Author Topic: Found my oil leak - now how to fix? - Added Photo  (Read 19201 times)

Ace

Re: Found my oil leak - now how to fix? - Added Photo
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2006, 02:09:29 PM »
I'll be honest with you. If you haven't cleaned it at all and that's the oil leak, I don't think you have much to worry about because from the looks of it, even the freeze plug looks pretty dry! USUALLY, and oil leak like you originally described makes for a nasty looking mess and I'm just not seeing it in this pic!

Ace

belfert

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2006, 03:09:02 PM »
I'll be honest with you. If you haven't cleaned it at all and that's the oil leak, I don't think you have much to worry about because from the looks of it, even the freeze plug looks pretty dry! USUALLY, and oil leak like you originally described makes for a nasty looking mess and I'm just not seeing it in this pic!

I cleaned the engine and then ran it.  I have not cleaned it again since I ran the engine.  I took the picture after I cleaned it and after I ran the engine.

Oil is coming out in almost a stream from the leak.  I get a lot of oil on the ground where before I might get a drip every few days.

Brian Elfert

belfert

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2006, 08:31:12 PM »
I had someone over today and they crawled under the bus and actually looked up at the problem area instead of from the side.  It is for sure the oil filter adapter leaking.  It appears the oil filter adapter may be cracked.  The oil cooler cover has to come off to fix the oil filter adapter so the orings on the cooler will get replaced too.

Brian Elfert

Offline TommyT

Re: Found my oil leak - now how to fix? -
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2006, 01:23:52 AM »
Ok,I'm new to this board.I signed on so I could help with your oil leak. More than likely it is the o-ring between the oil cooler/filter base and the block. Over time the heat will harden the o-rings.Drain water/antifreeze,remove water hoses/pipe from oil cooler to water pump(now would be a good time to replace the 2 short hoses and the 2 smaller ones from the water pump to the thermostat housing)you will have to loosen/remove all 4 clamps. unhook all heater hoses,turbo oil supply line,etc from oil cooler.remove oil filters. there are 4 bolts(15mm socket size) that hold the oil cooler/filter base to the block 2 behind the filters 1 at the rear(in your case the front being a bus) and 1 at the top,remove bolts and pull oil cooler/filter base from block. there are 3 o-rings 1 water(large) and 2 oil(small) clean oil cooler and block replace all orings and reassemble ( put a little bit of grease on oil o-rings to hold them in place,lubricate water o-ring and hoses with antifreeze) cost of o-rings and hoses should be around 40$ to 60$ This is a pretty easy job. Hope this helps. p/s DO NOT USE THE BOLTS TO PULL THE OIL COOLER UP TO THE BLOCK!!!!$$$$$$  TommyT   

Burgermeister

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2006, 03:34:28 AM »
Post Deleted and sent to moderators for review.

Dallas

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2006, 04:18:42 AM »
Welcome TommyT,

We are glad you joined!

Marc is right, You seem to know your S60's. Thanks for chimming in to help Brian.

Nick Badame
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2006, 04:45:46 AM »
My welcome also Tommy. What part of the country are you from and where have you been? Your post was great. It is so nice to read a post like yours that will be a help to Brian as well as anyone else with similar problems. And we all learned something today. Thanks again and welcome aboard!

And Marc, the days of the flaming are over. As you are aware, the last flame only lasted a couple of hours before it disappeared.
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

belfert

Re: Found my oil leak - now how to fix? -
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2006, 04:57:01 AM »
Ok,I'm new to this board.I signed on so I could help with your oil leak. More than likely it is the o-ring between the oil cooler/filter base and the block. Over time the heat will harden the o-rings.Drain water/antifreeze,remove water hoses/pipe from oil cooler to water pump(now would be a good time to replace the 2 short hoses and the 2 smaller ones from the water pump to the thermostat housing)you will have to loosen/remove all 4 clamps. unhook all heater hoses,turbo oil supply line,etc from oil cooler.remove oil filters. there are 4 bolts(15mm socket size) that hold the oil cooler/filter base to the block 2 behind the filters 1 at the rear(in your case the front being a bus) and 1 at the top,remove bolts and pull oil cooler/filter base from block. there are 3 o-rings 1 water(large) and 2 oil(small) clean oil cooler and block replace all orings and reassemble ( put a little bit of grease on oil o-rings to hold them in place,lubricate water o-ring and hoses with antifreeze) cost of o-rings and hoses should be around 40$ to 60$ This is a pretty easy job. Hope this helps. p/s DO NOT USE THE BOLTS TO PULL THE OIL COOLER UP TO THE BLOCK!!!!$$$$$$  TommyT   

Thanks much.  After your description, I would do it myself, but unfortunately I just hired a guy last night to do it for $400 if I get the parts.  The five O-rings and paper gasket cost a total of $20.01 at the local Detroit dealer.

Brian Elfert

Burgermeister

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2006, 06:28:05 AM »
Deleted and sent to moderators for review

Dallas

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2006, 07:35:23 AM »
So what is the recommended solution? Suggestions?

Mine would be to ban a poster when three posts have had to be removed from the board for inappropriate content (as determined by a consensus of the moderators). Anybody else got any suggestions?
Richard

Richard,

Even an hour's residence time on the BB is enough to dissuade the newby and others.

Moderators are great but nothing works better than the realization that the majority of the BB is behind and supports the task performed by the moderators.

Bullies and inconsiderate people will always look for the [apparent] weak and submissive victim.  "Kissing the boo boo" made by the bully helps the victim but does little to deter the perp!

Semper Vigilatus! etc.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Ace

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2006, 11:18:34 AM »
Deleted and forwarded to moderators for review.
Richard

Burgermeister

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2006, 12:55:30 PM »
Deleted and sent to moderators for review

Dallas

Ace

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2006, 01:41:09 PM »
Message deleted and forwarded to moderator for review.

You guys take your disagreements to your email or IM. This board is not the place for it.
Richard

Dallas

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2006, 03:53:11 PM »
Much more of this and I will lock this topic until further notice.

belfert

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2006, 03:57:32 PM »
What the heck is going on here?  I started this thread to ask about fixing my oil leak.

This thread seems to have denigrated into some sort of pissing match between a few posters.  Maybe some posts got yanked before I saw them, but I didn't see anything that should have started this.

My vote would be to lock this thread and I'll start a new one if I still need any help.  I'm going to leave for the Detroit dealer in a few minutes to pick up the parts to fix my oil leak.

Brian Elfert

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal