Author Topic: Why doe everything seem like 1/4 step forward and a full step back?  (Read 6078 times)

Offline belfert

I was really super optimistic I was going to get my bus back on the road this past weekend, but everything I've done in the past few days seemed like 1/4 step forward and one step back.  It doesn't help that I developed a mild cold Saturday morning and my nose is running like crazy.

On Saturday morning I decided a Gates Powergrip hose clamp was the answer to my hose clamp dilemma.  The shorter version of the story is I ordered the total wrong size from O'reilly the first time and had to order again.  I've now ordered the clamp a total of four times as what was supposed to be the right size was 1/16" too small.  I read the O'Reilly website wrong this morning and ordered the wrong size a second time.  I'm hoping my fifth visit to O'Reilly tomorrow will get me the right size clamps.

This evening I went to put the intake piping back on and found out one of the band clamps has lost a piece along the way.  Now I have to stop on the way home from work tomorrow and get a new one.  Luckily I have six truck parts places within 20 minutes of my house.  It would have been dark by the time I spend 45 minutes getting a new one this evening.  (I wouldn't replace the clamp if it wasn't for there being a nearby place to get one.)

Tomorrow is a new day and hopefully I'll have all the parts I need to finish.  I'm predicting I'll be totally finished and ready for the road Wednesday or Thursday evening if it doesn't rain.  Okay, venting over! 
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline wal1809

Re: Why doe everything seem like 1/4 step forward and a full step back?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 06:44:41 PM »
Good luck bus brother I am right behind you.
1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com

Offline demodriver

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 06:50:02 PM »
I would be tickled to death if my biggest problem in the last day was a wrong hose clamp. If even it was for the tenth time.

In the last week,
transfer fuel tank starting leaking, 30 gallons of fuel in the bed of my truck and front yard.

dozer keeps over heating, plus the track tensioner has a blown seal that isnt available ANYWHERE

Sending unit in my trucks fuel tank starting spraying fuel out of return line, tank has to be removed to fix

blown rear break line behind fuel tank on same truck

tire again on the same truck blew

my point is, no matter how bad your day has been there is always some one who has had a day that has went worse.

Have a good day lol ;D

Eric

Offline Chopper Scott

• MCI 7
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 07:05:46 PM »
The best way to make your adventure easier is to remember that it's the journey that is the best part. Once you've arrived you'll just be looking for another journey!! Sad but true when you are classified as a nut.
Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 07:15:35 PM »
I didn't break a thing! I did nothing ;D
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline Kevin

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 07:41:27 PM »
Hang in there Brian,

You are so close you can taste it! That's got to be frustrating! >:( Still, you'll get there soon enough and the satisfaction will outweigh any misery you're currently experiencing.

A word of caution (and forgive me if this sounds insulting) please take your time once you've assembled everything to give it all a nice, slow and thorough double-check over prior to start up. Every last item buttoned up? Full of oil and coolant? All tools out of engine compartment?

I know, I know. But I've done some pretty silly things in my hurry to complete a job, especially when I'm behind schedule and impatient or frustrated.

I can't wait to hear how she runs! I know it's going to be worth all the hard work!  ;)

Kevin
Quartz Hill, CA

"To the gov!!!"

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 07:56:55 PM »
I said I didn't do anything to day. now rest of story had a ground fail on power cord. cost me a air conditioner ,sound system, lighting control, sat box,weinguard antenna. so see we all have bad days.   Bob  and a blueray player
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline papatony

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 08:30:12 PM »
Very few of us are young any more, Sucks dosen't

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 10:43:20 PM »
Brian,
Now I have 2 questions for you!

1st off you know I am an avid fan/user of the Gates* Power Grip Clamps and have at least one of every size on the shelf.

Why didn't you call me and ask for the correct size? (at least that question I could have answered easily and correctly.)

And you say the bus is road ready, Seriously, All projects completely finished and ready for the big trip to the desert in NV?

OK 3 questions when is this big trip?

Naw shoot man you got plenty o time get in there and tackle another project! We ain't used to you not worrying to death that you won't make it done in time the last week or two before the trip!

OK Jest kid'n, but really DONE already? WOW, I will say I am impressed! ;)
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline belfert

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 06:47:32 AM »
The sizing issues on the Powergrip clamps were mostly stupid mistakes on my part.  If one grabs the wrong hose and measures it and gets the matching clamp for that hose size that doesn't help things.  Once I did get the size that was supposed to match the ID of my hose it was 1/16" too small.  I wanted to order the 3 1/4" to 3 1/2" size as a replacement, but I misread the web page and ordered the 3 1/2" to 3 5/8" by mistake.

This project should have been done several weeks ago, but record dewpoints and continual rain have really set things back.  I don't have a garage for my bus so I don't work in the rain.  I can work in the heat, but it really kills productivity with having to take breaks all the time.  Everything else is ready to go once the engine is ready to go.

And yes, I will double check all the clamps and such before I start the engine again.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 06:58:01 AM »
Gates Power Grip Clamps - neat looking idea.  I presume they are one time use only, you have to cut them off?   What problem are you trying to solve that requires that kind of clamp?

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline zubzub

• '53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.
    • pics of my bus etc....
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 06:58:42 AM »
Sounds like you are pretty much on top of things.  The little details are always the things that slow down projects unreasonably.  It is easier to make small mistakes due to lack of attention.  The big stuff gets plenty of attention, and then a wee little piss valve drains all the coolant on the ground.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 07:26:34 AM »
Is it true Jim those clamps are to be used with the blue stripe hoses and new hoses only that is what the service guy at Freight Liner told me they won't use the clamps without changing the hoses ?.
I looked at those but changing to all new hoses, carrying a heat gun, spare clamps and a $ 25 removal tool didn't impress me much,what say the Gates man

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline belfert

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 08:10:51 AM »
Gates Power Grip Clamps - neat looking idea.  I presume they are one time use only, you have to cut them off?   What problem are you trying to solve that requires that kind of clamp?

Detroit sells small pieces of hose manufactured for them by Flexfab.  They are maybe 3" long and are for the connection between the oil cooler and the water pump on a Series 60.  Dina did some custom stuff and one of the hoses actually has to be trimmed to a shorter length for stuff to fit.  It is fairly difficult to get a regular hose clamp positioned properly on this hose.  The Powergrip clamp can be placed right over the bead and it forms perfectly to the hose.

Twice I have had original pieces of silicone hose split while on the road.  Every piece of hose I removed for this project I replaced to be safe.  The older hoses develop a set and it is difficult to get them back on exactly in the same spot.  I am only using the Powergrip clamps in one spot although I do have some I installed on hoses I replaced back in 2007.  There are some places the Powergrip clamps can't be used in my case because I couldn't get the heat gun in there.

Bryce was the one who turned me on to the Powergrip clamps.  He really likes them.  I don't recall anything about having to use new hoses, but Clifford is probably right.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 08:15:15 AM »
I don't know for sure Brian but our local Gates guy Jim will 

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal