Author Topic: Totally, TOTALLY frustrated - Air compressor issue.  (Read 26870 times)

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
Totally, TOTALLY frustrated - Air compressor issue.
« on: September 04, 2011, 04:42:05 PM »
OK guys, who is our resident authority on air compressors on Detroit's?? (700 something I think it is.)
PLEEEEASE lend me your ear...
As many of you know, I have had some issues with REI over a rebuilt compressor they sold me. (BAAAAD deal) Well, I FINALLY got them to send a replacement after many months only to put it on yesterday - and I believe this one is worse. Now, I know there is a possibility it could be me but, I can not imagine what it is that I could have done wrong. It was just a straight over swap.
I put it on yesterday and finally fired it up today. (dead battery) It took 14 minutes to get it to air up to where the buzzer went off. (95+ lbs. or so) It was probably 12-13 minutes to get to 90psi. It REALLY got slow airing up as it got up into the higher pressures.
My "original" compressor, that Dallas diagnosed and said I should look at replacing, was waaaaay better than this one and the first one I got from them was even better than this one! Now, I must say, I did air it up at a regular idle, not a fast idle as something is wrong with that feature. Do you think they could/would have screwed me again? I must admit, I read the guy (JR) his pedigree when the credit card company got the three of us together on a conference call. I tried to hold back but when he tried to make it out as "MY FAULT" for not calling them a FIFTH time well, I couldn't hold back. If this one would have worked, I would have probably even called him back and apologized. I still may if I find that I did something wrong but the reason I tore into him was for lack of integrity in customer service (calling back) not the workmanship as I am totally aware that things do happen. Anyway................
There is also a hollow whistle sort of noise coming from it and if I put my hand over the inlet pipe, it will suck it in but just barely.
So........ what can I do?? ?? ?? I'm at wits end with this whole deal. And trying to type all this out is driving me crazy!!  >:( >:(
I appreciate anything any of you can tell me but, if one of you thinks you can help diagnose this over the phone, I will be more than willing to give you a call and let you hear the noise it makes or even talk me thru whatever could be the problem.
Thanx in advance. Sorry I am ranting.
Chaz
Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
Re: Totally, TOTALLY frustrated - Air compressor issue.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 05:34:38 PM »
dumb ? there wasn't a shipping plug in intake you forgot to take out? I do stuff like that all the time  Bob     or a piece of packing material?
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline demodriver

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 05:42:31 PM »
Ive heard of a over pressure safety valve going bad and causing symptoms similiar to this.  I have no idea if that is what your problem is.

Good luck
Eric

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 05:45:45 PM »
Chaz is from Batesville  is that close to you  Eric?  Might need some hands on help.
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline zubzub

• '53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.
    • pics of my bus etc....
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 06:05:40 PM »
all I can say is you need to understand how to set the governor or the compressor will not charge properly....did you set it by the book?

Offline demodriver

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 06:30:25 PM »
Bob,  Batesville is about 2 hours away but I will be in his neighborhood in two weekends for a race in Rushville.

A budy of mine also suggested looking at the governor.  Did it come with paperwork on how to set it? 

Offline papatony

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 07:38:15 PM »
what about the govener mouted on the air compressor?  just a thought.

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 10:00:36 PM »
Chaz try holding the peddle at 1800 to 2200 to build air without the fast ideal working. Try cleaning the contacts on the switch.
Make sure your Governor is set between 112 and 118 cut out PSI

Dave
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 07:30:29 AM »
Chaz try holding the peddle at 1800 to 2200 to build air without the fast ideal working. Try cleaning the contacts on the switch.
Make sure your Governor is set between 112 and 118 cut out PSI

I don't have any electrical stuff on my compressor.

A budy of mine also suggested looking at the governor.  Did it come with paperwork on how to set it? 

It did not have any paperwork - either time - with it for setting anything up. Heck, I'm not even sure what the governor is! I'm thinking it is on the right side and has a valve stem on it. (??) But it doesn't seem to have any sort of way to "set it". Is this it?

This is the first thing out of the air compressor.

Could it have something to do with it??

I'm lost........

Chaz
Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 07:37:29 AM »
Yes Chaz that is your governor. On the lower end it will have a plastic cap screwed on to an adjustment bolt.

Call me I'll do some esplaining.  731-986-fifty nine 99
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 08:36:53 AM »
Thanx for the phone call BK. But sadly, taking the hose off the exhaust side didn't really solve/discover much. As a matter of fact, I took the "L" off at the double male coupler on the compressor and put my thumb on it and could hold back the air for a couple seconds. It seemed to be able to build pressure but not cfm's. Very little air was coming out. Could/does the governor regulate that?? Could IT be bad and have something to do with that??
It still has that hollow whistle sound as well.
 >:( Back to square one!!!!  >:(  The "REAL" square one - begging for help.  :'(
Time for lunch and pondering.

Offline zubzub

• '53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.
    • pics of my bus etc....
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 08:53:38 AM »
google it/check your owners manual...untill you know your governor is good you can't really know if your compressor is good.  basically without the right (air) signal from the governor the compressor will not pump air...ie if the cut out is set low (say 40 psi) you will not get more than 40 psi...also the the cut in could be set wrong.  On my bus I can tell when my comp is pumping or not by the sound of the pump, it is more rackety when it is not loaded.  Some call the governor the loader/unloader 'cause that's what it does.

Offline azdieselman

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 09:04:45 AM »
You may have a problem with your discharge line. They are normally copper tubing or braided stainless hose. The heat from the compressor discharge will melt and harden the rubber inside the line creating a restriction. Remove your hose and see if it is still flexible, you can buy the correct style of hose at any truck dealer, they come in many different lengths.
1980 Mod 10

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 09:10:16 AM »
Quote from: azdieselman
You may have a problem with your discharge line. They are normally copper tubing or braided stainless hose. The heat from the compressor discharge will melt and harden the rubber inside the line creating a restriction. Remove your hose and see if it is still flexible, you can buy the correct style of hose at any truck dealer, they come in many different lengths.

azdieselman welcome and think you for the idea. But that is exactly what we just discussed on the phone and he took that hose off and the compressor itself is not putting out good pressure to that hose.  (and yes we discussed that it should be replaced with the proper hose soon too!)
;D  BK  ;D
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 09:12:17 AM »
Chaz,
I will call you back in a bit, you are right about time for lunch I have mine on the griddle now!
;D  BK  ;D
www.kylakesidetravel.net

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal