Author Topic: 6V92T Block Heater Fuax Paw  (Read 2797 times)

Offline NJT5047

6V92T Block Heater Fuax Paw
« on: October 09, 2006, 07:38:23 PM »
In the unlikely event anyone wonders what sort of block heater style to buy for a 6V92TA...be forwarned that there seems to be only one that actually fits.  There are a lot of erroneous listings regarding fitment.  The one that fits would be the four bolt plate with the element permanently installed in the plate.    I looked at one that Bill Haga had this weekend.  Thought about the difference in what he had and what I had.....Bill was selling...I called him and bought the correct unit that he had.   I kept wondering why so much engineering on a small item...the element has to be welded in place to assure proper placement between the block and cylinder. It could not be "turned" into the block.  Has about a 1/2" offset.
Made a huge mess today.  Got this brain-fart that I could install a block heater in the angled 1" adaptor on the curb-side head.  Nope.  Didn't want to drain the engine either.  Well...it's drained now.  20% on floor and me, the rest was caught. 
Problem is that you cannot install a 4" straight block heater in that location.  I've proven that.  there's some casting that interferes with the element.  Instructions stated that's where it was intended to go...or into a 1" hole in the oil cooler.  My NJT does not have a fitting in the oil cooler. 
SOOOO....the bus is in the shop with no water in the engine...I had new antifreeze from last year, quite a lot of which will again be replaced. 
This is a new unit that came from NAPA and the instructions state that it will fit a 6V92T....it won't.
Had the thing fit, this would have been too easy.  Now it looks like the dipstick must be removed to gain access to the rearmost lower bolt.   I shoulda done this while the engine was out of the bus last year...DuH!
Did have some success today..we've never used the LP heater which has been installed for 3 years now.  Never even been fired.   Turned it on and viola..it works great. 
Onward and upward! 
Cheers, JR
BTW, I got a nice block heater for sale that fits a 6V92T.  Cheap.  ;)

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline Buffalo SpaceShip

Re: 6V92T Block Heater Fuax Paw
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 09:26:42 PM »
Ouch, JR. We feel your pain!  :'(

Hang tough!
Brian B.
Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO

Offline Kristinsgrandpa

• 1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 04:14:33 PM »
My 6V92 TA has a block heater that screwed into a 1" pipe thread opening in the block.

I bought the heater for $12.00 on ebay, works great.

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 07:26:48 PM »
Thanks Brian, I'm hanging tough.  Got more perserverance than brains at times.
Ed, may I ask where that 1" plug on your engine is located?   I've already bought the recommended block heater that mounts into the area presently occupied by a blank plate anchored by 4 bolts.... right behind the street side harmonic balancer.   I looked all over for another plug...and I believe I've seen the plate that I refer to drilled and a pipe plug installed.   Don't see any other 1" plugs other than the oil pan.  Read where that isn't the best way to preheat a 2 stroke.   
This is an NJT DDEC engine and it is a little different in some of the finer points!   
Thanks, JR
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal