Author Topic: Sources for Tail light, Turn Signal Lenses, Reflectors, etc. for 4107's ???  (Read 4313 times)

Offline Runcutter

• Runcutter.com
Does anyone have recommended sources for replacement lenses (OEM)?   I think many of my 4107's lenses are original.  I have a cracked brake light lens, some other lenses (front and rear) are kind of beat up/scratched. 

I've googled Cats Eye 55, other mfg/part nos from lenses, no success.  Looked at online catalogs (GM Bus Guy, IBP, others) - those that mention lenses don't have detail.  Since plastic deteriorates, I'd prefer to replace with the newest I can find, rather than replace 38 year old lenses with other 38 year old lenses.

Fabricated my own license plate light and bracket this weekend, original brackets were rusted away and previous owner had only a dangling bulb left to be legal.  I'd prefer original equipment, but first goal is to be totally legal, second goal safe (pretty synonymous). 

Have a ways to go to get to the third goal - appearance - the minor baggage bay dents, bent radiator screen, etc. are much more noticable than crazed plastic lenses.     

Thanks.

Arthur Gaudet  Carrollton, TX
Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
Former owner of a 1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others

Offline RJ

• Vantaré Conversion "Miss Vivian"
Arthur -

California Bus Sales, the local Thomas Built Buses skoolie dealer, has those 7" lights found on the rear of your 4107 available in LED, both amber and red.  Not sure of the price, but can find out for you.  IIRC, available both in 12 & 24 vdc.

Do you also need the corner clearance light lenses?  IBP carries replacements, altho not in their on-line catalog.  You'd have to call them.

The OEM front center "Michigan Markers" are glass, not plastic, and NLA, unless somebody's cleaning out an old parts house, doesn't toss them in the trash heap, and you get lucky. 

If you've got front & rear caps on your bus, then you can use just about any after-market truck lights, including the new LED units.  Truck-Lite, Grote, etc. are some vendors.

Luke might have some new OEM front turn signal lenses, not sure of their age, tho.  1-888-262-2434 is his number.  Others have replaced them with more common truck units, again, you could use the newer LEDs.

The "BeeHive" side turn signal lamps are also now available as LEDs, IIRC Truck-Lite carries them.

HTH. . .

;)

1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline Runcutter

• Runcutter.com
Russ, thanks.  Years as a trolley museum member make me want to be curatorially correct, with only the necessary compromises (rooftop a/c).  I even want to consider restoring the original side windows, where previous owner skinned them over.  Despite losing any insulating factor, my satisfaction with the appearance is also an issue.

I'm doing my best to restore the interior, at least forward of the white line, to original condition.  Coach doesn't and won't have front cap - the rear is only a fiberglas replacement for the original glass.  If I had my druthers, coach would appear original outside, and forward of the white line,

However, I have been wondering about LED's, as you suggest.  I was breaking in a new driver on the Boston line a few decades ago - teenage girl pulled out of parking space and hit the side of the bus.  She "didn't see it."  I had to ask her how she couldn't see something 40 feet long (4905), 8 feet wide, 11 feet tall, silver and yellow.  Anything that aids conspicuity is a plus - so I may move toward LED's.

Again, thanks.

Arthur Gaudet  Carrollton, TX 
Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
Former owner of a 1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others

Offline tekebird

aRTHER, i LIKE YOUR FORWARD OF THE WHITE LINE MENTALITY AS WELL AS EXTERIOR RESTORATION.

sorry for the caps...

email me at tekebird@yahoo.com,

Have lots of things that may be of use/interest to you

Doug Wotring

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal