Author Topic: Equal tire balancing  (Read 4494 times)

Offline opus

Equal tire balancing
« on: June 15, 2011, 07:53:49 AM »
Anyone familiar at all with this stuff: http://www.imiproducts.com/equal/tire-balancing.html

They have asked my local tire store to carry it.  He told them to send some freebie stuff so they can try it.  I have the option of having my tires done, for labor costs only. 

Whatcha think?
1995 BB All-American - A Transformation.

Offline norules

Re: Equal tire balancing
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 08:04:04 AM »
Great stuff

"""IF"""

You have them install the stem filters !!!!

You don't want that stuff getting into your tire valves - the filters prevent that

Offline Sean

• Geek.
  • '85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"
    • Our Odyssey
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 08:49:52 AM »
I ran this stuff in my first set of new tires on the coach.  I was not impressed.  While it is better than no balancing at all, I have had better results with dynamic balancing using traditional weights.  In addition to being less effective than traditional balancing, it is very demanding.  You need to have the screens on the valves, but you also need to make certain that any air you add to the tire (in addition to the initial fill) is bone dry, which can be a challenge if you top up at, say, truck stops.  When the tires are mounted, they can't use any lubricant, and they can't use it to dismount them either unless you want to remove all the Equal and put fresh in every time.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Offline TomC

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 08:58:35 AM »
After 21 years (and 1.3 million miles) of being an owner/operator truck driver and trying all different types of balancing methods-including Equal-here's what I discovered works the best.   Number one-when buying new tires, have ALL tires balanced-including the rears. Use Centramatics balancing rings at least on the front axle.  The rears are not as noticable.  Also-when doing a brake job, make sure your brake drums have been balanced too!  When buying new brake drums, I would pay the extra money for Centrifuse brake drums that are cast iron with steel inserts (also Steelite drums).  All the tire balancing in the world won't do a bit of good if you have out of balance brake drums.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 11:27:04 AM »
NO!!!!NO!!!!!NO!!!!!

That stuff ruined two perfectly good Michlen ZXA tires. Plus it sped the wear up on two others. Got rid of that stuff, no more issues. I won't touch that stuff.
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline opus

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 12:32:38 PM »
I was wrong about the product, this is actually it: http://www.counteractbalancing.com/

I had mine done today at a total cost of $18.50. 
1995 BB All-American - A Transformation.

Offline gus

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 01:55:30 PM »
Let us know in six months or 10,000 mi how it works.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline RichardEntrekin

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 02:33:51 PM »
John,

Not disputing your assertion that Equal gave you a problem, but it's not something I hear often. Would you mind sharing what the failure mode was? What happened?  What did you see when the tire was dismounted?

Thanks
Richard Entrekin
99 Newell, Detroit S 60
Subaru Outback toad
Inverness, Fl

Often wrong, but seldom in doubt

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 02:50:34 PM »
Check your tire warranty not that they are that great to start with but all the major manufactures void the warranty if you put any thing inside the tire like the balancing materials or a sealant.
When they try and sell those products to me I ask for the manufactures approval in writing so far I never received one lol

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline mikelutestanski

• Mikes Metal Mistress
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 03:26:19 PM »
Hello:    Whilst in harlingen TX one of my duals had a slow leak but only while setting still. normally it might lose a pound while I was travelling but when I stood down for a few days it went flat.  This tire is 5 years old and had equal installed.  I found a tire shop and the young gentleman who broke it down could not find a leak anywhere .
  He did notice that the tire inflation stem was not proper for an equal installed tire. The valve in the stem is longer  Than normal when you install equal (according to him).  As far as the screens I dont know.   THe rim was pitted a bit so He sealed it and I had him install a new stem with the proper valve.  WE did not put equal in the tire.  I did notice that the equal was balled up a bit. So since then the tire has stayd right up .
   I check my tires with a gage everyday before I drive it.   I did buy the gage type caps from RTS Pete last year but i only put those on the inners and the one short stem tire that is on the tag.
      Apparently every equal tire should have a yellow band around the stem denoting the fact that equal is in the tire.  FWIW.   My conclusion is to go back to balancing with weights. and this spring when i replaced the steers that is what happened.
       Regards   mike

Mike Lutestanski   Dunnellon Florida
  1972 MCI 7
  L10 Cummins  B400R  4.625R

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 02:53:42 AM »
Is this like the practice of dropping in some "golf balls" to balance the tire?  As I remember, that worked for some.  Just curious,

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline wal1809

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 05:14:45 AM »
Is this like the practice of dropping in some "golf balls" to balance the tire?  As I remember, that worked for some.  Just curious,

John

I have heard the same about using golf balls.  I just never thought I needed to as the traditional balancing has worked well for me during my limited time of bus ownership.
1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 10:56:28 AM »
I think that Centramatics have a proven track record.  It is possible to get them used, although the 900-910 model needed for the 16.5 inch front drums that many have are hard to find.  I just ordered some new ones.  They are not terribly expensive in the big picture of bus expenses, and you can use them over and over again saving the balancing cost each time.  Once you have them, your set for life.  Why experiment?
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 11:13:08 AM »

John

I have heard the same about using golf balls.  I just never thought I needed to as the traditional balancing has worked well for me during my limited time of bus ownership.

Wal,

I like your approach and I personally use it.

Thanks,

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 11:18:24 AM »
Once you have them, your set for life.  Why experiment?

Lin,

I thought the Cents were supposed to supplement the balance.  That isn't true?  What is the limit that they can compensate?  I take it you have been looking into this for yourself.  My interest is academic at this point.

Thanks,

John
—Pla

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 12:29:28 PM »
John,

I have forgotten what the total weight of the ball is, but the balancers are meant to do the complete job- not merely a supplement.  Here is a link to some tech info on their website.  I believe the studies are independent.

http://www.centramatic.com/Page.aspx?page=Tech%20Facts
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 03:41:00 PM »
Over the years I have either bought buses that had golf balls in them, or tried "Equal & Counter Act" and have had some success with all. But these days we just have them traditionally spin balanced with traditional weights!
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline buddydawg

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 03:44:34 PM »
I just bought 2 steer tires and had them balanced with the traditional lead weights.  Rides like a dream.
1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA

Offline chev49

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 08:42:47 PM »
I just balance steers n not worry too much about the rest... course i started driving trucks in 1961 and since then have been used to bouncing along for the first 5 miles... ;D
If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...

Offline chev49

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 08:45:16 PM »
guess how easy the steering was in the 1940 and 1950 trucks.... ;D
If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...

Offline TomC

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2011, 09:48:55 PM »
My first truck, a 1980 Kenworth 86" Aerodyne cabover had no power steering since it had only a 151" wheelbase, and the factory was reluctant to put power steering on such a short truck for stability reasons.  Hence, you learned to keep the front tire pressure up and grease the king pins often.  It really wasn't that bad-I drove it for 8 years and 680,000 miles before getting my next truck.  Just had to roll a bit and could turn the wheel-no such thing as turning the wheel when standing still.  But-I'll take power steering anyday!  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2011, 05:21:16 AM »
John,

Not disputing your assertion that Equal gave you a problem, but it's not something I hear often. Would you mind sharing what the failure mode was? What happened?  What did you see when the tire was dismounted?

Thanks

Richard,

This is how we found that out. We had been running regular old weights, for balancing. It was working out well. We had to get a flat fixed a some tire shop somewhere, while we were on the road. They didn't have the balancing machine, so they put equal in, which was fine by us. We started to notice cupping on the tires. We broke them down, and got rid of the equal. Replaced the tires, and weight balanced them.

Voila, no more issues at all. No more cupping, nothing. That was on the steer. It started to do the same on the tag, but we got smart then.

Thanks,

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal