Author Topic: Us newbies need some tutorials from some of you more experienced bus nuts!  (Read 1849 times)

Offline Mex-Busnut

Dear Friends:

I would like to suggest (and I myself would like to learn...):

1. A tutorial on the proper use of Jake brakes (Our new bus has a 6V92TA with the engine Jake brakes).

2. A tutorial on the proper use of exhaust brakes (Our church skoolie, with a 5.9-Liter Cummins now has a Jacobs exhaust brake installed, to help us in the mountains with a load of 28 kids on missions trips.)

3. Maybe some others could use a tutorial on the proper use of retarders that come on many of the automatic transmissions. (Maybe some of us already feel retarded for asking...)

I am sure some others have a million questions.

And thanks in advance for your kind answers.
Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
I started a serries last winter basic electric-basic water/plumbing  etc should we revisit this and other basic topics ever 6 months for refreshing ourselves and people new to the hobby? I seem to learn something new in every discussion. On my fourth build now.  Lots of info in search feature but sometimes hard to know what question to bring it forth. I personally have no  problem repeating discussion and it does not offend .      No dumb question except the one not ask!     Bob
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline luvrbus

I have to disagree with Bob on the dumb questions the years I been here I have read some good ones LOL my problem is what some call a item they are asking advice on as I have no idea what they are talking about 

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline chev49

That is great question.. If there was a separate website with everyones input, the thing would be huge..given the level of experience and various viewpoints of the posters.  Lotsa smart people on here and a lot of differet opinions.
If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...

Offline Cary and Don

Maybe there can be a section added to the first page for newbie questions.  After it has been covered here, it can be moved there under a topic heading.  I know the same questions get asked over and over.  The problem for doing a search as a newbie, you don't always know what you are searching for. If the section could be divided into basic areas such as, chassis, engine, transmission,  electrical, plumbing, driving, etc.  It would make it easier to find the topic needed.  This would be for the most basic of questions that tend to repeat themselves.  Like How to buy a good bus. How to drive in the mountains.  What oil to use.

Don and Cary
1973 05 Eagle
GMC 4107
Neoplan AN340
1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340

Offline Mex-Busnut

Or maybe once a question is properly answered, we could synthecize it into a downloadable PDF file.
Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
Jake brakes

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
When it's all said and done I do it my way with the best info available. some ideas I like some I just don't think fits my way. Great thing about this hobby we aLL ARE FREE to screw up or suceed to the highest level. I will however share my mistakes with others. believe me there has been many.  Happy bus building     Bob
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline Tikvah

• Dave & Amy
As a newbie myself, I've noticed when I do a search many of the topics have lost their pictures.  I find pictures are worth a thousand words.  And, if the picture has vanished, the posting becomes less helpful.

Another note, sometimes pictures are lost because users have moved files in their PhotoBucket account.  Other times, apparently, the pictures are gone because this forum has a age limit (that is just a guess).

Dave
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
http://dave-amy.com/

Offline Mex-Busnut

So...

Who is going to post the first tutorial? We will neame him "King Tut", or her "Queen Tut".
Jake brakes

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal