Author Topic: Drawer slide catches?  (Read 2736 times)

Offline Tom Y

• 80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress
Drawer slide catches?
« on: June 26, 2011, 04:47:56 AM »
I put a bunch of full extension drawer slides in my bus, used some common type catches on them. But I still get some that come open while driving, it does not help my wife fills them so full and heavy. I am looking for ideas for a positive type catch that must be released???? I do not have handles on them now, just routed a relief to grab So stronger magnetic type catches means handles too. Which I don't want to do. Thanks Tom Y 
Tom Yaegle

Offline luvrbus

Re: Drawer slide catches?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 05:19:00 AM »
Try the marine world suppliers Tom they have good latches on boats

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 05:27:12 AM »
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=1376&filter=latch

This is flush when latched, so it is unobtrusive. May not fit ideal for your handle free style, but may be an acceptable solution to keeping things closed.
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 06:01:59 AM »
Baby latches, the Depot, 5.00 for 3 on them. You open drawer or door and push them in a little and opens right up.

Dave ::) ;D 8)
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 06:11:34 AM »
Small wood wedge on bottom of drawer. placed so you just have to slightly lift up to clear frame of cabinet to open; has worked on my cabinets for last three coaches. When closeing-push in and wedge slides over lip. Don't get to wild with wedge a 1/8 edge will hold a drawer tight.  Try it if you don't like it take it off.   1/2 wide -   by height needed -  by gentle slope.   glue on
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline Ericbsc

• 73 05
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 06:11:55 AM »
Since you already have the slides this may be a little late. I use the blum motion undermount slide with self closing shocks. You slide it in til it catches and the shock pulls it in and keeps it there. I used them on every drawer in the bus pantry included. never had one come open.

http://www.blum.com/us/en/index.php

Offline MEverard

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 07:56:46 AM »
One thing you can try first before you invest any money. Look at the back of the drawer slide. They usually have a piece of rubber that the slide grabs on to hold it shut. If yours looks like this, try crimping the back of the slide that is attached to the drawer. This will make the the fit around the rubber more firm. It doesn't take much so don't crimp too much. The one downside is that it takes a little more force to open the drawer. I have not had a drawer open yet. I am a cabinet maker and I am not a big fan of catches. I hope this helps. If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Good Luck,

Mike
Mike Everard
1960 GMC PD4104-4520
Antioch, CA

Offline Melbo

• MC8 under construction
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 08:03:22 AM »
Tom

On my drawers I put a small bolt that is just behind the front roller so you have to PULL the drawer to open it. On the drawers that opened when driving I added a washer under the head of the bolt. On the drawers that still opened I added a bolt on the track on the other side. I think the bolts are #4 size.

I have a collection of the marine type latches referenced and would send them to you if you have an interest in them. I believe I have six of them and would like them to go away.

PM me if you want them.

Melbo
If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 08:09:54 AM »
Amazing the solutions! some really simple!!! I thought wood wedges were simple but if I had knowledge of above would have just needed adjustment.  Thanks for info.   Bob.  PS  by accident my new cabinets have the mech like Eric describes it came with it--glad it did now!
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline Tom Y

• 80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 09:44:50 AM »
Thanks Guys.
I will look into the marine hardware.
Not sure about the push button catch, and at 20+ drawers at 25.00 it is pricey.
Baby latches may work will look into them also.
Small wooden wedges? Have you used these on a full extension ball bearing slide? Does not seem like enough play up and down but will take a look.
Not ready to go to a different slide system.
Yes I did close up the tabs on the rear of the drawers, Helped on most but the heaviest ones still can come open. Not always but I do not want them to come open at all while driving.
These are ball bearing slides no rollers.

Thanks Again Guys, Open to any other ideas.  Tom Y
Tom Yaegle

Offline belfert

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 10:58:13 AM »
One issue I see with baby latches is they are designed to allow the drawer to open an inch or two so an adult can operate the latch.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline Iceni John

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 01:42:22 PM »
Do you have enough space behind the drawers for a magnet?   Either put the magnet on the wall and a small piece of steel on the drawer, or VV.   Old speakers and computer hard drives have strong magnets in them that would work well.

John
1990 Crown 2R-40N-552 (the Super II):  6V92TAC / DDEC II / Jake,  HT740.     Hecho en Chino.
2kW of tiltable solar.
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.

Offline Nusa

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 01:44:11 PM »

Offline Ace

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 04:10:02 AM »
Melbo I'd be interested in those latches and be glad yo take them off your hands if they are still available.

One more ready solution to keep the drawers closed is, use one small bunjy cord screwed on the very back if the drawer and the other end off the cabinet wall. Keeps tension on the drawer all the time.
Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal