Author Topic: treatment at RV Parks  (Read 13103 times)

Offline Allex

treatment at RV Parks
« on: September 27, 2006, 12:35:48 PM »
I have been in California for the summer. I have had a problem with the RV parks not wanting to let me in because i had a comversion. This has happened more than once. I spent time in San Diego and Escondido also in San Dismas. It has been a struggle to get to stay at all of these places. We have a eagle with three slides not a bad looking home. We are going over to the beach close to LAX does anyone know where we could stay over there.
Thanks Alex

Offline TomCat

• It's 4:20 somewhere...
    • Jay's Conversion Pics
Re: treatment at RV Parks
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 04:07:17 PM »
Stay out of Half Moon Bay, southwest of San Fanscisco. I was asked to remove my conversion from his park, and encoraged along with "Get that G** D*** thing outta here..."

Jay
87 SaftLiner
On The High Plains of Colorado

Offline TomC

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 04:37:22 PM »
You won't be able to fit at Dockweiler beach RV park. It has a 35ft limit and it is basically a parking lot with hookups-although it is right on the beach.  In the L.A. area, you can stay in the Anaheim area-lots of RV parks with Knotts Berry Farm and Disney right there.  In Pomona is the Fairplex KOA-the fair is over this Sunday, so should be good. Have Pudingstone reservoir RV park right above the Fairplex that is nice, but a bit more expensive.  Then out in Valencia by Magic Mountain is an RV park.  If you go north of Santa Monica on the coast highway about 21 miles, you'll come to Malibu Coast RV park-right across the highway from the beach, but pricey.  Now that school is in, you can try Leo Carrillo State Beach Park-even though they advertise 32ft max, they will let you stay if you can find a spot that you can fit in, and those spots are to the right after you clear the gatehouse up against the hill since these spots you park parallel on the drive instead of backing in-which you won't fit.  Stayed a couple of times there-is away from city, right across the street from the beach (have an highway underpass to cross), has a store, only drawback is no hook ups, but they do have a couple of dumps and water available.  If you go north further, the next place any RV parks are are in Oxnard and Ventura.  Hope you find one.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Cary and Don

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 08:37:37 PM »
We must be lucky, have never had that problem.  In Pismo Beach, The Pismo Sands.  Again a little pricey.  Really nice though and they have nice pull throughs or back ins.  Our 35ft was small compared to some in there.   We were careful to put an old mat under the engine to make sure we didn't leave any calling cards on their pretty concrete.  In Cresent City up north, Ramblin Rose, very reasonable in the redwoods.  Cary
1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340

Offline RJ

• Vantaré Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 06:55:47 AM »
Allex -

And for heaven's sake, NEVER tell the folk at the front desk that you've got a "bus conversion"!!

It immediately conjures up images of a rattle-trap old hippie skoolie.

Tell the folk you've got "a 40 foot Class A diesel pusher" instead.   ;)

HTH. . .
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline Buffalo SpaceShip

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 08:01:29 AM »
Tell the folk you've got "a 40 foot Class A diesel pusher" instead.   ;)

I have also used the term motorcoach when making reservations. Makes folks think of Prevosts... instead of Partridge Family that the word bus conjures up for some reason.

You might also try the State Beaches up or down the coast from LA. As long as you can fit there, you'll get no snooty attitudes no matter what term you use to describe your conversion.

HTH,
Brian
Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO

Dallas

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 08:57:29 AM »
This has nothing to do with California snootiness, but it does show that discrimination is rampant throughout the country:

Cat and I were camped at Warriors Path State Park in Kingsport, Tn. and we decided to fond a campground down by Erwin, Tn. to be closer to some friends of ours.

We drove around, (in the toad),  with our friends for a few days looking at different campgrounds and asking about rates and facilities.

We pulled into one just north of Erwin that had probably 50 sites and a shower house. When we asked about a spot we were told one price and when we were asked about what kind of rig we had, I told them that we had an older Trailways bus conversion.
Hmmmm, it got awefully cold in that room! All of a sudden, different prices started going up, like if we had Roof A/C it would be $2.00/day more and if we needed 50A it would be and extra $3.00/day. and the list went on.

Finally they asked when we would be coming and we told them that it would probably be a few weeks, so they asked us to send them a photo of our rig to see if it "fit" in with their clientele.

Now you have to understand, there were maybe 15 campers and Motor homes there, some of which hadn't seen the road for maybe 5-10 years. Others had broken windows, green stuff built up on the paint and not one of the units was newer than about 1978.

After that we decided not to stay, but I did email them a picture of our bus. Our bus IS pretty ugly, but it would have fit there.
What I did was go into Photoshop with a picture and add a few things, like 2 stove pipes coming out of windows, with smoke curling up, a piece of galvanized corragated roofing stuck out over the door, 3 pallets for steps, a flat tire on the front and different coloured wheels all the way around. Oh, and there happened to be 3 dogs in the picture. a pitbull, procreating with a Jack Russel and an old Black&Tan squatting to poop.

I captioned it, "Your Favorite Nightmare, A**hole".

Childish? yes. Did I feel better? By golly, I felt a whole bunches better!

Would I do it again? In a heartbeat!

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 09:29:06 AM »
Dallas,

I’m laughing so hard I’m crying! Do you still have the photo? Post it if you do. I would rather be in the company of nice people in hippie schoolies than around a bunch of snooties any day.
L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

Offline n4rsn

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 12:32:45 PM »
Was this kind-of-like you sent them??
I like this picture, I send it to whoever wants to check out my conversion.  HA
Steve

I hope this posts, if not I will try again.  1st time.!!!

Offline n4rsn

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006, 12:34:28 PM »
I gotta find somethin bigger.  Gotta have some place fur the chickens.

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 02:50:26 PM »
My Grandfather has that same model truck behind his barn (minus the house part). I just now noticed the “stove pipe man” on the back porch. It would be a blast to have something like that. Beverly Hillbillies type of thing. :P
L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2006, 05:50:11 AM »
It must go pretty fast. Check out the angle of that TV antenna.  :D

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Dallas

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2006, 05:57:57 AM »
Was this kind-of-like you sent them??
I like this picture, I send it to whoever wants to check out my conversion.  HA
Steve

I hope this posts, if not I will try again.  1st time.!!!

I've had that same picture on my wifes computer since about 2000!

I don't know if I still have the other one that I sent to the campground, I'll have to dig for it while my sweety isn't looking.

I know I'll never have a modern looking, Marathon type coach, but as long as it's clean and neat, I don't see a problem.

As for the truck, I've hauled many, many tons of hay, potatoes, carrots and equipment with one of those old girls! They were pretty bullet proof and simple to work on.

Offline TomC

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2006, 07:19:59 AM »
I got a simple solution.  If the campground is that snooty, they don't need my money either.  I have found that many of the clientel that have the big expensive factory made bus conversions in the hundreds of thousands, even into the millions, are people that were not so well off when they were young and have this overwhelming need to prove that they "have made it".  Personally, I have no time for such ostentatiousness.  So stay in the campground that suits your lifestyle and stay out of the ones that are outside those requirements.  As we all say here-do it your way!  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2006, 08:15:29 AM »
Thought you might enjoy the pics of my family and some of my inventions. Patents have been applied for.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal