Author Topic: Roof Raising  (Read 13746 times)

Offline Tikvah

• Dave & Amy
Roof Raising
« on: June 01, 2011, 05:10:33 AM »
Can anyone recommend a website or source that does a good step by step on roof raising.

I understand cutting the window frames.. the sides are easy..... but I'm not understanding the front and back.

Application to the MCI would also be helpful.  Mine is a 102 A3
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
http://dave-amy.com/

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
Re: Roof Raising
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 08:14:30 AM »
I don't know of any website that has specific instructions.  Quite possibly some of the sites and blogs of members of this board can help.

The one critical piece of advice I can offer is to be absolutely sure that the coach is blocked up front, rear and middle and dead level before you cut anything.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 08:35:19 AM »
I wonder if anyone has documented how much a roof raise has affected their mpg?
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Offline Timkar

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 08:44:08 AM »
Cawston, British Columbia

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 09:27:43 AM »
I'm short; so roof raise wasn't really necessary for me in first 3 builds ,then I came across this xle salvage shell that was already raised roof now I see why a roof raise would be nice even for short chubby guys. The extra cabinet space and room for extra insulation and duct work -also a ceiling hugger fan.  Fred has the system for you  easy and tried. Jim is using it on a Prevost and said it is simple. In the front you can do it above the wind shield . Good Luck. Bob
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline Tikvah

• Dave & Amy
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 09:42:49 AM »
Does anyone have a picture of a R&M Fiberglass front raised roof?  I talked to them this morning, and they don't have any pictures of the front raised roof cap.

I already own the rear cap from R&M.  If I decide not to raise the roof, I will offer this for sale.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park

Offline Jriddle

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 08:09:36 PM »
John Riddle
Townsend MT
1984 MC9

Offline Depewtee

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 03:47:26 AM »
Does anyone have a picture of a R&M Fiberglass front raised roof?  I talked to them this morning, and they don't have any pictures of the front raised roof cap.
http://gallery.me.com/brianshonk/100036/Bus%20110

http://gallery.me.com/brianshonk/100036/Bus%20107

http://gallery.me.com/brianshonk/100036/Bus%20129

Brian S.

Brian Shonk
Fort Walton Beach, FL (Florida Panhandle)
1981 Prevost LeMirage Liberty Coach
1984 TMC MC-9

Offline chev49

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 09:34:34 AM »
I liked R & M many yrs ago when they would just set their caps outside close to the road.... ;D
If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...

Offline Tikvah

• Dave & Amy
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 09:55:04 AM »
I'm having a hard time justifying the project. 
I would like to do it, I really would.  But the wife and I just want to go enjoy the coach sometime this century, preferably before we're too old to remember where home is.
I can imagine a majority, or at least many, of you are now shaking your head in disappointment. 
I'm using basement split A/C, so I don't need my head to clear the overhead units.
I'll still have plenty of insulation. 
I think, I'm going to leave the roof as stock.  Besides, I would be willing to bet that this isn't my last coach project.  Maybe someday, I'll build another and raise the roof.  For now - Stock looks good to me.

I appreciate the pictures, web links and such.  That information is priceless and I thank each of you.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 10:20:39 AM »
I'm having a hard time justifying the project. 
I would like to do it, I really would.  But the wife and I just want to go enjoy the coach sometime this century, preferably before we're too old to remember where home is.
I can imagine a majority, or at least many, of you are now shaking your head in disappointment. 
I'm using basement split A/C, so I don't need my head to clear the overhead units.
I'll still have plenty of insulation. 
I think, I'm going to leave the roof as stock.  Besides, I would be willing to bet that this isn't my last coach project.  Maybe someday, I'll build another and raise the roof.  For now - Stock looks good to me.

I appreciate the pictures, web links and such.  That information is priceless and I thank each of you.

Sounds like an intelligent, well informed decision to me.  Kudos to you for that. That's what makes a good busnut. Solicit and examine all available information and then make a decision that meets your individual needs.  Good job.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline Tikvah

• Dave & Amy
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 10:24:34 AM »
Thanks for the support Craig.

Your site has been one of great information and encouragement. 
I appreciate the work you have put into your project and your website.  It certainly helps the next generation of busnuts
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!

Offline Jriddle

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 04:59:31 PM »
My wife and I are vertically challenged and don't need that much head room. I do have some friends come to look that need to duck for the ac units. I have spent the last three or four years doing  what I have done and the roof raise would have pushed the build out even farther. I have to say we are only 80% done with our build and sure are glad to be using the bus. Raising roof would be desireable but time, money and need all come into play.
Good choice in my book.

John
John Riddle
Townsend MT
1984 MC9

Offline Iver

• 1979 MCI-9
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
Our first coach was a MC-9.   We studied, planned, asked questions, and finally were convinced that a roof raise was what we should do.
So we cut, raised, added new caps, reinforced the framing, skinned the sides and the job was done.

.............................That took about 4 years working part time.............

We finally gave up, sold the coach for someone else to finish, and bought one which was already converted.
It does not have a raised roof but it does have bas't air.  The height doesn't bother me a bit.  We don't need the extra headroom and we have a coach we can use.

If you have lots of time, raising the roof is not difficult.  I just wouldn't do it again.
         Good luck with whatever you decide, 
                     Iver. 
Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada
"Life may not be the party we hoped for,
But while we are here we might as well dance".

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 01:38:24 AM »
I've mentioned on here before my 'alternative' way of raising a roof:- I left the bus sides untouched and did the raise in the roof panel itself, with the raise starting behind the drivers seat and finishing a few inches from the back (in both those locations on my bus there were 'double beams' - ie., two roof beams side-by-side, one of which became the last 'low' beam, and the other became the first 'high' beam).

The metalwork itself probably took a three week's worth of evenings and weekends, after which I had to make up some long fibreglass panels to cover the gap I had created. I also chose to make a complete new front cap from scratch, although having a Buffalo-style step would have been a much faster and easier solution. For the rear cap I cut the existing one into two and added fibreglass to make it taller.

So raising a roof doesn't necessarily require the complete reskinning and re-glazing of the bus, and the complication of raising the front and back of the roof can be avoided too.

Jeremy
A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal