Author Topic: Best 6V92 Block Heater?  (Read 11864 times)

Offline NJT5047

Best 6V92 Block Heater?
« on: September 28, 2006, 07:36:24 PM »
Stumped again!  Need a block heater for my 6V92T.  May decide to use the bus in cold weather this year and don't have a block heater.   No webasto..no nothing.   I'm poor.   :( 
The magnetic stick on mats appeal to me because they are simple to install....but?  They are also expensive.  I found a 3/4' pipe 350 watt Kats for like $4.99 on the big Ebay.  I'm not sure about the 350 watts...may not be enough heat?   
Heard somewhere that the waterbed style heaters will cause cracks in the pan too.
Any idea what size heater will fit into the cover on the curb side plate with the pipe plug?  Looks like someone removed mine...wiring was tied up into that area...but the block heater is not in the plate.    I'm assuming that the unit mounts in the 3" X 4" plate immediately behind the harmonic balancer? 
Good place to buy?  Any ideas on how many watts?  Got a local company that sell Kats heaters for all sizes.  100 watt up to 1000 watt.   What's everyone with a block heater using?    Anything to avoid? 
Any ideas welcome!
Thanks, JR
He11...now I'm thinking that I ought put one on genset too??  A Kubota doesn't seem to have a lot of places for a block heater.
Genset has glow plugs, but it still would be better cranked warm.  MORE WORK!  Always lay a hairdryer under the kubota for a block heater.. ::)

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline Paso One

Re: Best 6V92 Block Heater?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 07:58:09 PM »
up here in Canada where it has been known to get cold at night :) I would recomend a 1500 watt tank type heater. It simply takes water from a low part of the engine and dumps it into the top. I have used them for years on all pieces of equipment. They are easy to install and they work like a dream. On my 6V71 i take the water from the front plug in the lower head and dump it into the rear of the top head. If you plug it in all night you can touch the block anywhere and it is warm.
68 5303 Fishbowl 40'x102" 6V92 V730 PS, Air shift  4:10 rear axle. ( all added )
1973 MC-5B 8V71 4 speed manual
1970 MC-5A  8V71 4 speed manual
1988 MCI 102 A3 8V92T  4 speed manual (mechanical)
1996 MCI 102 D3 C10  Cat engine 7 speed manual  (destined to be a tiny home )

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 08:19:57 PM »
Thanks Paso One,
What brand are you using?  1500 watts oughta warm up something for sure!
JR
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline ArtGill

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 02:52:30 AM »
I went to my local NAPA and purchased a 3/4 inch screw in heater for the 6V92. They had several options listed in their parts book for the 6V92TA.  I beleive the one I purchased was 1000 watts. If you are interested and NAPA can't locate the part number, I'll got to my local store and get the part number.  My memory has that it coat in the $60.00 range.  On my Egale NJT Model 20 I just took out a plug on the upper right hand side of the engine, looking forward and screwed the heater in.  I didn't even drain the coolant but just did it quick and loss very little coolant.  I still have the air start and the heater makes a lot of difference below 40 degrees F.  But, I haven't had the oppounity to see how it worked in really cold weather below freezing on down.

Art
Art & Cheryll Gill
Morehead City, NC
1989 Eagle Model 20 NJT, 6v92ta

Offline RTS/Daytona

• Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10
    • BUS CONVERSION PARTS FOR SALE / PROJECTS
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 05:58:40 AM »
Hi All

Here's a post I put on the Yahoo RTSBUSNUTS B/B

Hi All

My 6V92 1500 watt / 120 volt block heater arrived today from Luke at
U.S. Coach. Luke knew immediately which one I needed (he's been
helping us bus converters a long time now and knows this kind of
stuff cool) - The heater mounts under the exhaust manifold near the
fan side of the 6V92 - looks real simple to install.

I didn't want the Freeze plug type - I've always hated trying to turn
those puppies out of the block. This is soooo much simpler

The Unit is a ZEROSTART #860-1704 and was about $75 shipped

Just a note here guys - If you need one - order it thru Luke - we
need to support the guys who support us - He's one of the last of
the "good Guys" - and the price is right. Napa gets $95 for this
type heater BK6053074 -

U.S. Coach and Equipment Sales, Inc.
127-Berlin-Cross Keys Rd.
Berlin, NJ 08009
856 767-3323
856 767-4848
856 768-7832 - Fax

Nope I'm not on commision - just want to keep the good guys in
bussiness. Thanks Luke

If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.

Offline Buffalo SpaceShip

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 07:25:03 AM »
Amen to getting parts from Luke.

If you need a block heater for ANY application, here's Zerostart's full product line of block heaters. That way you'll have a model #... http://www.phillipsandtemro.com/Files/US_ZEROSTART_CATALOG_05_website_no_covers.pdf

Heavy Duty stuff is in the middle. Detroit Diesel applications start around page 36.

HTH,
Brian
Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 07:43:43 AM »
JR,

I've always used the screw in type from NAPA and had great results! Luke sounds like a good option also! Heck just come on over to the "TN FALL BUS BASH @ Knuckle's" and we'll do an installation siminar and NCBob can sit in a lawn chair with plenty of Cronies and offer advice! LOL! BK ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 02:44:02 PM »
Hello NJT

Both types of block heater are good.

For the genset, you don't need a heater if it has glowplugs.

You do need a good battery, but that should be a default for any cold weather operation!

You might want to test the glowplugs to be sure they are functioning. Manufacturer will have a method to do this in the maintenance manual. Usually a resistance measurement and confirmation of the power source.

Be sure you are following the start procedures in the book.

There are many crazy ideas out there about how and what glowplugs do. Just do what Kubota told you to, and don't worry about how or why.

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 06:00:27 PM »
Thanks for all the info!  Found a solution to the DD engine block heater issue.  Located a new, unused OEM DD (at least it's what the DD dealer sells) 1500 watt immersion block heater.   Screws into a plate on the side of the block.  Won't cost me anything.  Doing some "bartering"...Very cool.
My genset has glow plugs.  Also a glow plug indicator on the OEM control panel, but not inside the coach.  No matter.  It seems to start with about 15 seconds of glow plugs at any temp  we have around here.
The way the OEM glow plug switch is wired, the glow plugs are to be used prior to turning the engine over.  The inside controls will allow glow plug use while starting the engine, but i don't do this.   Had a Ford 7.3 for years and never had any glow plug problems (had an 86 too with no glow plug problems). Always thought it was because I'd let the glow plug light go out before starting the engine.  I've known people with  similar engines and they seemed to have glow plug failures.   
If I have battery problems with the genset, there's two 8Ds just a few feet away.  If it'll start, they'll start it.,,,or burn up the tiny little high-priced starter! 
Now to figure out how to get the block heater installed without loosing a ton of water??  Definitely not going to drain the coolant to install. 
I was about to call Luke or Mike.  Just didn't really know what the options were.  He could have advised I'm sure.  Luke supplies all of my DD and MCI hard parts.
BTW, how cold does it get in Arcadia during the end of December?
Best, JR 
As an aside, has anyone ever seen one of the glow plug equipped 2 stroke DDs?   They made them for fire apparatus for a short time...maybe some other applications.   Don't believe they were used on OTR trucks. 
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 06:16:10 PM »
Hello

Bussin rallies have seen 80 degrees, and have seen 40 degress, all depends on the big wind and who didn't bring their heavy coat....

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2006, 06:54:16 PM »
My 150 lb a$$ never leaves home without major clothing.  In 40* weather, I look like the "abdominal" snowman...big in th middle!
I'll take the 80*.   I can do 40*....I think.
Cheers, JR
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand

Offline TomC

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2006, 08:35:55 AM »
When driving big truck, I had a 1500 watt block heater on my Cat 3406B (most all engines have a plug somewhere you can screw in the block heater).  I also had a small circulation pump that moved the coolant through the two Arctic Foxes (pipe loop that is mounted in the fuel tank to keep the fuel warm) with one in the primary fuel tank and in the water tank that was also a 75 gal fuel tank on the outside of the truck.  I always had the block heater on when the generator was on since the gen was a gasoline Onan commercial 6.5 and always wanted some kind of load on the gen.  The gen lasted 12,000hrs because of this.  Personally like the electric block heater over the Webasto.  I never had a problem with the electric block heater.  I don't think the Webasto owners can say that. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2006, 08:46:49 AM »
Yea Tom, you may be correct, but the Webasto does a lot more than warm the block. I used my Webasto hundreds and hundreds of hours with little or no problem and It kept the coach warm as well as the engine.

FWIW I really do not think there is any comparison between the two as they are designed for totally different functions and are significantly different in price.
Richard

When driving big truck, I had a 1500 watt block heater on my Cat 3406B (most all engines have a plug somewhere you can screw in the block heater).  I also had a small circulation pump that moved the coolant through the two Arctic Foxes (pipe loop that is mounted in the fuel tank to keep the fuel warm) with one in the primary fuel tank and in the water tank that was also a 75 gal fuel tank on the outside of the truck.  I always had the block heater on when the generator was on since the gen was a gasoline Onan commercial 6.5 and always wanted some kind of load on the gen.  The gen lasted 12,000hrs because of this.  Personally like the electric block heater over the Webasto.  I never had a problem with the electric block heater.  I don't think the Webasto owners can say that. Good Luck, TomC
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal