Author Topic: Looking for a new shower stall.  (Read 4268 times)

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
Looking for a new shower stall.
« on: June 05, 2011, 03:56:27 PM »
Hey Folks,
  I'm redoing my bathroom and it's lookin goooooooood.......... if I have to say so myself.  ::)  ;D
  The next thing on the agenda is the shower stall. I have "EXACTLY" 32" x 32" for the base. But as most of you know, the "Buffalo's" curve in as they get to the ceiling. Any suggestions?? ?? I know some use FRP but I'm just not wanting to do that. I have that now and am not overly impressed.  I'd prefer some sort of stall that can be modified.
  Any idea's or manufacturer's to look at?? Model #'s??

'preciate it!!!
   Chaz

P.S. Tile is not an option. Sorry.  :-\
Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
Re: Looking for a new shower stall.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 04:06:42 PM »
Chaz;
 I thought you were a welder and designer of fine beautiful ( from what I have seen on your site, Love the house dude) Metal art. Why not make a copper lined or SS with some copper accents etc. Pressed Leaf or a leopard with long tail wrapping around it. Continued on the door in sand blasted glass, Think man Think, Lol

Come on NOW get to work. I want pictures too!!!! :o 8) 8)

Dave
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline Melbo

• MC8 under construction
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 04:11:19 PM »
Lacquer or poly urethane coating would make it really stand out too.

I am liking this idea.

Keep us posted.

Melbo
If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF

Offline pabusnut

• P8M4905A-333 former MK&O lines #731
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 04:43:30 PM »
Chaz,

I used a 32"x32" shower pan.  Over my 3/8" plywood walls I then attached the 1/4" thick wonderboard.  I then tiled over that with 4"x4" classic white tiles.  I used the latex stuff for the thinset and the grout.  This way I could cut the tiles to conform to the curve.  I also put the shower head way up in the corner, so hopefully I can get under it without ducking too far.  The plan is to put a shutoff valve prior to the 1st shower head 2nd shower head on a flexible tube, with a spring loaded handle/shutoff valve.  This would be like the sprayer used in restuarants to rinse the food scraps off dishes prior to putting them in the dishwasher.  I will post pictures as soon as I find them!
Steve Toomey
PAbusnut

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 04:50:05 PM »
I like the stainless steel ideal 22ga over plywood? if you need height you could lower into bay a few inches instead of going up. Most stalls you have to step up 3 inches to get into/over. I just lowered my base 3 inches and stepped down/door swings level with floor then.
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline skihor

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 04:52:31 PM »
"Cultured Marble" panels. Can be made to order and cut to fit. Basically it's 70% powdered limestone mixed with polyester resin. Start with a "base" color and have as many "accent" colors swirled/mixed in as you want. You can have soap dishes/shelves/seat etc... made at the same time, to match, or accent. While you're at it you can have the bathroom vanity top/sink made to match, and, even the kitchen counter top. It's the same stuff as the "preformed" bathroom vanity sink tops. Typical thickness is 3/8". Scratches can be polished out easily. It cuts fairly easy too with a good thin kerf carbide blade. (cut from the backside)
Whatever you go with use a Laser Level that projects lines and measure back to accomodate out of level/plumb/square cuts.

Don & Sheila

Offline scanzel

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 05:56:18 PM »
I bought a Lasco Bath Products 36" X 36" X 72" acrylic shower enclosure from the Home Depot and I am putting that in and doing a side isle bathroom so the shower unit will be some what in the center of the coach where the ceiling is only 76" high. I wanted to keep it simple and functionable.
Steve Canzellarini
Myrtle Beach, SC
1989 Prevost XL

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 07:04:38 PM »
Thanx Scanzel, I'll look into that one.
That's a great idea Don.... but there is this bad taste in my mouth from "trying" to use them before. They were supposed to make me one for my house before HGTV came out to shoot it (see link on my site: www.amstudio.us) but they screwed it up and I had to forgo shooting the bathroom (which is way cool) >:(  >:(. But maybe I can find another manufacturer close.
You're a nut Dave!  ;D I actually did do the base for my shower in my house. (after the cultured marble idiot's a$$-ed it up) It's pretty cool and I used glass for the walls with faux cave painting behind them. I just didn't want to put that much into this project. That's a bunch of work!! :o  And I do have enough stainless sheets from a "great buy" but I'm looking for something a little more subtle. S.S. is a little industrial/commercial looking. But believe me, it's within the realm of possibility!  ;D Maybe Cliff will show ya what I did out of copper for him for his breast plate, if he reads this thread. It turned out pretty good. I'd be partial to a lizard that stretched all three panels, if I did copper.  ;D (I'm doing a Southwest decor/feel)
IF (and that's a BIG "if") I did do it, I'd leave it "raw" Mel. When you coat it, it's just like (cause it is) paint. Too much maintenance and fear of scratching. But leaving it raw you either live with the colors it turns or learn to love "bright work". Personally, I had enough of that in the Navy!  :P
 Thanx again guys!! Good fun. But, I am still hoping someone has done this and knows the hot ticket. I'll check out Lasco. But I just hate to order something without knowing it will work. I'm the kind of guy who would rather take a beatin than take something back.

Have a good one!!
Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 07:32:48 PM »
Ok Gecko

Dave ;D ::) :D
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline crown

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 07:58:26 PM »
 chaz i used a shower unit from a salvage rv it was fiberglass i then made cuts in the fiberglass to make
  it fit the round walls re fiberglased it and looks like new can post pics if you want to see what i did
   john
john
 57 crown
 costa rica

Offline scanzel

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 03:45:02 AM »
Home Depot has some on display so you can see them. Some of them are also made in pieces so you can get them into the coach through the door. Lasco makes mant different styles and colors. I went with the 36x36 so we would not be cramped when showering. Good Luck.
Steve Canzellarini
Myrtle Beach, SC
1989 Prevost XL

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 05:53:18 AM »
Thanx Guys.
The fiberglass would be doable but I'm hoping for something a little less involved in modifying. I have a '60's Manx clone dune buggy that I worked the fiberglass out on and I'm hoping to not have to get into that stuff again.  :-\ But it wasn't too hard to do. Did you repaint the surface/gelcoat?
I saw what HD has but, like you said, I only saw a 36x36. I didn't see a 32x32 but then I never looked in the books. Do you think the acrylic walls would "bend" to fit the curve?? My guess is that they are "flimsier" than the fiberglass making it easier. So I would just have to make good cuts and "silly putty" it. OR!, maybe a couple copper accents in the corners to keep up my reputation with Dave.  ;D :D :D Gizzards (a compromise between Gecko and Lizard) would probably work well.
  Just a thought.  ;)
   Chaz

Offline scanzel

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 10:57:28 AM »
They make a 32x32 and a 34x34 if I remember correctly. The acrylic units are more rigid than fiberglass. They have fiberglass strands sprayed on them for extra strength. I don't think they would bend without some cracking. Because we choose a color besides white it was shipped to HD for pickup $400.
www.lascobathware.com
Steve Canzellarini
Myrtle Beach, SC
1989 Prevost XL

Offline Van

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 11:34:25 AM »
Chaz, Lol! you and I must be neck and neck in our conversions ;D Next on deck for us is the shower too ;). We did some shopping around for one that would be a cinch to put in, ready set go, no dice, I only got 77 inches to work with :'( so decided on this one after seeing it installed in another Eagle. http://www.maaxcollection.com/Produits/ProductInfo.aspx?tpe=33&fmly=1834&mdl=2555
 With some modifornication ;D I think we can be happy with this one. All the best! ;)

Van
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 11:43:34 AM »
Van,
Wow! Lucky you!! My shower is built in between two (basically permanent) closets. 32x32 max! I'm going to have to go a differnt route.
Scanzel has some good ideas. It looks like I may go that way if nothing else shows up. I could do the FRP but, I just can't warm up to it.
Thanx Guys,
   Chaz

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal