Author Topic: Roof AC hole size  (Read 6719 times)

Offline demodriver

Roof AC hole size
« on: May 28, 2011, 06:42:51 AM »
Ok I scored two FREE roof top AC units yesterday. They are a little old but they are FREE!

So my question. If these things die in a year are the holes that I cut for them going to be a standard size?  I had planned on putting them in the vent/emergency exit holes but those holes are alot bigger then what the AC require.  Thanks ahead of time.

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
Re: Roof AC hole size
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 06:47:18 AM »
I think that roof air holes are standard at 14" x 14".

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 06:55:26 AM »
As far as I know, the opening for all RV roof ACs has always been 14" by 14".

I installed our ACs in the emergency openings and built a square tube frame insert that I welded into the opening.  Filled in the opening with some scrap aluminum.

There has been a lot of discussion about removing the emergency opening.  Could be a problem is you lay your bus on the passenger side.  I have my old emergency hatch, but have not justified installing it again.  There is not much room anymore with three ACs, TV dome, Datastorm, and three solar panels on the roof.  

I figure there will be something that I can climb on to get out the RV window or I will kick out the windshield.  That may be a wishful thought process.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/

artvonne

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 07:03:31 AM »
  Once I get the AC's off the roof ill put in crank up roof vents, something like Fantastics. Still have the original escape hatch in the back, and the two fronts and two rear windows will remain, including the windows emergency escape bars.

Offline demodriver

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 07:06:01 AM »
thanks for the info.

How long should I give the unit to settle before I plug it in to test it out?  We removed them about 12 hours ago and had to put them on there side.

artvonne

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 07:08:04 AM »
  Some say 20 minutes. In reality they often dont take more than a minute or two. 12 hours is surely enough time.

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 11:57:57 AM »
Call Camping World and talk to the service manager.  Toll free you understand.
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline demodriver

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 03:24:22 PM »
well one units compressor wont kick in but the other one (the newer one) blows 40 degree air.  I got it about half of the way installed before the storms rolled in and haulted progress. 

Is there any way to determine what the problem is with the one units compressor not kicking on? I cant find any name or info on the unit whats so ever. Its a older unit and hasnt been ran for years.

thanks in advance

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 04:22:18 PM »
Low freon will cause the compressor not to engage. I have two 1979 Durotherms on my bus and I had to line tap one and give it a shot of R22. They don't take much, it's easy to do and the manual is on the net. I am not sure if you can get R22 anymore (non-licensed), I got mine right before big brother got tough on it, but you might have connections to someone who does.
L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

Offline demodriver

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 07:42:38 PM »
In high school I worked for a HVAC company. They are pertty good about hooking me up with deals on things still.  I know that they would help me out with the non working one but I thought I might be able to diagnose it with some help from you guys.  I just have to wate til tuesday and hope they have time and I am going on another short trip this friday morning.

thanks

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 05:45:37 PM »
Can you give us more information? Does the blower fan work? Does the compressor run but without cooling? etc. Can you be more specific on what "kicks on" means? We need more details to find out which part of the A/C system has failed so we can better help.
L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

Offline demodriver

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 07:42:01 PM »
It does everything except blow cold air. It does blow but the air is not cooled.  I figured there is a way to check and see if the compressor is working but I didnt know how.

thanks

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 11:16:14 PM »
It does everything except blow cold air....

Check to see if the evaporator is gooped up/clogged with dust.....is it frozen....like it needs "defrosted" then its plugged up....
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline chev49

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 02:12:25 AM »
you might try taking the cover off and plugging it in and feeling the compressor to see if its vibrating... and checking the lines going into it to see if one is hot n one is cold.... and u can get a gauge set to test the high n low sides...tis no different than a normal house frig or car a/c system or even a roof top unit on a strip mall..
not that i ever liked working on those when it was 110... :(
If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...

Offline demodriver

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 05:53:11 AM »
I have already took it apart and cleaned and it was nasty. Its all clear now and you can see thru the coils.

compressor isnt vibrating and no lines are either cold or hot.

thanks

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal