Author Topic: Generator Overheating -- Kubota V1505  (Read 10178 times)

Offline David Anderson

• just outside San Antonio TX
Re: Generator Overheating -- Kubota V1505
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 08:26:24 AM »
Melbo,

Did you put a line on the air bleeder petcock hole to supply the surge tank?  Logic tells me that would be the best place to tie in a surge tank line being the highest place on the engine.  I have a kubota, never had the air lock problem, but my radiator cap is about 3" higher than the petcock drain.

David

Offline Sean

• Geek.
  • '85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"
    • Our Odyssey
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 08:36:05 AM »
I don't know about the V1505, but my V1902 has a purge plug on the top of the engine as well.  It's hard to spot because it looks for all the world like one of the head bolts.  It is tucked in between two head bolts on the corner of the head closest to the flywheel end of the engine, on the intake side.  It is an M16 plug with a rubber gasket and takes a 14mm socket.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Offline Melbo

• MC8 under construction
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 09:17:00 AM »
There is a petcock on top of the thermostat housing. I opened it SEVERAL times when trying to purge the air bubble to no avail. When it would get hot it would let steam out but no water. Like I posted I tried everything I could think of -- cleaned the radiator -- ran water through all the hoses --- ran water through the motor --- checked the water pump (twice in case I was having a DUMB spell the first time) replaced the thermostat removed the thermostat -- all this and then waiting for things to cool down between procedures took many hours. Fortunately I was in the process of wiring up the retarder and other misc stuff so I could keep working while waiting for things to cool down. AFTER checking that everything was as it should be I FINALLY did the procedure with the air compressor and clear plastic hose.

I installed the recovery system on the radiator overflow.  My filler for the radiator is a little difficult to reach so I mounted the tank slightly higher than recommended in the instructions and easily accessible so I can remove the radiator cap fill the recovery tank it and it will gradually fill the radiator.

However back to the reference to the "bleeder" above the thermostat --- I found it to be a very nice touch but totally ineffective for me BUT yes I too have one of those. ;)

HTH

Melbo
If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal