Author Topic: fridge is dead  (Read 5958 times)

Offline skihor

fridge is dead
« on: October 01, 2006, 07:59:27 PM »
We've got a Dometic 2601 that went bad I think. The smell of amonia is over powering. It is 23 years old so I guess it's about time. I can go about 6" taller and about 2" wider. Anyway the real problem is we live full time in our bus so I need to deal with this NOW! We live in Denver and other than Camping World I don't know where to find a good deal??? Any Idea's guys???

Don & Sheila

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
Re: fridge is dead
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 08:03:22 PM »
If you're going back with the same type, rather than 120 volt unit, I suspect you won't find much better than camping world for prices. If you don't have the membership, buy it and save the 10%. You can probably even get them to install the new one fairly cheaply, and remove the dispose of the old one, which could be a problem for you elsewhere.

You might call around to some of the larger RV sales places. Sometimes they change out some units prior to sale due to color, ding, etc. Maybe you can find something there, or possibly get some suggestions where else to call.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Moof

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 08:04:45 PM »
Keep your rig well venitlated.  That ammonia is bad stuff.

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 08:04:58 PM »
Hi Don,

Yup, It's done for!   Bit the big one,   Took a sh*t,   ect.

go to:    www.dometicusa.com  and you can find the refrig. that will fit your needs. Then you can use the tool bar on the site to find a dealer

in your area.

Good luck

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

JerryH

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 08:24:30 PM »
Do you have the space for a conventional (120 vac) home-type unit??
Based on my personal experience with RV units (cost and use), I'd personally design with/for a conventional unit.

Jut my $0.02.
Jerry H.

Dallas

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 05:00:46 AM »
Don and Sheila,

If you opt for a house or apartment sized fridge, don't, and I repeat, DON'T buy one of those little 4.6 or 4.3 cu ft refrigerators from Sams or Walmart.
Even though they are operated on 120V and use R12 as the refrigerant, they are really innefficient. We had one and found that it would freeze stuff in the freezer compartment on top and let it mold on the bottom. We lost a lot of meat with it.

We also found the it's insulation was pretty poor and even after we wrapped it with styrofoam, it wasn't very good.
Another problem was that if it kicked in at the same time the A/C did, the A/C would cycle out without starting.

We eventually bought a 12 cuft. used GE apartment size fridge that does a great job, even on the inverter.
It isn't much bigger than an 8 cuft Norcold or dometic at 28" X 28" X 60" and also cycles a lot less than the little one and holds a whole bunch more.

I hope this helps.

Dallas

Offline bubbaqgal

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 05:26:30 AM »
I wanted to add to what Dallas said about our fridge.  We had the smaller fridges and they used more power than our large fridge.  Plus, with the apartment sized one, we have lots more freezer space, with HOMEADE ice.  With our little fridge, we had to buy ice and use our cooler to keep it in.  For full-timing, I would go with the apartment size any day because of the difference in power and storage space.  It is worth loosing a little bit of interior bus space.  Cat
Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.

Offline TomCat

• It's 4:20 somewhere...
    • Jay's Conversion Pics
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 07:03:46 AM »
If you have the space, a home unit is the way to go. I installed a 18cf Frigidaire with a SS door in my Thomas, and am VERY happy with it's power usage, looks and performance.

Jay
87 SaftLiner
On The High Plains of Colorado

Offline Runcutter

• Runcutter.com
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 07:26:10 AM »
I'm just learning about MH appliances, but if a 110 volt unit might work, the Sears Roebuck appliance outlet stores may help.  Sears website shows one in Denver.

Sears Appliance  Outlet Store
DENVER - OTLT
701 OSAGE ST
DENVER,  CO  80204
(303)892-8649

We bought the refrigerator and range/over for the house from our local Sears appliance outlet store, and were quite satisfied.  Fridge had a minor scratch, when their contractor delivered the range, they just happened to have the right touch-up paint, so we can't even find the cosmetic damage that had prompted the original price cut.

Arthur Gaudet   Carrollton, TX
Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
Former owner of a 1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 09:13:07 AM »
Just to add a bit to the case for a regular fridge; for the price of new Dometic, you can almost buy the fridge, inverter and battery bank for a conventional unit and have nearly twice the capacity.

Only if you do extensive boondocking would I be looking at an RV unit.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline Azbutch

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 04:24:25 PM »
Don;

As previously advised, amonia leak is kiss of death for your fridge !  Don't let anyone talk you into rebuilding it-success rate of doing so on older fridges is minimal ! See www.warehouseappliance.com for warehouse full of new propane fridges all sizes.

Offline skihor

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2006, 08:47:19 PM »
First off I would like to thank each and every one of you guys on this board for a wealth of info. I don't post much except when I have something to add from first hand experience. Last night someone posted a Dometic on Craigs list. I Don't know the exact model but it is the large one, about 4" taller than my old 2601 model.
This  is an '04 unit that he has had for 2 years sitting in his garage. He got to put in a houseboat (but sold it) and never installed it. He was firm on the price so it cost me $600, , but a fair price none the less.
Thanks for all of your input guys.
Don & Sheila

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2006, 05:32:40 AM »
Sounds like you got a good deal on it, and it should go in with minimal modifications, since that's what you're taking out. Good luck with the install. Let us know how it goes.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2006, 05:41:55 AM »
Don,

That is a good buy. ;D

I think I priced the replacement parts for a friends at $400.00 to change out the rear coils etc...

Got to love a deal!

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal