Author Topic: Air or Cable  (Read 5007 times)

Offline walter85eagle

Air or Cable
« on: September 28, 2006, 06:05:21 PM »
I have a 85 Eagle 10 with a broken throttle cable,should I replace cable.Or install air throttle. ???

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
Re: Air or Cable
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 06:14:48 PM »
Hello walter85eagle,

Welcome to the MAK BBS.

Allthough I don't know the answer to your question, I'm sure our members will steer you in the right direction!

Thanks for Joining!

Nick Badame
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 06:40:42 PM »
When I had the same problem with my 80 Eagle I replaced with the air throttle and loved it. If you have manual tranny I would stick with cable.
Richard

I have a 85 Eagle 10 with a broken throttle cable,should I replace cable.Or install air throttle. ???
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline TomC

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 10:40:40 PM »
Go with air for sure. The pedal pressure is nice and light, but does have some lag to it.  You can get used to it if you have a manual.  If you have an automatic, the air throttle is easy to use with an air powered throttle position solenoid mounted on the transmission.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 11:03:31 PM »
I have an air throttle on my 4106. It’s smooth, effortless and works very well. The only drawback is that it doesn’t work until the air is up. I have an automatic transmission, FWIW.
L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 06:38:13 AM »
Barn Owl is absolutely correct regarding the requirement for air pressure. Fortunately my King (?) cruise control had a fast idle feature that permitted running the engine at an adjustable fast idle during warm up when no air pressure was immediately available. It automatically disconnected when the tranny was put in drive.
Richard

I have an air throttle on my 4106. It’s smooth, effortless and works very well. The only drawback is that it doesn’t work until the air is up. I have an automatic transmission, FWIW.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline Runcutter

• Runcutter.com
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 03:44:18 PM »
Walter, don't know if this helps at all.  Company I was with, all GM, bought a pair of 4905's the first year the air throttle came out - early/mid 1970's.  Previous coaches all had cable throttles.  Thirty or so years later, I still remember the fleet numbers- Trombly Motor Coach 252 & 254.  Why?  Because I never could successfully shift the darned things.  RPM's dropped so fast, I blew more shifts than I made.

All the more embarrassing because I was not only a driver, but a dispatcher _and the instructor_.  Guess which buses I never used for instructing, and would only drive when there was no other option.  Some other folks did ok with them, so it may have been me.

Subsequent years' purchases, with later air throttles, were ok for shifting, though.  I know, these were GM's, and older than your Eagle, but I did want to share my experience that there was some variation in driving characteristics with same model, engine, transmission.  Important to note, these were all sticks, I don't have any experience with automatics in coaches.

Arthur Gaudet  Carrollton, TX
Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
Former owner of a 1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 08:07:54 PM »
I love the air throttle in my bus.  After driving my bus with it, I found myself wishing my pickup had one.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal