Author Topic: ? For Tom C  (Read 920 times)

Offline luvrbus

? For Tom C
« on: August 08, 2011, 09:18:04 PM »
Are the new Cat CT660 trucks the Navistar and Cat joint venture I saw 4 of those today going to Chasmans in Vegas not a bad looking truck I understand from the Cat rep they come with 11L,13L and the 15L engines I like the big old Cat emblem in the middle of the grill looks sharp. Remember when I told you Cat was coming back but their own truck brand lol I didn't believe that when I was told but seeing is believing.

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline TomC

Re: ? For Tom C
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 11:24:26 PM »
That's true that Caterpillar now has their own truck-built with International.  Granted the new hood looks distinctly Caterpillar, but the cab is from a International Paystar (old design) and most of the truck is built with International equipment.  Including the engines-if you notice the 11 and 13 liter are called CT11 and CT13 which is the International Maxxforce engines built by MAN with yellow paint-not to be confused with Caterpillars own excellent C11 and C13 liter-of which do not come up to 2010 smog standards.  When Caterpillar does bring out the CT15-it will be based on the Caterpillar C15 engine, but with Internationals fuel and smog system on it.  So it should be just about as bad as the 11 and 13 is. 
International is currently using an enhanced EGR system without Urea or DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid).  And while they are clean burning, they are still quite a ways away from meeting current EPA exhaust numbers.  International is so stubborn about their system that doesn't work, they are coming out with their own version of Urea-not liquid, but in a solid form in what looks like a spin on oil filter in 2012.  Proof positive that the Urea systems are working well on all other engines and getting excellent fuel mileage to boot. 
I know of one trucker running between Salt Lake City and Phoenix at 80,000lbs all the time, keeping his speed to 62mph, and getting right at 8mpg with his Freightliner truck and Detroit DD15 engine.  Pretty hard to beat that!  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal