Author Topic: Shell Rotella T 40W Motor Oil  (Read 19680 times)

Ncbob

Shell Rotella T 40W Motor Oil
« on: June 16, 2011, 03:41:10 PM »
I checked the archives and the gates to the graveyard and both told me that I should start a new thread on this topic. The last opinion was offered in October of 2010 and I think I was still alive then...but we'll see.

I contacted a friend who is the Manager of a Shell Pipeline station in IL inquiring as to whether he could find me some 40W Totella T. Guess you can't go any closer to the horses mouth than that.....

And was told that 40W Rotella T is no longer offered in the US, only Canada. Now that's not to say that there might not be a Shell Distributor here in the US who might have a few cases stuck in the back of his warehouse somewhere...but I'm not really that inclined to go off on a search like that at my age...hell...I don't even buy green bananas!

He has sent me the appropriate MSDS's (Material Service Data Sheets) for both the 40W and the 10W-40 oils. I know that Detroit Diesel has been death on multi-grade oils for our 2 cycles since Hector was a pup. So we'll have to see.

Now I expect to get more than enough well meant information from those of you who use the Delo 200 (?) oil...but if my memory serves me correctly that is the old Texaco URSA oil (in 40W) and was approved for our engines many years ago. I have no problem with that since I've used the Tx URSA in a few through the years. It's just that after using the same brand of condom for many years I'm a bit reluctant (my personal apologies to the powers that be) to change if the product has, for me, been as advertised.

So there is the topic, reopened again for your input, resurrected once again in the hope that you more learned ones can add some knowledge to the void.

It's great to be back in NC!

NCbob

Offline Iceni John

Re: Shell Rotella T 40W Motor Oil
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 04:04:04 PM »
These days it's getting harder to find your preferred brand of CF-2 oil.   Sometimes you have to use whatever you can get.   As long as it's straight 40W, CF-2 rated (even though that rating is now obsolete), and with no more than 1% ash, you should be OK.   Last year I had ABC Bus put in 76 T5X when they changed my oil  -  it's not my first choice, because its ash is at exactly 1%, but I had no real choice.   Otherwise I could buy Delo 100 elsewhere, but at well over $80 per 5-gallon pail  -  ouch!   For the little I'm driving my bus these days, I hope that 1% ash won't hasten my engine's demise.

John
1990 Crown 2R-40N-552 (the Super II):  6V92TAC / DDEC II / Jake,  HT740.     Hecho en Chino.
2kW of tiltable solar.
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 05:06:44 PM »
i think, quite soon, we are going to be using the commonly available 15W-40 in whatever brand and changing a little bit sooner than otherwise.   I strongly believe the viscosity breakdown issue is fixed as long as you don't run the oil for 15K or 20K miles, the ash content issue is fixed, the oil will work fine.  I'll change it a little sooner, and the biggest issue will be a tad lower oil pressure in worn engines.  Cold starting will, on the other hand, be a lot less of an issue with the 15 cold weight rating.  Welcome  to the future...

Brian (I hate change)
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 05:17:51 PM »
Exxon took their XD 40 w off the market also but the Mobil Delvac 1200-40w is still available

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Just Dallas

• Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget
    • BCS
I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.

Offline larryh

• 4905A-893 P8M
  • ready to run with the big dogs
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 05:47:54 PM »
two years ago I bought 10 gals of Napa s new renamed cf2 oil 40wt cf2 rating oil met all requirements I haven't been able to use bus last two years until last 2.5 months bought it to Avondale AZ for my cancer treatment have 7 more treatment to go 1 treatment a day for 7 days then taking bus backl to Quartzsite then driving pu to BC for next 3 months stay may be last trip for me then start on the long sleep.

So I wish all my bus nuts the best and remember live each day as it might be your last as there is no guarantee about tomorrow.
Savvy ponderable:
A cowboy's only afraid of two things:
havin' ta walk,
and the love of a good woman.
"This posting was generated using an environmentally friendly, self contained flatulence generator, therefore no fossils or neutrons were harmed in the creation of this posting.

Quartzsite,

Offline Hi yo silver

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 06:08:08 PM »
Larry,
I'm in total agreement! I sent you a personal note.
Dennis
Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9 Gone, not forgotten

Offline gus

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 06:33:51 PM »
John

$80 for five gallons is actually not a bad price now. It is quickly approaching double what it was a couple of years ago.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline Geoff

• Geoff & Sherry's RTS Conversion Pics
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 06:39:29 PM »
I run 15w-40 all the time in the 2-srokes.  Bus nuts are the only people in the world that are worried about not running straight CF-2 40 weight.  And they probably don't put enough miles on their engines to worry about it.
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

Offline mugsytrpt

• 1981 MCI MC9
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 06:56:38 PM »
My 2 cents worth....When I purchased my bus  a year and a half ago the PO was running 15W40 in the 6v.  I ran it on the trip home (1200 miles) and for about two months.  My bus smoked more on startup and had a little lower oil pressure.  Since I switched to delo 40w it is smoking much less, oil pressure is a little higher and I am having to add less oil between changes.  I just went to Miami 526 miles one way.  I drove down parked in a level spot and it sat there for a week.  When  I checked the oil it was full.  I had dripped a little but not enough to drop below full.  On startup it barely smoked.  Drove it home and checked the oil the next day after sitting for about 12 hours.  Still full.  Also, when I started it up to move in the yard....NO smoke.  That was a first.  Seems to me the more I drive it .... the better it runs.  WISH I could afford to drive it everyday a few hundred miles. 

Anyway....15w40 does work....but I live where it is hot and the 40w seems to be much better for my engine.  Will buy it as long as I can.  BTW Oreilly's will order it for you without any problem

Take care.  Sorry for the long post.

James
1981 TMC MCI9 Converted
Purchased April 2010
Located in South Georgia
New genset April 2013

Offline Cary and Don

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 07:24:40 PM »
We just got a price of $122.00 per five gallon from Napa.  We are going to look for somebody else to buy from.  That is insane.

Don and Cary
1973 05 Eagle
GMC4107
Neoplan AN340
1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 07:46:58 PM »
I can buy a 55 gal drum of Delo 100 for 395.00 plus drum deposit if I don't have a clean drum at Napa's price at would be over 1200 bucks   WOW  Valvoline Fleet Plus is easy to find it is 0.8 ash content and good oil

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline TomC

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 09:54:53 PM »
Luckily I have the Long Beach harbor near by-that runs many 2 strokers still.  I buy sae40 Delo 100 straight from the oil distributor.  Always carry 12 gallons on the bus for at least one oil change.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 05:53:28 AM »
Bob,
   I purchased Rotella T 40w from Maason Oil in Arcadia back in March to do the oil change before we left on our trip.  The labelwas different but it was still Rotella T 40W. I think I paid about 12/gallon. They did not mention anything about it being no longer availalble?  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline zimtok

• Eddie Smith, the reason for having the bus
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 07:57:27 AM »
I still get my Rotella 40wt from NAPA at about $16 a gallon. (last purchase about 3 weeks ago)
It is usually in stock, but the store I go to is the main distribution for Memphis area. Open 7 days a week. The local stores do not stock it, but can get it next day from the distribution store that I go to.

1960 PD4104-4971 - Memphis TN

Buy the new Eddie L Smith CD "STAYIN LONG" at:
http://www.eddielsmith.com
Everyone is welcome to any of our gigs listed on the website.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal