Author Topic: cummins big cam 6-allison 740 into mc9  (Read 4591 times)

Offline jimg1955

cummins big cam 6-allison 740 into mc9
« on: May 15, 2006, 06:54:19 PM »
what years did mci run short output shaft allison740,i was told  mci built some cummins powered mc9s mated to short shaft allison.converting my 9 from 6v92 to cummins.need flywheel flex plate,short housing,  shaft,and short bellhousing.any help would be appreciated. thanks -jim

Offline TomC

Re: cummins big cam 6-allison 740 into mc9
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 07:51:06 AM »
If you already have the NTC motor, then you're dialed into the project.  And that will be the only mechanical engine that Cummins makes with enough power for the bus (L10 was a bit lacking).  But- If I can make a suggestion- the Big cam is exactly that- BIG and heavy.  Actually about 200lb heavier than the Series 60.  If I were doing the conversion, I'd look for an M11 or ISM with either the HT740 or HD4060 (World) transmission.  I can assure you that there are hundreds of these setups around since this is the engine of choice for most of the trash trucks.   The ISM weighs at least 650lb less, is no taller than the 6V-92TA (don't have to modify the floor under the bed), and is not as long as the NTC.  In this day and age of politically correctness, having a bus that doesn't smoke is very important-getting worse as time goes on.  It is very difficult to makes an NTC not smoke-that's why the electronic N14 was brought out.  This so bad that I'm going to put a smoke turbo on my 8V-71N so my engine doesn't smoke at altitude (also want to go to Colorado and be able to climb the hills).  If you want to go completely modern and have an engine that weighs in about 1,200lb less than the NTC, the most recent version of the ISL has common rail fuel injection that makes it almost as quiet as a gas engine (sort of weird how quiet it is) and in RV version puts out 400hp with 1,200lb/ft of torque-more than enough power.  Always many different ways to go for power.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal