Author Topic: windshield adventure  (Read 8674 times)

Offline NJT5047

Re: windshield adventure
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2006, 06:41:15 PM »
If the bus has been wrecked and repaired, the windshield may not fit correctly due to a poorly repaired mask.. may be correct on one plane, but off fore and aft...or some such combination.  If the roof has been raised, the upper outside corner may be pulled back, or displaced forward slightly.   
When replacing the rubber, or whenever the windshield is removed, check the dimensions of the windshield mask.  As  Marc states, the hole is probably not a good fit.
Tricky part would be setting up a jig to verify the fore and aft planes.  The vertical and lateral planes would be easy to assess. 
IMHO, the windshield has mounting issues.  Bus windshields don't pop out when correctly installed in a proper fitting mask.
Marc's comment about MC9s not being especially airtight....is correct...they aren't.    Unless the fresh air inlets are covered and sealed, the bus cannot build interior pressure, or draw a vacuum.  MC9s have ample areas for "pressure relief" in the drivers compartment too. 
Good luck, JR 
BTW, if you pressurize the coach in order to assess for leaks...be ready to catch your windshield....may pop out while pressurized.

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2006, 01:03:24 AM »
Quick and dirty...

Add some metal tabs on the outside to hold the windshield in, the same as GM used for their big rear windows.

If you want to mess around a little....

Get some friends that can hold the windshield using suction cups without struggling.

Remove windshield and rubber.

Place windshield up to position and assess whether the "hole" lines up to the glass all the way around. Set it on the bottom edge for consistant stability.

At the same time, get a sence of how much free play the rubber is being forced to make up and decide if it is too much.

Then you get to wonder if your hole is too large, or your windshield is too small?

I re-emphasize the need for many strong and steady hands while you check inside and out to see what it looks like.

Windshields should not fall out of buses, moving or otherwise. Something doesn't fit properly.

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline Busted

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2006, 08:52:41 AM »
Sounds like an 05 windshield in an 01. Windshield problems in Eagles are especially common among 05's & 01's.
Has the bus been capped? Has the Breastplate been modified? Was the windshield frame changed out? Also, what type of seals do you have? The old standard or the thick model 10's? The 01 windshield looks so close to the 05 its not even funny, but it has more of a radius in the corner. Also, add the fact thats its a bus, & anythings liable to fall off! I've seen amazing stuff fall off of buses, & some aircraft that I was flying in too!

Offline busguy01

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2006, 02:27:28 PM »
Thanks all. I think I will follow buswarriors ideas to see what is up. The windshields came from jefferson so I think they are correct - after al it did stay put for 5 years and 50,000 miles! Looks like the metal is orginal around the windshields and in good shape. Will check  the size and fit when i reset it. Sure doesn't go in easy!! Rubber is very soft and pliable. I was also thinking about some clips or similar hold down mods.
Thanks all
JimH
Started with nothing - still have most of it left!
1963 Eagle 01 with Detroit 60 series done (Gone-sold!)
MCI EL3 in progress. raised roof & Slides
2009 Revolution 42 Sticks and staple
Summer - Yankton, South Dakota
Winter- Sebastian, Florida

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal