!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D

The truckers were nice to the considerate S&S'ers, but sure did talk trash about the inconsiderate ones. I also saw how the truckers look out for the idiots & save us all from another crash induced traffic delay.

From behind the windshield of that Pete, I saw plenty of inconsideration & inexperience. I'm surprised more wrecks don't happen!  :o
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline edroelle

• 1998 Royale Prevost
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 05:19:00 PM »
My experience with truckers are that they are  considerate and helpful.   There are exceptions - but there are exceptions in the bus nut world also.  Some language was crude, so that I had to reduce the volume.

Ed Roelle
Flint, MI

Offline oldmansax

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 07:31:23 PM »
It looks like 19 is the channel of choice so I will stay on that. Like most of the others, I think I will have to censor the language; but I did that when I drove a truck myself.

Thanks for the input!
1995 Wanderlodge WB40 current
1985 Wanderlodge PT36
1990 Holiday Rambler
1982 Wanderlodge PT40
1972 MCI MC7

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 07:32:41 AM »
I also noted that most truckers practice road courtesy to buses and bus conversions by judicious use of headlights or clearance lights and seldom if ever showed this courtesy to the S/S RV's.
Richard

My experience with truckers are that they are  considerate and helpful.   There are exceptions - but there are exceptions in the bus nut world also.  Some language was crude, so that I had to reduce the volume.

Ed Roelle
Flint, MI
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 07:55:04 AM »
I also noted that most truckers practice road courtesy to buses and bus conversions by judicious use of headlights or clearance lights and seldom if ever showed this courtesy to the S/S RV's.
Richard

As an ex/ still once in a while truck driver I can shed some light on this "most bus/conversion drivers" recipocate the light flashings! Hardly ever do the S/S's ! Jsut my 2 cents worth which with $ 1.00 might get ya a cup of coffee these days! BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 12:07:07 PM »
Right you are Bryce. Every conversion I ever passed showed the truck driver courtesy, as well as myself of course.
Richard

Richard

As an ex/ still once in a while truck driver I can shed some light on this "most bus/conversion drivers" reciprocate the light flashings! Hardly ever do the S/S's ! Just my 2 cents worth which with $ 1.00 might get ya a cup of coffee these days! BK  ;D

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 12:18:07 PM »
I have to admit that sometimes I don't do the flashy lights thingy.

Usually it's when some jackass truck driver either can't figure it out or he wants to show off how great he is and pulls back into my lane with only 10 feet between me and his trailer. Do these idiots really not understand how much crap their tires kick up on my windshield? Why the hell can't they go on down the road another 1/4 mile before pulling back into my lane so they can put some distance between us?

I don't flash my lights when they blow my doors off, either, cause it usually doesn't matter; they're not going to be pulling back in my lane anyway  ;)

However, on the off chance I get to pass a truck and they signal me when I'm clear, I always respond with the emergency flashers after reentering the lane, just to say thanks. Even though I have the camera set to see when my toad is past them, it's always nice to get the confirmation when it's clear. And I always try to put plenty of space between me and them before moving back into their lane.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal