Author Topic: Adventure RV.net ?  (Read 10306 times)

Offline PP

• Will & Wife
    • Bookworm
Adventure RV.net ?
« on: July 13, 2011, 11:40:58 AM »
Hi, I'm considering a large purchase from this company and I know nothing about them except that they're clear across the country. In fact, I think they're located in some foreign country by the name of Tentcity (sp)(lol). Has anyone dealt with them and are they a reputable firm?
Thanks for any and all input. I apologize if I hurt anyone's feelings with regard to TN. I'm sure it has its good points too.
Will

Offline belfert

Re: Adventure RV.net ?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 12:17:33 PM »
I'm pretty sure I have made some small purchases (less than $200) from them online before.  No issues that I recall.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 01:37:18 PM »
Will ; We have some bus nuts that live in that area. Maybe they will visit later and offer first hand knowledge.Gate- Way to Great Smokey Mountains.
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Online Iceni John

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 01:45:24 PM »
A few months ago I bought my two SHURflo Classic pumps from them, along with eight quick-connect barb fittings.   Even with S&H they were the cheapest, and I got everything as promised.   It's seems silly that I had to buy from TN to get the lowest overall price, considering the pumps are made only a few miles from here!   One way they have low prices is by selling OEM items  -  I received the 144 models of the 2088-422 pump, just packed in bubble-wrap in a plain box, as opposed to the 444 models that are for aftermarket sales.   Who cares what the box looks like?

I would buy from them again.

John
1990 Crown 2R-40N-552 (the Super II):  6V92TAC / DDEC II / Jake,  HT740.     Hecho en Chino.
2kW of tiltable solar.
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.

Offline MEverard

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 04:52:30 PM »
I have purchased a lot of items from them. I have received everything on time and in good condition. I would not hesitate to reccomend them based on my experience. My largest purchase was not more than a couple of hundred dollars though.

Good Luck

Mike.

Mike Everard
1960 GMC PD4104-4520
Antioch, CA

Offline PP

• Will & Wife
    • Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 06:14:11 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. As soon as I figure out the rest of what I need I'll be giving them an order. Most people don't realize what it's like to shop online and have stuff shipped to them when they're physical address changes all the time. When you know you're going to be somewhere for a little while, you take advantage and buy everything you've been holding off on and it feels a bit like Xmas. ;D
Again, thank you for the responses,
Will

Offline Seville

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 01:12:15 PM »
In the past year I have bought almost all my conversion parts from them including 5 Coleman AC's. They are the cheapest and everything has arrived in good condition.
I think they great.
New York City
1984 MC9 6v92T

Offline technomadia

• Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446
    • Technomadia
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 10:52:56 PM »
When you know you're going to be somewhere for a little while, you take advantage and buy everything you've been holding off on and it feels a bit like Xmas.

We know that feeling well, and spent the day shopping online for our next found of modifications. 

Serendipitously, our shopping brought us to AdventureRV for the MaxxAir fan we want, so appreciated having context for them from this thread.  Their price on it was stellar, but unfortunately they only offer Ground shipping which wouldn't reach us before we move on. Oh well, next time we have access to both a physical address and a place to do roof mods.

- Cherie
Cherie and Chris / Bus tour: www.technomadia.com/zephyr
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)

Offline technomadia

• Technomadia
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 01:12:43 PM »
Just to add to this thread, thought I'd share our experience with AdventureRV this week.

Over the weekend, we ordered our MaxxFan 7000 from them.  They had two listings on their site - the 7000 and the 7000k.  There was no description on their site as to features or differences between the two models. And MaxxAir's site did not list the 7000 as a differing model on there site, so there was no way to know that there were differences, especially as drastically different as we have now found out they are.

The photos for the two listings were different however, so we matched our order to the photos on the manufacturer's website for the product we wanted - a fan with 10-speeds and a 'ceiling fan' mode.   We paid extra for rush shipping to make sure it got here before we moved on.

It arrived yesterday, and were confused as to why the fan we received only had 4-speeds and no ceiling fan mode.  The remote included with the fan is completely different than the listing on AdventureRV's website, and actually matches the other fan.

So, I submitted a claim ticket requesting a RMA for the wrong product being sent.

They gave me an RMA to return the fan and order the correct one, but will however be charging us a 15% restocking fee to return the fan AND we have to cover shipping both ways (it's a 29 lb box, not an insignificant cost). And they will not refund our purchase for up to 21 days after they inspect the return.   They would not budge on this policy at all (I've gone through multiple attempts at explaining the situation).. stating that their pictures are generic, and it is our responsibility to order by model #.  Basically 'you got what you ordered, and it's not our fault we have the wrong picture up and don't offer comprehensive feature descriptions.' 

They are expecting us to pay $100 for their listing mistake.  (Incidentally, will make you a deal on a MaxxFan 7000 :) )

Incidentally, we contacted MaxxAir directly about this... and they are going overboard to correct the situation. They will be contacting AdventureRV to get the listings updated and more clearly define that the 7000 model is an older model with less features, and using the correct image.  AND they are offering to sell us direct the unit we want for about 1/2 what AdventureRV is selling it for. Now that's what I call customer service!!

So.. in conclusion. If you order from AdventureRV - make absolutely positively sure that you know what you are ordering.  And know that even if AdventureRV provides misleading information in their listing, the best they will do is give you back 85% of your purchase price and you cover all shipping both ways.   They stand firm that they only waive these charges if the product arrives defective.   Now we know how they afford to have the cheapest prices.

- Cherie

Offline belfert

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 02:46:24 PM »
Interesting.  I just ordered a 30 amp transfer switch from Adventure RV through Ebay earlier this afternoon.  I hope my experience is better than yours.  The price with shipping on Ebay was about $10 less than their own website.

I looked through their feedback for the negative feedback.  There were 6 negative feedbacks in the past year most complaining about slow shipping from Fedex.  One or two complained about Adventure RV taking a few days to ship and one said they never got their package even through Adventure RV said it arrived 5 days after the order date.  All in all, mostly a bunch of whiners who think everything ordered online should show up the next day.

The picture issue is not uncommon on websites.  I always verify model numbers or contact the seller if I have any questions about what I am getting.  I think Adventure RV at minimum should waive the restocking fee.  They probably have a disclaimer buried on their website stating they are not responsible for incorrect pictures.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline technomadia

• Technomadia
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 03:01:44 PM »
We checked their website thoroughly for disclaimers related to the pictures. This is it:

"We try our best to have accurate descriptions, photos and pricing for our products. However, the products that we sell can be updated, discontinued or modified by the manufacturer without notice as well as typographical errors. If you are unsatisfied with your purchase as a result we will replace your item or refund your purchase price at our discretion . "

Obviously, they chose not to apply their discretion... whereas we strongly feel otherwise.

A no mention anywhere that their graphics are 'generic', as their support representative is claiming. In fact, they have their logo watermarked on the images posted.

Here's a link to the entire support thread:

http://www.adventurerv.net/help/view.php?e=us@technomadia.com&t=912540

I suspect that those who know the exact model number and there is no confusion in the listing, will not experience problems and will benefit from the lower prices.  We just pass on the warning to not order unless you are exceptionally sure.

- Cherie

Offline scanzel

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 06:43:14 PM »
I had some problems with an on line site ordering some items at one time. After repeated attemps to get a resolution I stated to the seller that I would contact there state consumer protection agency ( they had an address) and I would give them severe negative comments on the internet. Which can hurt there business. This person jumped through hoops after the email to him. Finally corrected all problems. Not something I like to do but sometimes you have to stand up to them and the Internet can be a wonderful way to get them to change their ways.
Steve Canzellarini
Myrtle Beach, SC
1989 Prevost XL

Offline technomadia

• Technomadia
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 06:56:46 PM »
We already tried that approach.  In our last e-mail with them, we told them that however they choose to handle the situation would be reflected on our very visible blog (as we're documenting our conversion upgrades).  We even told them we have over 15,000 page views a month - a lot of them RVers. 

They still opted to stand firm.

*shrug*

At this point, it's not about the money.  But the attitude.  And we will fully use our visibility to make sure that attitude is known.

The internet is powerful indeed.. and we have elevated this to the ClueTrain (http://www.cluetrain.com).  :)

- Cherie

Offline PP

• Will & Wife
    • Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 07:43:07 PM »
Well, we placed our order with them last week and it shipped Monday via FedEx. I'm positive I ordered the right items because their numbers matched the manufacturer's on every item. I'll post more when they arrive if there is a problem and will contact my bank and reverse charges if they don't cooperate. Hopefully, everything will arrive as it should and I'll be one of the happy campers, Good luck, Will

Offline MEverard

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 07:13:39 AM »
Everybody has a horror story to tell. The main issue in this case is to know what you are ordering. I always go to several sites to make sure that I am getting what I need before I order it from anybody. I will also call them if I have questions. Most companies would rather talk to you before the problem is created. The internet has made our lives easier to compare prices and shop all over the country with the click of a mouse. However, it has also caused many problems, like the one outlined above. Please don't hold it against a company for one issue that we know of. I have had many dealings with them and speak volumes of their service. Additionally, as always, know what you are ordering before you click.

Good Luck,

Mike
Mike Everard
1960 GMC PD4104-4520
Antioch, CA

Offline technomadia

• Technomadia
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 10:37:48 AM »
If we honestly had questions before ordering - we would have called, delayed the order, shopped elsewhere, etc. And we did look at several sites before ordering during our research. 

In this case, there was nothing to lead us to believe that the differences between the 7000 and 7000k would be so drastic - not even the manufacturer lists the 7000 on their website.  It is a long since discontinued model, and AdventureRV did not have that indicated anywhere.  And the picture they posted MATCHED the model we were wanting to order, whereas the pictures on the other listing did not.  We had every reason to believe we were ordering what we wanted.

While yes, the buyer has responsibility for knowing what they are ordering - the seller has responsibility for providing accurate information, and standing behind their listings when they are wrong.   And we do not feel that AdventureRV has held up their end on this.

Hopefully this is just an isolated case (but reading online reviews of this vendor, shows this it is not).  But we personally are very soured on the experience and will not be recommending them.  In the Web 2.0 age of Amazon and Zappos, customer service for online shopping has higher expectations than passing the responsibility to the buyer when the seller clearly has a misleading listing. 

Yes, they offer great prices - and if you are lucky enough to get what you thought you were ordering, you'll have a positive experience with them.  Just be aware that if there are problems with your order, those few pennies of savings could end up costing you way more than what you saved.

- Cherie

Offline technomadia

• Technomadia
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2011, 11:24:40 AM »
The internet has made our lives easier to compare prices and shop all over the country with the click of a mouse. However, it has also caused many problems, like the one outlined above. Please don't hold it against a company for one issue that we know of.

The Internet hasn't caused these sorts of problems, but what it has done is made it possible for the people who experience these sorts of problems to share their experiences widely.  This is a very very good thing - not a problem at all. 

Companies that have not improved their level of customer service to match deserve the bruises to their reputation that they get as a result.

MaxxAir responded to the issue wonderfully, and they are bending over backwards to make sure that we end up with a MaxxFan we are happy with, even though the fault here lies mostly with AdventureRV and they are just the manufacturer.  Meanwhile, AdventureRV is taking a "the customer is wrong" attitude that reflects extremely poorly on them. 

That the mixup happened with an incorrect listing on their website is an honest mistake. That they expect a customer to pay ~$100 for that mistake deserves to be held against them.

Anyone who does business online should read the Cluetrain Manifesto at www.cluetrain.org.  It was published over a decade ago, and is more true now than ever.

- Chris

Offline MEverard

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2011, 12:23:19 PM »
My point was that prior to the internet we needed to talk to someone to order something. Now we are so isolated from the business because it is easier to order without human interaction.

Just my opinion.

Mike
Mike Everard
1960 GMC PD4104-4520
Antioch, CA

Offline belfert

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2011, 12:43:08 PM »
I do call companies from time to time because I have questions or they don't list the exact model I want.

I much prefer to order online because I don't have to explain to someone how to spell my name and then read off my credit card number and all that.  People often put an s in my last name instead of an f.  There are times when I call and they answer my question and I place the order online while I am talking to that person.

With Ebay and Paypal I can place an order in under a minute.  Try doing that with a human.

Offline technomadia

• Technomadia
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2011, 01:17:33 PM »
There is nothing wrong at all with conducting business by interacting directly with a human. And I totally understand why some folks, especially those who did not grow up with the internet at their fingertips, prefer that.

On the flipside, I do not feel that conducing business online is any more isolating, or less efficient, simply because there is not direct human-to-human interaction.   An e-mail is just as real of communication as a phone call... if fact, it's more useful to me, as it leaves a traceable thread with accountability for what is said. No room for mis-hearing, mis-speaking, playing 'he said she said', etc.   

It is still humans who place listings online, and a human who reads it and clicks a buy button.

A customer who picks up the phone versus a customer who reads online information is not inherently a more informed, righteous or an enlightened customer. There is nothing to predict that had we called to talk to someone before ordering that the person answering the phone would have any clue to the differences between these two products, as they are just reading from the same database I have access to online. 

It is the ATTITUDE here that is in question.  I suspect had we called and talked to the same employee, we would have met similar resistance.

This is not a question of the superiority of phone vs online.  But rather a company that is not reflecting a 'customer is right' attitude in general.

- Cherie

Offline technomadia

• Technomadia
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2011, 01:22:06 PM »
My point was that prior to the internet we needed to talk to someone to order something. Now we are so isolated from the business because it is easier to order without human interaction.

In general, "talking to a human" is much more likely to result in an order error than clicking a mouse ever will.  There is so much potential for data entry errors, misspellings, and more.

Sure - there are times when consulting with an expert while placing an order is invaluable (like talking with Luke at US Coach), but 95% of the time anyone you get on the phone when calling to place an order is the furthest thing from an expert you could ever find.

- Chris

Offline MEverard

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2011, 07:15:07 AM »
The bottom line is that in the end, I hope you get what wanted in the first place and that you have been dealt with fairly. I hope all goes well in the future regarding a replacement.

Mike
Mike Everard
1960 GMC PD4104-4520
Antioch, CA

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2011, 08:01:00 AM »
For me no voice on the other end no order even if I find it on the net in all my years I bought 1 thing off Ebay and got screwed big time.I pay a little more for my engine parts but the guys I buy from get it right the first time no point and click for me and I will not use a self checkout no way if they don't care enough for my business to offer a little service down the road I go

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline PP

• Will & Wife
    • Bookworm
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2011, 03:52:16 PM »
Chris and Cheri, I'm sorry that you didn't have a good experience with AdventureRV, but our packages arrived yesterday morning and it's been like Xmas around here ever since. We got everything we ordered, as ordered, with no damages. We did learn from your experience however, and I'm sure a few others that read this did the same. Take care and good luck, Will and Wife

Offline MEverard

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2011, 07:03:15 PM »
I'm glad everything came as promised.

Enjoy,

Mike
Mike Everard
1960 GMC PD4104-4520
Antioch, CA

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal