Author Topic: How long should a Air Bag keep on a shelf?  (Read 3602 times)

Offline Brian Diehl

• www.brihil.com
How long should a Air Bag keep on a shelf?
« on: October 11, 2006, 10:52:19 AM »
I recently got two used air bags from Caylor Supply and discovered I only needed 1 air bag replaced.  I'm trying to decide if I should hang on to the spare bag. 

So, the question is, how long should the airbag stay good if it is stored in my garage? 

Offline Buffalo SpaceShip

Re: How long should a Air Bag keep on a shelf?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 11:02:15 AM »
Here in the dry climate of Colorado, I'd imagine an unsealed rubber part would begin to deteriorate fairly quickly. But in MN, seems like it's humid all of the time.  :D

It's nice to have the spare, but I'd wrap it up in plastic and maybe coat it periodically with a rubber protectant. Should last indefinately that way, I'd think.

Brian B.
Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 11:12:25 AM »
Keep it out of the sunlight & away from ozone (electric motors & etc). If mine, I'd wrap it up to seal it from air.

Since it is used, it won't keep as long as a new one, so you might consider selling it so a fellow busnut could save a few bucks & get back on the road.
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 11:16:24 AM »
I have some new/old stock bags that I "acquired" from a charter company's leftovers through a friend. I think they're dated late 90's and are in great condition. No sign of deterioration.

I'm not sure what they fit. One, I think is a tag bag for MC9 and similar. I think the others are possibly off 102 model.
When I get some time, I'm going to track down the part numbers.

What'd you have to pay for yours?  Which bag are they?

I figure these are probably worth half what a new one would cost, which puts them above the limits on the flea market posting here, so I'll probably put them on ebay since I don't need them.

BTW, I have one of those vacuum food thingys if you want to seal it in plastic  ::)
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline Brian Diehl

• www.brihil.com
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 01:35:38 PM »
The bag is a tag axle bag and I paid $60 for it.  It is in fairly good condition with only a few signs of its prior usage.

Offline muddog16

• Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop
    • Prevost LeMirage Conversion
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 04:38:19 PM »
I was looking at my air bags while i was changing my wheel bearing and seals! They are probably 20 years old maybe orginal, anyway while i was working on the right front wheel i was looking at the brake chamber its a type 24, i thought what the heck i'm gonna take a look and see how bad the diaphram is.  It came right apart, it was a little rusty and the diaphram looked old with a few cracks that were not deep, i took some solvent and cleaned it up thinking that this would dissolve the diaphram but it didn't I actually think this thing would go another 4 or 5 years if needed be, but i'll probably change it also afterall, its apart and it is a critical part!  I bet those air bags would last a long time in a vacuum sealed bag!

Pat
Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/

Offline Brian Diehl

• www.brihil.com
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 06:06:50 PM »
Alright, it is starting to sound like I could go ahead and keep it as a spare.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal