Author Topic: AMP ????  (Read 1658 times)

Offline wal1809

AMP ????
« on: August 03, 2011, 06:15:26 PM »
Alright if yall would please help the electrically challenged, again.

The squirrel cage motor on the remote gen rad is a GE 1/2 hp   9.5 am  115 volt.  It is plugged into an outlet in the bay.  Also plugged into that outlet is this motor which I have not been able to find the amp rating (I can't imagine it is high at all)
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-inch-clear-water-pump-1479.html

I have 2-  30 amp breakers in the box and all the rest are 20 amp (about 10 of them).  I am sure one of the 20 amp breakers is feeding the outlet.

Now the squirrel will be running all the time and the little pump will be run about every 30 minutes for 3 minutes at a time.

Do yall suppose these two on the same outlet will creat a problem?  Sean I kow you know electrical.  Can you dummy this down for an electrical dumbarse?
1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com

Offline wal1809

Re: AMP ????
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 06:17:14 PM »
Oh the little pump feeds the veg oil from the main tank to the heated smaller tank in the engine compartment.  I run it by way of a 12v relay and a toggle switch on the dashboard.
1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com

Offline Sean

• Geek.
  • '85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"
    • Our Odyssey
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 09:21:43 PM »
I would suggest two separate circuits for these two devices.  Moreover, I would further recommend that the generator fan be powered only when the generator is running (and not, for example, from shore power), which would suggest adding a panel between the generator and the transfer mechanism, with the radiator fan fed from this panel.  Now the fan will run regardless of the position of the transfer mechanism, which is what you want.

All that said, the 1/2 HP motor on this pump probably draws around 6 amps.  The maximum current a 20-amp circuit can carry indefinitely is 16 amps, so you should be OK so long as the motor starting current is less than 10 amps.  That's a big if -- this pump is designed for water, so starting it with a more viscous fluid such as vegetable oil is a big unknown.  The only way to know is to measure it under load with the oil at the lowest expected temperature (in the pump, not in the tank).

HTH,

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

artvonne

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 09:26:40 PM »
  That pump is listed at 1/2 HP. 1 HP is generally stated at 745 watts, but thats in a perfect world, so consider perhaps a 20% loss, Probably safe to say 500 watts, divide by 120, plus starting load, say 5 amps. But that pump is designed to pump clear water, not sure how it will perform pumping something more viscous.

artvonne

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 09:28:15 PM »
  lol, we had the same basic thoughts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal