Author Topic: Engine Finally Arrived!!!! NOT A Good thing  (Read 7900 times)

Offline fredcliff

• Cliff Maus
    • Fcm Productions & Entertainment
Engine Finally Arrived!!!! NOT A Good thing
« on: June 16, 2011, 01:42:20 PM »
Well after ordering a new engine for my MCI MC9. I tracked the shipping of the engine from California, Texas and a 4 day stop in NJ sitting on the dock. I received a call from the mechanic who said the engine is here but we have a problem.  IT IS THE WRONG ONE!!!!!!  Now once I cooled off I learned that to get the one I need I'm looking at a 10 Week building period. Time Wasting away

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
Re: Engine Finally Arrived!!!! NOT A Good thing
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 01:54:52 PM »
Thanks for that!  I thought I was having a really bad day.  Now, mine is great compared to yours.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 02:17:26 PM »
Fred, especially given your location (in the Northeast), have you checked with Luke of U.S. Coach? 888-262-2434

Offline Don Fairchild

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 03:08:18 PM »
Who did you order your engine from.

Don

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 03:18:27 PM »
Well I hate to say it, but whoever it was didn't ask him the right questions before building/sending the wrong one!

Now everyone here knows I'm a tightwad with my $ , but I will have to admit that one lesson I learned especially here on the board is that is actually save $ in the long run and spend a little more $ with the known sources here on the bus boards than to have to do it 2 or 3 times to get it right by the discount places!

I'm sorry to hear of this extra time/$ and wish you all the luck getting it resolved sooner!

And again I highly recommend ALL of us at least call those who support our HOBBY!

Don Fairchild has an excellent reputation and so does Luke @ USA Bus

OK I'm off my soapbox now!
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline buddydawg

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 03:25:02 PM »
Good advice BK!

....do they even have soapboxes in Tennessee?....

Just wondering!  ::)
1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA

Offline longjohn

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 04:02:10 PM »
Good advice BK!

....do they even have soapboxes in Tennessee?....

Just wondering!  ::)

Nah! But they have got  some Hickory stumps ;) :P

Sorry BK Just could not help myself. Hey might down your way end of the month. unfortunately no not in a bus. You know old chicken haulers dont retire, they haul produce! And produce is running!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
John O
Eastern Shore of Maryland.

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 04:08:46 PM »
Chicken hauler or busnut yer always welcome here!
;D  BK  ;D
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 05:01:30 PM »
What was wrong with it, and are you sending it back and getting a different one, or is your mechanic fixing it?

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline fredcliff

• Cliff Maus
    • Fcm Productions & Entertainment
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 05:07:51 PM »
I bought from National Power Supply. I don't feel I should pay to have rebuilt to work. As far as the implication that I didn't ask the right question you could be more wrong. I made it very clear it was a MCI M9  and the ever saw pictures of it. They are current looking into how the wrong one got sent.  what ever happens the cost should come out of my pocket

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 05:15:42 PM »
Before you guys start bashing National probably built the engine with the group numbers ,the model number and serial number and it could have been another engine that was modified to fit the bus happens all the time I think Pat had the same problem a couple of years back for his Prevost rebuilders don't go by the bus model but 10 weeks for another build I would not put up with that

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 05:32:01 PM »
I bought from National Power Supply. I don't feel I should pay to have rebuilt to work. As far as the implication that I didn't ask the right question you could be more wrong. I made it very clear it was a MCI M9  and the ever saw pictures of it. They are current looking into how the wrong one got sent.  what ever happens the cost should come out of my pocket

What BK was saying is that they probably should have asked more questions.

I also agree with Clifford that they may have actually sent an engine that matched the original configuration for that bus and that perhaps somewhere along the way a repower was done that changed things.

MC-9's can have 6V92's, 8V92's, 8V71's and there are likely other power plants that have been customized into them over the years.  Beyond the engine size there are other variables that affect the configuration.

Offline Lonnie time to go

• Lonnie
  • Saginaw, Michgan
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 06:15:43 PM »
TO me this is 100% company fault.
This is there area of expertise and should have it perfect.
National should have a check list of all questions to ask to make sure its correct.
The high cost of buying and shipping of a engine a company should accept all cost of the mistake.
As said a company with many years of doing this should have a fail save way of getting it right.

jmho

Lonnie
1976 4905

Offline Geoff

• Geoff & Sherry's RTS Conversion Pics
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 06:31:53 PM »
Well after ordering a new engine for my MCI MC9. I tracked the shipping of the engine from California, Texas and a 4 day stop in NJ sitting on the dock. I received a call from the mechanic who said the engine is here but we have a problem.  IT IS THE WRONG ONE!!!!!!  Now once I cooled off I learned that to get the one I need I'm looking at a 10 Week building period. Time Wasting away

"It's the wrong one" isn't much of a description as to what is diffferent.  If it is RH engine and the same model all the parts you need to make it work are on your old engine.  But then, the local mechanic probably doesn't know enough to make it work and bill the supplier.
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 07:13:52 AM »

Fred,
I meant that the seller didn't ask the right questions, not you!
Also like Clifford and others said it may not be actually the wrong engine, just not the EXACT same as what came out of it.
More info would be helpful and pics too! (it could be as simple as National Power Supply paying your mechanic a couple hundred bucks to "relocate some things")
I was not implying that this was in anyway your fault.
And with a little more info we can probably as a group come up with some useful suggestions to get you up and on the road much quicker than 10 weeks!
(If I remember correctly Don Fairchild is headed to the east coast right now for a trade show. A visit to him at the show with descriptions & pictures might just get you some answers and some fuel/labor $ could even get you National a very experienced 2 stroke man that could straighten it out in short order if possible!)
;D  BK  ;D
www.kylakesidetravel.net

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal