Author Topic: Photos of a Full-timing Newbie  (Read 13685 times)

Offline Scott & Heather

• Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102
  • MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
Photos of a Full-timing Newbie
« on: August 03, 2011, 02:08:52 PM »
My wife and I spent a year lurking on this forum before joining. We are simply impressed with the vast amount of knowledge, camaraderie, and kindness represented here. We're young (late twenties) and as green behind the ears as can be, but we're thankful for this club and we hope your combined wisdom will save us at least an error or two at some point. We began a year and a half ago converting a 1984 MCI-9 that had just been pulled from charter service.

We stripped it to frame only (including floor and seat rail removal). We raised our roof 9 inches, sided it with 1/8th inch aluminum sheet, eternabonded every seam we could, completely wrapped the interior with Reflectix, then rigid foam insulated, laid new 3/4" Plytanium tongue and groove plywood floor. We wanted our interior to resemble a modernish log home, so we knotty pined, stained, polyurethaned, and laid a floor tile that resembles slate/stone. Plumbing, electrical, etc came next. We wanted a large fridge, so we took apart a Samsung side-by-side 25.2 cubic foot fridge/freezer, cut our stainless stairs out, and squeezed it through the door opening. Built new stairs, bought new driver's and passenger's seats, installed washer and dryer, two filing cabinets, a bathroom sink, dometic porcelain loo, king bed, 39 inch neo round shower, one rooftop a/c, 30 gal water heater and a makeshift kitchen until we can afford cabinetry. And just last week, we moved in. So we're sitting here at a private camp site in Hamburg, PA at the foot of the Appalachian Trail enjoying our first week full-timing. None of our friends really "get us" or understand this lifestyle, so it's refreshing to be on a forum where we're more the norm. Thanks for any and all advice  :)

P.S. Yes, that's a 25.2 cubic foot fridge, and yes, it's a 30 gallon 110v water heater, and yes, a 39" shower. Bigger is better. I've heard a bunch of you say that.  ;)

Scott & Heather
Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9

Offline Marcus

Re: Photos of a Full-timing Newbie
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 02:30:06 PM »
Nice job. Just wandered why you have no windows? Marc

Offline Scott & Heather

• MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 02:32:21 PM »
Marc,

It's says "Private Coach" on the side...so we thought it fit having no windows. Ok not really, we just haven't shelled out the cash for them yet. $2500 for the Peninsula double pane windows we need. We'll probably cut them in next year or late this year. There will be two in the bedroom and three total up front kitchen and livingroom area.
Scott & Heather

Offline pabusnut

• P8M4905A-333 former MK&O lines #731
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 02:49:38 PM »
Welcome to the Madness!

I suggest a window or two before winter time or the madness may increase to intolerable levels during cabin fever cold and or snow.

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut(near York, PA)
GMC PD4905A333
Steve Toomey
PAbusnut

Offline Van

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 03:01:00 PM »
You two make a perfect team together! Nice progress too, shows what ya can do when you put yer mind to it. I wish you 2 much success in it's completion, Y'all's "Forte" is steadily climbing ;)

Pics always tell the tale! any one else got some...PLEEZ! ;D

Van :)
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline boxcarOkie

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 03:37:15 PM »
Nice work, it is coming along very well it appears.  I sure would like to see it up close and personal some day.  The no window thing is kind of cool ... You could call it a Super Van.

(Sorry Bikewhisperer)

BCO

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 04:12:10 PM »
ck out Herr windows. good product much less$$$$   EBay motors  look under coach parts   newly listed.  double payne.  I like it do it your way.   Bob
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline Scott & Heather

• MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 04:31:53 PM »
Steve: yeah I'm with you...it's going to get very claustrophobic soon if we don't get them in...we'll have to meet you sometime...we're close by!
Van: thanks! And I do agree, pics are worth a MILLION words!
BCO: Someone else suggested the "Super White Van" :) You all must be in cahoots...
Bob: I'll check that out yet tonight. Looking specifically for the "flash mirror" finish (almost one-way glass)...
Scott & Heather

Offline belfert

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 04:32:55 PM »
Have you had any problems with Eternabond sticking to the roof around rivets and such?  I used Eternabond on an enclosed trailer and the stuff won't stay stuck down around all the screws along the edge of the roof.  The roof leaks in spots and I need to go back and redo those spots with Dicor caulk.

Bob, I checked out new Hehr windows for my bus.  They cost three times what Motion Windows wanted.  Now, used or surplus Hehr windows are probably a good deal if you can get a size that works for you.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline demodriver

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 04:35:11 PM »
I am also a fan of doing it your way.

I would be a bit worried about a emergency exit incase of a emergency tho.

Keep us posted on your build. We all love the pics!  

Eric

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 04:44:05 PM »
Scott : make sure to go deep into listing. there were some mentioned silver further back. also call them. they are in Indiana  or Bontager  In Southern Michigan
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline jmblake

• Jason & Martha Blake
    • Creative Custom Cabinetry
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 06:08:18 PM »
Nice job and keep up the good work, Iam at the western end of Pa and get out that way about once a year. keep us posted on your progress. Jason

Offline Ralph7

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 08:01:14 PM »
       Gerat lookin, I'm near Carlisle for a short time, heading West. I built my MC-8 withgood insulation and on these high 90's the cheapee 13,500AC keeps it 78 without working hard. As for windows we went to Elkhart, and camped and I checked 3 places and  think I got them at Botanger's, then we went West N South, at Edgington RV park in NM I installed them. The fronts are thermopane rears plain old single pane, but 1 small electric heator in bedroom is just fine and same for front of bus, but no rasied roof.   

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 08:47:31 PM »
Lets see, you are young, have living quarters that are mobile in case of bad weather, natural disaster, or lack of work in the area,...probably pretty much paid for, so no 30 year mortgage or high payments. And your friends can't figure this out?  ;D ;D ;D
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Offline muldoonman

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 09:17:05 PM »
Cool bus guys. Keep us posted and good luck.

Take care,
glen

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal