Author Topic: clutch tolerances... help needed  (Read 3319 times)

Offline Dickie4903

clutch tolerances... help needed
« on: April 18, 2006, 01:43:45 AM »
Wow, a lot has changed since last time I was here!  I'm hoping that I've come to the right place for information regarding the clutch in my bands coach.  Months ago, we lost he clutch in our 1968 GM 4903 (4-speed).  We managed to get our hands on three new clutch plates for it, but as the mechanic is now finally getting us back on the road, he has a question about the thickness tolerances of the steel plates within the clutch plates.  My mechanical knowledge is limited regarding clutches, but I'm assuming these are some type of pressure plate.  Our mechanic is telling me that the plates in question are in poor shape, but could possibly be turned by a machinist, IF there is enough tolerance left.  Keep in mind that we are a band, and on a limited budget.  Between the clutch plates and towing, we've already got $1100 tied up.  In hindsight, we should have towed it to our regular mechanic, but we were led to believe our current guy had all kinds of experience with this type of thing and we'd be back rolling in no time.  Any information that could be offered to help us get past this fiasco is GREATLY appreciated!   I've been put in charge of making the magic happen, and this board seems to be a gold mine of information. 

Offline LUKE at US COACH

Re: clutch tolerances... help needed
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 06:22:26 PM »
HI Dickie and Folks:

Although you may have a limited budget, it is cheaper to it RIGHT!!! the first time than to do it over,

The plates were never designed to be cut down.  If they are burned or warped, they are finished!!!!

I would also offer, that unless you are dealing with a mechanical shop that understands how to trouble shoot that wet clutch, you may be "Short Changed" by their lack of knowledge.  For example, they must inspect the lip on the pressure plate, the condition of the conical spring, the throwout bearing, races and spacers, throwout brg. collar etc. etc.

If they or you have any doubts, you and/or your mechanic are welcome to call me toll free tomorrow at:  1-888-262-2434, for direction.  I Hate!! to see folks pay for the same thing twice due to "Lack of Experience"!!!

I Hope this HELPS!!!

Happy & SAFE!!! Bussin' to ALL.

LUKE at US COACH

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal