Author Topic: Stop me before I do something really stupid  (Read 10282 times)

Offline DEMOMAN

• 1978 TMC MC8
Re: Stop me before I do something really stupid
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 10:08:43 AM »
I went to a bus rally in Florida about three years ago and there was a Busnut that had a lot of Diamond Plate inside and outside of his coach.  It looked pretty cool and it wasn't too much.  He had some other cool things set up inside too like either air or electric cylinders to move beds and such around.  I can't remember exactly what it was, but it was neat.  I will see if I can find some pics of it for you.

DEMOMAN
Like I don't have enough unfinished projects! :-\

Eric
Sturtevant, WI

Offline gus

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 02:45:49 PM »
Why cover windows at all, never could understand that??

It just makes a beautiful bus look like all the other S&S going down the road.

A bus on the outside and an RV on the inside is as good as it gets!!
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline rampeyboy

• 1954 Scenicruiser PD4501-227
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 05:36:07 PM »
I just checked my rear window blank a minute ago. It was covered in light weight (.020 I think 3003) aluminum last year, maybe August or September. It has not wrinkled yet. Could be though because it's not flat. It almost has a compound curve. I will say the 3003 can corrode easily, so paint it, prime it, or alodine it ASAP. Next time I think I will use 6061 or 2024.

Boyce
Boyce Rampey
Columbia, SC
Scenicruiser 227

Offline Tikvah

• Dave & Amy
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 06:27:53 PM »
6061 Aluminum was my original intention, then I started leaning more toward using 16 ga. cold roll steel.  Now, I'm undecided.  Tomorrow I will have all my supports in place (I hope) and I need to make a decision soon.

1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
http://dave-amy.com/

Offline NEO/Russ

• NEO/Russ
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2011, 06:56:21 PM »
Well, maybe ridiculous, but when you consider that it would never be painted, and always shinny, it doesn't seem so expensive.  Thoughts?  Other suggestions?

My company produces tens of thousands of ALDP (aluminum diamond plate) trailer fenders every year.  We sell to boat trailer, utility trailer, cargo trailer, etc. companies who produce the compete trailer.  I would stay away from it.  It scratches very easy, lot's of things stain it and it dulls in a year or two (more where there are certain chemicals in the air).  It can be shined, but you'll be doing it a lot.

Yes i agree it would be unique, but it sure would take a lot of elbow grease to maintain.

Russ
Well no longer a bus nut, but over the years I learned a lot here and still come back to see what I can apply to the conversion of my KW T2000 for hauling my Teton fifth wheeler.

Offline dvrasor

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 12:38:13 PM »
I used .080 5052 alloy to skin over the windows.
I believe this is the same alloy used by I.B.P for
aluminium body skins.

dvrasor

Offline Scott & Heather

• Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102
  • MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 07:40:44 PM »
Why cover windows at all, never could understand that??

It just makes a beautiful bus look like all the other S&S going down the road.

A bus on the outside and an RV on the inside is as good as it gets!!

Gus,

It's mostly because it's very difficult to keep the coach warm or cool with so many single pane windows. They are large too so this compounds the climate control problem. Some people remove the seats and move in...easy, but in the long run it's a bummer.
Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9

Offline Chopper Scott

• MCI 7
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 07:47:08 PM »
Another negative vote on the aluminum deck plate. It will look like crap down the road. Go with the steel and don't try to reinvent the wheel. Aluminum skins will also require special primer which adds to the cost. Folks that have "been there, done that" have spoken. Sometimes cheapest, easiest, and best looking can all be the same. Look at me for example!! ;D ;D
Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.

Offline gus

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 08:14:52 PM »
Scott,

You can always block the insides of windows with some type of good insulation and even cover it over with some type of wall cover. This will preserve the great original look and sure is a lot less work. This allows you to change your mind late on if necessary without a lot of undoing.

What you don't want to do is cover too many windows and make the interior too dark. This is a common failing of most S&S factory designs. My 4104 had a bunch of windows painted black inside when I got it. I got tired of this dark effect and scraped all the black paint off, a real pain of a job, but the results were great. It made the interior much more cheerful.

Not the least of which it sure saves a bunch of outside metal work that may or may not look very good. I've seen some pretty good looking ones but a whole bunch of real messes.

I just wish my 4107 still had all the original windows and hump in front but it was such a good buy I couldn't pass it up.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline Ericbsc

• 73 05
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2011, 12:21:02 PM »
Out of the box here!!! Make the bay doors to look like drawers, then put a big Craftsman, Kobalt, etc. sign on it. Look like a huge custom tool box!! Would not be another one anywhere!!

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2011, 01:34:21 PM »
There is no rite or wrong in bus building. Just because I like less windows or more windows or steel or alum it is my choice. I f we all Liked the same things we would be driving identical vehicles married to identical wives etc. everything is a trade off. Just because the big boys use a product doesn't mean it's the only way . If you decide on Alum I would observe to help control waving maybe a good thick helping of insulation and a light color paint to help control quick temp changes.Happy bussing  Bob.
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline gus

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2011, 01:52:48 PM »
Bob,

I fully agree with you, to each his own. What I am trying to say is that once the metal work is done there is no easy way back if one changes his mind. If only the window interiors are covered it is much easier and just as effective insulation wise.

Also, conversions with original exteriors are rare anymore and some of them need to be saved.

My 4107 looks so much like a S&S that most people don't have a clue it is a bus. On the other hand the 4104 has  a completely original exterior. Guess which one gets the most compliments and comments? Even my own daughter said "the 4104 is much classier" when I drove up to her house in the 4107!

I bought it mostly for the Sheppard power steering, the beautiful condition and the bargain price. The Allison AT was just a bonus but not a necessity. The 4104 power boost steering was killing me after long drives, I'm an old wimp and can't take it anymore!!
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

artvonne

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2011, 05:01:31 AM »
  Agree on most points, rolling toolbox, etc.. But please, nobody start making a "woody" out of a Bus.

Offline Van

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2011, 05:10:54 AM »
Too late! ;D
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2011, 05:53:52 AM »
To late Paul a guy around Eugene has a GM 4107 woody actually it is pretty neat I'll see if I can dig some photos up for you

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal