Author Topic: Miniscule, and Monumental  (Read 8562 times)

Offline Brill-o

Miniscule, and Monumental
« on: September 30, 2006, 04:54:10 PM »

Hello-

I’ve had some PC trouble (finally fixed), so I couldn’t get any pics up-

Many who have read my former posts know I’ve been up to my elbows in some of the worst muck I’ve ever been involved with- in all my years of fooling with vehicles—just plain terrible!

I have made some progress in this area.
Although it’s small potatoes compared to some here- with trans. issues, fuel tank repairs, A/C, injector racks, etc, this is a big step forward for me-

Here’s a look before, if some forgot how she was:

Cont…
Mind the Gap!

Offline Brill-o

Re: Miniscule, and Monumental
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 04:57:25 PM »

Here it is—finished, with no worries (for the most part) of anymore grime, or airborne contamination.

The airlines were done this way—not for looks. They were used as “perches’, and had to be very clean so as not to allow the acidic properties of the feces to continue to corrode them-

Cont…

Mind the Gap!

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 05:00:45 PM »
Brill,

It all in the details...And I predict this will be one cool coach when your done...

Job well done.... ;D

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline Brill-o

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 05:09:03 PM »

Most likely it will need touching up after that stage, and I should of pulled the lower fans, but I was able to air-blow the majority of crud out, scrub it and get paint around the back areas, and can always remove them later as needed.

Cont…
Mind the Gap!

Offline Brill-o

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 05:33:47 PM »

No, it’s not museum quality- or even show quality.
It a modest, but diligent effort to clean the work environment and have it much nicer for the rewiring and other work needed in this area.

On another note, I hope belfert reads this (he’s probably lurking, anyway), as he can see what I’m faced with, and I just scratched the surface! (Literally!)

The difference between he and I is- I find this board a challenge:

By this, I mean I joined when I got Luray, and would be terribly embarrassed if I could not put her in presentable form for all here.

You folks have no idea what an inspiration you all are!

It would make me feel like I was letting you all down if I couldn’t continue my cause-

It may take some time, but I’ll be around…

I would like to think this would inspire belfert in his next endeavor and wish him the very best.

Thank you-

Cheers..
Mind the Gap!

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 05:43:39 PM »
Great job. Looks very nice. I was beginning to worry about you because you had not posted for awhile but guess it was just due to some computer problems. Please keep us updated. We love it.
Richard

I messed up! To make sense of this read my posts from first to last-
(or maybe a moderator can swap them?)

No, it’s not museum quality- or even show quality.
It a modest, but diligent effort to clean the work environment and have it much nicer for the rewiring and other work needed in this area.

On another note, I hope belfert reads this (he’s probably lurking, anyway), as he can see what I’m faced with, and I just scratched the surface! (Literally!)

The difference between he and I is- I find this board a challenge:

By this, I mean I joined when I got Luray, and would be terribly embarrassed if I could not put her in presentable form for all here.

You folks have no idea what an inspiration you all are!

It would make me feel like I was letting you all down if I couldn’t continue my cause-

It may take some time, but I’ll be around…

I would like to think this would inspire belfert in his next endeavor and wish him the very best.

Thank you-

Cheers..

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Dallas

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 05:44:42 PM »
Barry,

Luray is starting to look awesome!

Now if the wiring is color coded and put in color coded looms you'll be in tall cotton!

Next you'l be wanting to change out all that nasty old copper tubing for colored, braided air line!

Then, who knows! maybe you'll want to put chrome valve covers and big tires ..... and ...... and ...... and!

Congratulations on some excellent work!

Dallas

Offline Kristinsgrandpa

• 1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 06:36:30 PM »
Looks great, kinda like someone used a brillo-pad on it. (he  he)

Nice.

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006, 07:17:42 PM »
Radical Improvement!  
Brill-o, pile up some pix and come on down to Timmonsville next weekend and visit a spell! 
Maybe put a face on who your're chatting with!
Just get onto I-95 and head South...easy trip!
Cheers, JR
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2006, 07:51:28 PM »
This is really cool!  I admire someone who can make a huge difference in just a very short time.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2006, 09:16:22 PM »
I was also just wondering today where had Brill-o been. Now we can see that he has been a very busy man! You can do my bus next. ;)
L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

Offline Brill-o

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2006, 06:36:46 AM »

Awww shucks people-

It twern’t nothing…  :)

Looking and what some of you’ve done and got into, this would be a cake-walk for most.

Some may have thought brakes, suspension bits, and maybe other areas were of more importance, than what I did above-

But, I doubt many would want to sit in the driver’s area with all that muck, and who knows what would have been coming out of those vents whilst underway!

I really do appreciate the praise very much, Thank you.

But, I still stand by the fact that without the interest shown here, it would drag on a bit slower.

The camaraderie, tips, and ideas thrown about here are unsurpassed.
With friends like you bunch, how could one fail?

You put the fire under my hind-parts to keep me chugging along.
This is not to impress, but to give proof of my value as a bus-nut.
And I really love this carriage!

I’d be scared to show my face (posts) if I backed off!
Some of you might come looking for me!  :o

Actually, people—I need you!
I have absolutely no one to lend a hand-
There’s one guy that floats over on any given day, but usually doesn’t want to work, or get his hands scruffy-

Today (hopefully) will be a special day:

In a few hours- once it dries up a bit from the rains, I’ll be bleeding the clutch system and trying for a first drive. The guy is supposed to show up—but I’m not counting on it…

Now, I need to pick up a pass. side roof fan, that I discovered missing, and add some new sound deadener/insulation in the roof coves. Then (besides the wiring and checking the driver’s side wiper pump), I could reassemble the front/top sections and finish off the whole drivers area. I even have a “new” driver’s roll-up blind cover for the back of the seat! (Does anyone know if the blind had anything written on it or had logo?)

Dallas:
Why should I replace the copper lines? Problematic?
Bigger tires? Yes Sir! 24:5’s will be the choice-
Chrome wheels? Nah, I’ll stick with powder-coated steels (keeps the look, you know)
Chrome valve “covers”? On a six-cyl?

And where would you put the second cover, huh?
I think you and the “suds” get a bit too friendly at times!   :P  :D
Besides—the ONE on it is aluminum and could be polished up as good as chrome. (But, I would be doing that-)
Thanks for reversing my posts, though-  ;)

There are a few other pics on the site addy’ in the pic below-
(Yes, I know it’s a pain to copy it, but with Dallas’ help, this will be resolved for good in short order-)

Again- truly thanks for the comps’  :)

Cheers..
Mind the Gap!

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2006, 06:40:11 AM »
Brill-O Welcome back I too was worried about your absence. Also I've found a Brill pic you may, or may not have already seen they are of 2 Brills that Greyhound has displayed at their museum in Hibbing, MN! Cool looking buses as 1 appears restored and 1 doesn't  '47 & '48 yr models. I found them on page 6 of the september issue of the "National Bus Trader" magazine. Which by the way is the first time I'd seen this magazine as they sent it to us as a trial issue to try and get us to subscribe (I haven't yet but I plan to!). Good luck and if ya need me to when I'm down at the shop I'll try to scan an post the pic. (I'm on my laptop now and unable to scan)  BK  ;D

By the way Brill-O Ya DA Man! And an amazing inspiratation to myself and probably most others here! By the way are you, Brillette, and the little Ms. Brillette taking Penny to Cat & Dallas's shindig in Timmonsville? How is Penny progressing? I'd hope she's useable by now, so ya'll can have some well deserved fun! BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

JerryH

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2006, 06:40:52 AM »
Wow, looks great to me.  Nice work.  Looking forward to seeing more.

JerryH

Dallas

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2006, 06:45:39 AM »

Dallas:
Why should I replace the copper lines? Problematic?
Bigger tires? Yes Sir! 24:5’s will be the choice-
Chrome wheels? Nah, I’ll stick with powder-coated steels (keeps the look, you know)
Chrome valve “covers”? On a six-cyl?

Well, the flex lines would be prettier and some people say that the copper will work harden and crack, although my copper has been there for 54 years and hasn't cracked yet. I wonder what mean time to failure on the copper is?

Valve covers? I thought maybe we could stick a 8V92TTA in there or maybe an ex military VT903 Cummins with "Battle" power settings.

And where would you put the second cover, huh?
I think you and the “suds” get a bit too friendly at times! :P :D
Besides—the ONE on it is aluminum and could be polished up as good as chrome. (But, I would be doing that-)
Thanks for reversing my posts, though- ;)
No suds for me. Cat is keeping me too busy before the rally to have time for such non essentials, (her words).

There are a few other pics on the site addy’ in the pic below-
(Yes, I know it’s a pain to copy it, but with Dallas’ help, this will be resolved for good in short order-)
I'll work on your opening page tonight or in the morning so that you can incorporate everything you want into the site with security.

Again- truly thanks for the comps’ :)

Cheers..

Offline Paso One

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2006, 07:18:37 AM »
Keep The pictures coming especially the before /after shots . Great to see" anything can be done" when you restore something. Nice Job!
68 5303 Fishbowl 40'x102" 6V92 V730 PS, Air shift  4:10 rear axle. ( all added )
1973 MC-5B 8V71 4 speed manual
1970 MC-5A  8V71 4 speed manual
1988 MCI 102 A3 8V92T  4 speed manual (mechanical)
1996 MCI 102 D3 C10  Cat engine 7 speed manual  (destined to be a tiny home )

Offline TomC

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2006, 09:25:22 AM »
Wonderful job.  I figure if it hasn't failed by this time, don't replace it.  Those copper lines are a classic.  You don't see that kind of assembly processes anymore-takes to much time and money.   Everything now is in the interest at lowering the assembly time to make more money.  Hence, even big trucks are using more and more plastic lines and aluminum radiators with plastic end tanks that are clipped on (seen them even on a Peterbilt).  Save a restore as much as possible- you won't see that kind of quality build anymore.  Good Luck, Tomc
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal