Author Topic: Guessing game again-  (Read 6196 times)

Offline Brill-o

Guessing game again-
« on: October 07, 2006, 02:53:38 PM »

Hello-

It’s been raining hard here, so I haven’t worked in the area preferred and be doing some more cleaning and investigating inside.

I removed a rubber shelve with steel backing on a small raised platform right behind the drivers seat. I found a small compartment where the main wiring trunk goes through and found this oblong thing (see pic)-

I believe it is an element for the interior heating sys, as it has copper tubes running to it which go into a channel that runs the length of the lower length of the coach walls in an extended tunnel.

Although I found some disconnected wires at the harness, I could not find a source on the unit to where wires would connect.

So, like my rad’ expansion tank, instead of asking what it is, I'm looking for educated (and uneducated—like myself) guesses.

Have an idea? Take a shot at it-

And if you really want to ponder something, try this:

My interior roof lights (after much fiddling and fooling around) didn’t work—until it started leaking rain through the roof and got some of the bulbs wet. The bulbs with water literally dripping off of them were the brightest! My guess is the water completed the circuit-

They never worked until the rain...

Cheers-

Mind the Gap!

Offline Dale MC8

Re: Guessing game again-
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 04:41:30 PM »
Don't know what that thingy is...BUT I do have an idea about your lights. In a previous life I worked as a microfilm equipment repairman. Some of the stuff I worked on used automotive bulbs for lighting. Over time the vibration of the machine would cause the solder contacts on these bulbs to flatten out and lose contact with the socket contacts making the bulbs flicker and/or go out. Sounds like a similar situation to me..........FWIW
Dale MC8
Dale MC8

In Theory, theory and practice are the same.
In Practice, they aren't.

Offline TomC

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 09:30:02 PM »
Maybe that oblong thing is an electric preheater for the heater up front to speed up warming the coolant to get warm air faster when warming up the engine.  I know Mercedes cars have that so you get warm air immediately even when the car is cold.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

belfert

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 10:17:48 PM »
Don't know what that thingy is...BUT I do have an idea about your lights. In a previous life I worked as a microfilm equipment repairman. Some of the stuff I worked on used automotive bulbs for lighting. Over time the vibration of the machine would cause the solder contacts on these bulbs to flatten out and lose contact with the socket contacts making the bulbs flicker and/or go out. Sounds like a similar situation to me..........FWIW
Dale MC8

I had this problem with the solder contacts being flat on one of my brake light bulbs.  New bulbs might help for the roof lighting isssue.  I have no idea on the copper thing.

Brian Elfert

Offline eglluvr

• The Quest is But The Beginning...
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 01:31:45 PM »
I think, based solely on the alignment of the planets and a Non-educated WAG, also taking into account the apparent lack of electrical connectivity, that this is a Bi-metallic Hydronic Thermocouple.    8)

But I have been accused of being opinionated before   :o

Jim

Offline Brill-o

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 04:34:21 PM »

Hello-

Thank you for the replies- (I’m hoping for some more…)

Jim- I’m glad I could read that, because I sure couldn’t spell it!
Can you go in to a bit more detail on your thoughts?

I might have to take it apart, because it may have been leaking-
I will look at it closer to verify this.

A note on the lights:
The hang from the ceiling, so I don’t think the bulb tips were the issue.
It had stopped raining late last night, but the bulbs were still wet.
I sprayed them all with penetrate.

The wires coming into the housing were grounding, and I think that fixed it-

How about some more help on the “round thingie”
Please!

Cheers-

Mind the Gap!

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 01:45:03 PM »
Check this site out - maybe they can help you with a manual.

http://www.aacalibrary.org/contact/sample-request.aspx

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline Brill-o

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 05:06:56 PM »

Hello again, Len-

Thank you for the info!
I’ve contacted them and waiting for a reply-

How is it that you are always one of the few to come to my aide?
You always seem to be the “man of the hour”, for me.

I can’t thank you enough for taking the time to help me out!

Anyone else care to give this strange piece in the pic a guess?

And what about you, Jim? I'd still like some more info on your thought-line?

Cheers,
  Barry
 (I thought I’d better post my name this time--just in case Nick (or anyone else) had any concern)

Mind the Gap!

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 07:09:27 PM »
Brill-o...I got an idea for the oblong thingy...remove it and disassemble it.  Once the insides are visible, it should (that's "should") be a little easier to sort out.   Seeing the insides would allow "educated" guesses.   Another SWAG would be a possible expansion chamber of some sort?  If it has a heating element in it...well, that would be something else then. 
I'd love to help out...I got lots of opinions...but they ain't applicable to a Brill.... ???  I can't help much. 
Regarding those light fixture...replace the things.  Verify a good ground and you'll solve your ceiling light problems.  Although, I wouldn't replace them until the leaking ceiling is repaired....battery voltage on wet electrical components will corrode so fast!   I believe that's electrolysis?  Whatever, it's bad. 
You're doing a fine job!  Cannot imagine a project of that magnitude!  You are to be commended on your progress!
Hope to see a post describing your driving experience soon!
While I cannot add much to your project...you got my support! I'd love to see it sometime.
Best, JR
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline Connel

• Eagle 05 w/Ser60 & HD4060PR
  • Day Eagle landed & before total rebuild.
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 07:32:23 PM »
Barry,
It is not that I do not want to help - I know nothing about a Brill.

"How about some more help on the “round thingie”
Please!"

And as far as the "round thingie" don't have a clue.

Does the copper line come out of the left end of the thingie and go to what appears to be a box.  If so, maybe the box will give you a clue.  Or take the line loose that comes out of the top and see what comes out of the line if anything.  Almost looks like an expansion chamber of come kind.

Central Oklahoma

Refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Offline Hartley

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 07:37:07 PM »
You know that picture keeps bugging me, I have seen something like that somewhere before.

Your bus is a Gasoline Powered monster right?

Trace that feed line and my guess is that it is a vacuum canister for maybe old windshield wipers or something
that used a vacuum source off the intake manifold.

Or it could be an air accumulator for maybe an air assist clutch,door operator or air assist steering???

It may be T-'d into an air line somewhere too....

I wish I had an answer but I have had my share of wierd and unusual buses with some wierd plumbing.

Dave.....
 ;)
Never take a knife to a gunfight!

Offline eglluvr

• The Quest is But The Beginning...
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 10:33:11 AM »
Barry,
  Based on the facts that there are no aparrent electrical connections, and that it appears "Plumbed"  I Hypothesize that it is either Hydraulic or Pneumatic.  Based upon the fact that it appears to be either mechanical or Passive, and not electronic, I Further hypothesize that it is thermostatic-ish, With the lines appearing to dissapear into the wall, I again WAG that the unit is a pre-flow type device, that ensures that whatever liquid it is dispersing is at an adequate temp, prior to opening to allow flow....

Or Something like that

Jiim

;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal