Author Topic: problem solved.. deleate!  (Read 2599 times)

Offline demodriver

problem solved.. deleate!
« on: June 28, 2011, 12:44:13 PM »
OK so I am trying to use the electrical system out of a s&s. I wired it up (or I thought) like it was in the rv. When I plugged it in and turned the breakers on it hummed real loud for a few and once the ac tried to kick on it flipped the breakers.  

Can anyone tell me where to start to even look? I have no clue and as I stated Im not a electrician. I can fix anythign mechanical but electricity isnt my thing.

thanks
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 03:50:40 PM by demodriver »

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
Re: Well Im not a electrician..
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 12:56:16 PM »
I am reasonably knowledgeable in electrical work but you have way too many unknowns for any remote troubleshooting.

We need to know a lot more about what you did and how it was done before venturing a guess.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline demodriver

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 01:08:01 PM »
I gutted a older rv. I took all of the electrical out. I labelled it all and put it all back the way that it came out. On the 12 volt wiring I just taped off the wires for the time being. (no theres none touching eachother) I wired up all of the plug ins as they came out. Or so I think.  The electrical box has wiring coming out of it to plug into a generator (taped off), wiring for a 220 plug in (its where I am getting my power), and a 12 volt power supply from the rv (taped up). I can get pics of anything that will help.

I dont really know what other info is needed.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 01:29:00 PM »
I don't think you find it was wired for 220v

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline demodriver

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 01:38:54 PM »
It had a 220 plug in coming directly out of the converter.

The 110 plug ins are working but are only putting out very little power. It just barelly makes my shop light come on. And now the AC wont come on.  I did check the ac by hooking it directly to my shop and it worked fine.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 01:42:13 PM »
Post a photo of the plug bet it is a 30 amp 110v I never saw a converter in a RV that was 220v

good luck

Offline demodriver

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 01:51:57 PM »
That may be the case. I dont know. It has a larger 3 prong with the flat prongs being straight up and down and the upper being a round plug.

I wonder what all I have fried lol.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 02:07:53 PM »
You need to unplug till you get it right the 110 is searching for the common it will destroy about everything you have

Offline demodriver

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 02:24:08 PM »
theres nothing plugged into at the moment and the only two things that have been still work. The only thing that I could of fried so far is the converter.

I did a quick google search and my converter set up was available in 110 and 220. I have to do more research on it yet tho.

Like I said, I can fix anything mechanical but not electrical stuff....

Offline mikelutestanski

• Mikes Metal Mistress
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 02:59:22 PM »
Hello;   You are playing with fire and your life if you dont know what you are looking at. Please get help.

Regards and happy bussin  mike
Mike Lutestanski   Dunnellon Florida
  1972 MCI 7
  L10 Cummins  B400R  4.625R

Offline demodriver

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 03:49:19 PM »
Hello;   You are playing with fire and your life if you dont know what you are looking at. Please get help.

Regards and happy bussin  mike

I have enough common sense and knowledge to not get hurt lol. I figured out what I had wrong and all works fine now. I didnt burn anything up either. ;D

Offline Dreamscape

• Dreamscape
  • Global Moderator
  • 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443
    • Dreamscape Eagle Travels
Re: problem solved.. deleate!
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 03:59:25 PM »
Troubleshoot all wires with absolutely No Power on Them!

Before you go any further, get a qualified guy who knows what he is doing.

I'm not trying to scare you..........yes I am.  ;) It's nothing to fool with if you don't know anything about keeping the smoke in.......Please!
Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 04:06:30 PM »
Eric -is pretty sharp he took the 220 comment and figured it out. Prob hit his self on back of head.  I call it a brain fart my self.  Thanks for sharing Eric might save someone from getting fried in future! And glad you had safe outcome and no damage also.  Bob   
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline demodriver

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 04:10:55 PM »
thanks Bob.

I am smart enough to not fry myself but appliances better look out lol.  ;D

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 07:44:30 PM »
Eric don't feel bad I'm electronically challenged too!

Shoot my latest idiot move was burning up the motor on a huge shop fan we have hanging in the shop to stir the hot air.
It's old and tired (and was when it was given to me) but if ya push the blades as you plug it in it usually takes of and runs just fine.

Well a week or so I fired it up and it just didn't really wanna take off and go like it should, and after a min or 2 tripped the breaker.

Well I just chocked it as needing greased on the motor and each end of the shaft too.

So that night I had da fire up "Guido" (our forklift) and raise me up to it and I greased it. So before having him let me down I told him go ahead and plug it in. So he did, and I started spinning the blade like ya would on an old plane and it just wouldn't take off and go, and tripped the breaker again. So as dad reset the breaker and started back toward me while I was spin starting it Dad said "UH son, ya spinning it the wrong way!"
Well it don't go no mo, so I guess I ruined it! I tell ya, "ya just can't good free stuff given to ya anymore! That ol fan shoulda lasted more than 10 yrs even when it has spent entire winters outside in the snow rain an wind!
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)