Author Topic: ? MCI 9 Steering wheel replacement ?  (Read 12547 times)

Offline gr8njt

• MCI-9 Crusader II
    • Bus Pages
? MCI 9 Steering wheel replacement ?
« on: October 06, 2006, 04:02:38 PM »
I need help on two items:
1. Is there an electric windshield wiper motor replacement for the MCI-9 stock ones? If so, where do I get them? And how much should I expect to pay? Is it an easy DIY?
2. I want to replace my tired, cracked, and ugly stock MCI-9 steering wheel with an after-market one to blend well with my new R&M dash. Between 18-20 inches in wheel diameter I guess is good with similar styles made for Peterbilt and Freightliner.
But what other specs should I be looking for direct bolt on fit? Number of splines? Diameter of the steering "rod"?
Ronthebusnut has some steering wheels for sale at his website but does not have specific individual application.
I appreciate any help.
****1982 MCI-9 Crusader-II Bus Conversion****
R&M 102 C-3 style Front & Rear cap with louver kit
smooth side kit, dash-board kit, one piece siding

belfert

Re: ? MCI 9 Steering wheel replacement ?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 06:02:38 PM »
I am going to see Ron the Busnut tomorrow.  Should I ask him about a steering wheel for an MC-9 if I remember?

Brian Elfert

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 06:44:18 PM »
I believe that IBP has aftermarket wheels made specificaly for buses! And if I remember right Nick or some other regular here on the board got one from them not so long ago! BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 06:56:32 PM »
VIP makes a nice variety of steering wheels.  The wheels fit almost all buses, and MCI 9 is one of them, because they use an insert made for each bus that fits inside the steering wheel.  Check out their website.  I stayed with the stock diameter wheel, 22".  When you are choosing spokes etc, try to pick a model that won't block your gauges, especially critical ones like a tach.

You can order the wheel from International Bus and Parts, or you can call VIP directly.  They do not sell retail, but they do have factory seconds that to my eye are indistinguishable from the 1st quality.  They will sell the seconds to the general public at about half what you'd pay anywhere else for the same wheel.  I got  an nice chrome and mahogany for $125, normally $225.  It sure dresses up the front.

http://www.vipwheels.com/

Vehicle Improvement Products
151 S Ram Rd
Antioch, IL 60002

p. (847) 395-7250
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

Offline gr8njt

• MCI-9 Crusader II
    • Bus Pages
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 07:15:17 PM »
Thanks all. I'll call IBP and VIP early Monday re: steering wheel.
Brian, I'm looking forward to your visit with Ronthebusnut and possibly get info on his steering wheels.
How about the electric windshiled wiper motors. Is it possible to get the OE wiper replaced with direct electric bolt on?

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 07:17:09 PM »
FYI -The steering wheels IBP sells are made by VIP.  enjoy
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

Offline gr8njt

• MCI-9 Crusader II
    • Bus Pages
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 07:25:22 PM »
FYI -The steering wheels IBP sells are made by VIP.  enjoy
Thanks for the FYI.
I visited IBP's website tonight but their online catalog is under construction.
I guess I've got to wait till Monday.

Offline RJ

• Vantaré Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 11:24:28 PM »
There are thousands of buses plying the highways and city streets with air-powered wipers, some even with the intermittant feature commonly found on autos nowdays.  When properly maintained, they work well in all kinds of weather - especially snow, which can easily burn out electrics.

If yours aren't working properly, it's time for some PM.

One of the easiest "fixes" is to take the air supply line off the motor and spray some lubricant inside, then work the wiper arms back and forth manually to spread the lubricant around.  Re-attach the air line, and you're often back in business.  Be sure to use a lubricant that's gentle on rubber. . .

Sprague is the major player in the air wiper motor supply chain, in case you're interested.

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline jdr

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 09:01:52 PM »
If you are going to throw your rusted, busted, no good steering wheel in the dumpster I would like to have it. I need to seriously work one over for a 1980 MCI9. If you want to send it down the road you can reach me 208 870 4342 or raederworks@yahoo.com        Jim

belfert

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 10:23:39 PM »
Thanks all. I'll call IBP and VIP early Monday re: steering wheel.
Brian, I'm looking forward to your visit with Ronthebusnut and possibly get info on his steering wheels.

Ron was no help on which VIP steering wheel for a MC9.  He had a whole stack of different ones, but he said that the MC9 didn't always have the same steering wheel so to be sure you would need to pull the existing one and count the splines.

Maybe IBP can be of more help.

Brian Elfert

Offline gr8njt

• MCI-9 Crusader II
    • Bus Pages
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 05:21:00 PM »
Ron was no help on which VIP steering wheel for a MC9.  He had a whole stack of different ones, but he said that the MC9 didn't always have the same steering wheel so to be sure you would need to pull the existing one and count the splines.
Maybe IBP can be of more help.
Brian Elfert
Thanks Brian. I'll pull of the steering wheel on Monday so I know what to ask IBP or Ronthebusnut.
JDR, as soon as I get the aftermarket steering, I'll give you a ring.

Offline Melbo

• MC8 under construction
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006, 05:30:41 PM »
If pulling the wheel on a 9 is like pulling the wheel on an 8 it is a little tricky

when you remove the nut (which is easy enough) the holes for the puller are too close to the shaft to leave the nut in place to push against.

I put a 1/2 inch square rod across the hole in the shaft to pull against but it started to crush the column shaft

I then used a lot of penetrating oil and let it set for a spell

then I took a 3/4 inch rod ( one and a half inches long) and put it inside a 1" thick wall tube ( one inch long ) and drilled and pinned them together with the rod protruding 1/2 inch

I placed the protruding rod into the shaft ( had to double the horn wire over inside ) and center drilled the rod at the other end for the puller to push against and not slip off

Still took a pretty good pull to get it to break loose but it didn't damage the threads on the column shaft just a hint incase you have the same set up I did

Melbo
If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF

Offline gr8njt

• MCI-9 Crusader II
    • Bus Pages
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2006, 05:33:51 PM »
Thanks for the info Melbo. I'll start soaking the shaft with WD-40 tonight.

belfert

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2006, 05:43:22 PM »
What advantage is the smaller steering wheel?  Ron said my wheel is probably 20" and highly recommended I replace it with an 18".  (I was too lazy to measure my existing wheel.)

My steering wheel is so dirty and worn that I may replace it yet, but not because it is too big.

Brian Elfert

Offline gr8njt

• MCI-9 Crusader II
    • Bus Pages
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2006, 06:55:13 AM »
What advantage is the smaller steering wheel?  Ron said my wheel is probably 20" and highly recommended I replace it with an 18".  (I was too lazy to measure my existing wheel.) My steering wheel is so dirty and worn that I may replace it yet, but not because it is too big.
Brian Elfert
Well, aside from the aesthetic reasons, a smaller steering wheel provides a quicker steering response, more elbow
and knee room within a very limited cockpit space.
A foam padded and leather wrapped steering wheel also provides comfortable gripping surface in those long trips.
Just my personal opinion that's why this is my next purchase.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal