Author Topic: It's alive!  (Read 892 times)

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
It's alive!
« on: August 28, 2011, 08:21:30 AM »
Bwahaha   ;D ;D ;D

Filled the fuel filters, turned on the priming pump, cracked the line at the pump and almost instantly got fuel flowing out.  Pumped into a bucket to get the air out, connected it up, ran the pump and cranked with the stop lever over to no-fuel to put fuel into the heads.  Cranked a few times, it tried to  fire a couple of times, then it caught.  Really quick idle adjustment to just over 400 rpm, it idles and revs up no problem, tends to stall when it comes back to idle, which I figure is the buffer screw being backed right out.  One bank was completely clean after 30 seconds, the other bank is still blowing some dirty smoke.    55 - 60 psi oil pressure at 400 rpm, cold oil obviously.  Air pressure built to 60 psi and air started coming out of all the air fittings I haven't hooked up yet in less than a minute.  Dare I say YEAH, HOT DOG BABY!

One thing of interest - after it ran for a bit with the priming pump left on, it stalled and wouldn't recrank.  The priming pump was keeping enough fuel pressure that the cut-off switch was activated, and I had to turn the priming pump off to get it to crank again.  No pics, sorry, still working alone...

A very very happy Brian up in Dundas Ontario, now home of ONE MORE RUNNING DETROIT DIESEL TWO STROKE, BABY!
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

Re: It's alive!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 08:58:54 AM »
Congratulations Brian, ;D  Just off the top of my head, isn't fast idle about 1100 and low idle about 700-800?  400 sounds like it would be too low and the engine would have a tendency to "lope" and or die at that speed.
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 09:15:25 AM »
He will probably have to up the idle a little to stop the stutter 500 rpm idle for a manual transmission  600 to 650 rpm idle for automatics 7 or 800 is a little high for idle a lot of fast idles are set on 850 or 900 rpm 800 rpm is the min for long periods of idle on a DD I set the fast idle on 900 to 950 with out factory air fwiw.
The lope is caused by a wrong governor setting and wore out fuel rod bushing on each end fwiw,guys with manual transmission usually set their rpm where the old 4 speed shifts best 

Good job Brian you are getting there

good luck
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 09:24:42 AM by luvrbus »
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline lostagain

• MC5C
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 09:50:05 AM »
Great news Brian!

If you don't get us a video, you'll have to drive it around the continent to show all your bus nut friends your new bus, LOL.

JC
JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740