Author Topic: Remote door unlock for MCI 7 Ideas?  (Read 4660 times)

Offline oldmansax

Remote door unlock for MCI 7 Ideas?
« on: October 05, 2006, 05:59:52 PM »
My MCI 7 has the original door mechanism intact. That means, if I shut the door hard, the handle will swing around to the “lock” position. I then have to unlock the padlock on the manual door opener (not sure what the correct name is), and push the knob to “unlock” the door. I would like to install an electric, remote control device to “unlock” the door like most cars have. I would like to leave the existing mechanism in place in case of electrical failure. Do not want to use air as it leaks down after a couple of days. I am looking for suggestions/ideas. Anyone ever done this before?  ???
1995 Wanderlodge WB40 current
1985 Wanderlodge PT36
1990 Holiday Rambler
1982 Wanderlodge PT40
1972 MCI MC7

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
Re: Remote door unlock for MCI 7 Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 06:17:39 PM »
Tom,

Have you considered putting in a truck like paddle door lock like on a semi.

Jack Conrad has come up with a clever and cool solution if your interested in something like that.

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline oldmansax

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 06:39:50 PM »
Cliff, I already have a standard pull type door handle on the door as well as the original lock mechanism. I should have said that in my original post. I have thought about just disconnecting the original bar & handle but the door is somewhat heavy & it is handy to let folks in without getting up from the seat. I have not disassembled the original lock yet to see how it works but I am thinking about using a starter solenoid to "push" the handle to the "unlock" position. Even if that works, I don't know how the make it "remote".
1985 Wanderlodge PT36
1990 Holiday Rambler
1982 Wanderlodge PT40
1972 MCI MC7

Offline ceieio

• MCI 7 DD 8V71, HT740
  • 1973 MCI 7
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 10:54:40 PM »
Tom, my Dad likes to make electric doors for his customs using VW bug starter solenoids. They have a pretty good pull to them. For tough applications, he has used two of them side by side and rigged them together with fabricated linkage.

You can hide a micro switch on the bus somewhere to a relay to control the solenoid (maybe in the fuel door?)  Dad has put these switches in clever places.  I remember one car that you pressed a certain portion of the chrome trim and the door popped open.  Another was in a recessed antenna well, and on yet another one you pressed on the license plate light (left one for drivers door, and right one for passenger door.)

Another thought would be to get an electric barrel switch or other alarm type keyed switch and install it on the bus to activate the solenoid.  This would give you more security.

Good luck!

Craig - MC7 Oregon
Craig MC7 - Oregon USA

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 04:31:29 AM »
There are all sorts of products available in the hot rod world to give 'remote' operation of door locks, or you can buy similar kits from Tandy / Radio Shack / Maplin etc. As you probably know, the hot rod & custom crowd often have remote opening trunk lids, remote engine starting etc, so simply operating a solenoid by infra-red or ultra-sonic is pretty straightforward.

I'd like to do something similar to my coach, but European buses have to have a rear emergency exit, so that door is actually the one that is made lockable - the front door can be deadlocked (very securely), but only from the inside, so when leaving the vehicle for the night the driver exits from the rear door, which is about 4 feet above the ground.

Jeremy
A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 02:47:26 PM »
Hello oldmansax.

If you would prefer a simpler alternative...

Adjust the door mechanism so that it won't lock by slamming the door, but will still lock with handle.

remove the cover over the door operating arm, you will see that the rod is threaded, with a connecting piece in the middle.

With the big wrench, by turning the middle one, you'll adjust the rod's length. (can't remember, I think you want longer to make it harder to lock)

With a little experiementation, you will find the fine balance between the door handle being too tight, and the door not locking on shutting.

It might be desirable to keep it adjusted so that a really hard slam will still lock it. Easy and quick fall back if the other door lock misbehaves.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline Beatenbo

• 1993 MCI 102 C3 Cat Power
    • The Beatenbos
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 05:14:07 PM »
Soudns like a good idea, but you still have to deal with pushing or pulling the handle to open or close door. I don't know the MC7 but all the MCIs I've owne have the air lock system that keeps the door pulled tight. I know a couple folks that wish they had left it on. I have adjusted the turnbuckle on several buse and you can get a happy medium where a gentle close will not lock and a good firm shut will flip down and lock. I have a C-3 with the air open and I don't like at all . I guess I'm from the old school and like to have control of the door. You worry about hitting someone with the air door. If some one comes to door I usually release air and get up and opem manually.Also thought about totally removing and install motot home type lock. FWIW

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 05:48:58 PM »
Hello Beatenbo.

The air door is adjustable. I am assuming yours flings open when you push the switch?

It didn't do that when it was new.

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline Beatenbo

• 1993 MCI 102 C3 Cat Power
    • The Beatenbos
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 06:24:29 PM »
Your right BW MCI service center told me how to put anti freeze in it to slow it down. I need to put that on my list. Good day.

Offline oldmansax

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 06:37:28 PM »
This is what I like about this board. I can get all kinds of good ideas to solve problems!

When it quits raining, I am going to look into the adjustment deal first. Then I will see about implementing some of the other suggestions. I still think I will put some kind of remote on the bus to "unlock" the door. Now I have some ideas of how to do it.

Thanks to All!!

TOM
1985 Wanderlodge PT36
1990 Holiday Rambler
1982 Wanderlodge PT40
1972 MCI MC7

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal