Author Topic: [Off Topic] Terrible gas mileage  (Read 10212 times)

Offline Mex-Busnut

Re: [Off Topic] Terrible gas mileage
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 07:51:55 PM »
Dear Friends,

Thanks to all for your comments.

Yes, I have been noticing that all the gas pumps say something to the effect of "10-20% ethanol".

Tonight we made it to St. Clair, Missouri. Tomorrow we plan to get to St. Louis, visit the Sams for daughter's Ipad, and then head on in the direction of Chicago (My gramma from Zion, Illinois, used to say: "Chicken in the car, and the car won't go. That is the way to get to Chicago.")

And it is quite chili up here, after the five days at 106 degrees and above that we survived in South Texas.
Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.

Offline Chopper Scott

• MCI 7
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 08:05:21 PM »
I live where corn is king and that's what the majority of ethanol is derived from and the success of my business is based on those producing corn. Granted it does seem to lessen one's fuel mileage and I won't get into a debate over it's good and bad points but it seems folks would once again rather choose something not made here in America because it's cheaper imported. Alcohol is a lot cheaper from Brazil except for the taxes imposed on it by our government when importing it. I guess sending our money to Brazil would be a wiser choice?  Better yet to the Mid East for more crude oil. If it wasn't for farmers or weapon's makers we wouldn't have any exports here in the US! So while it may cost you a few bucks a month more for ethanol just don't forget where it comes from. Made in America. Nascar went to ethanol without a hitch this year. I just get tired of all the unfounded bs that folks like to throw around. You have no choice. Get over it.
Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.

Offline Tevo

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 08:13:24 PM »
I live where corn is king and that's what the majority of ethanol is derived from and the success of my business is based on those producing corn. Granted it does seem to lessen one's fuel mileage and I won't get into a debate over it's good and bad points but it seems folks would once again rather choose something not made here in America because it's cheaper imported. Alcohol is a lot cheaper from Brazil except for the taxes imposed on it by our government when importing it. I guess sending our money to Brazil would be a wiser choice?  Better yet to the Mid East for more crude oil. If it wasn't for farmers or weapon's makers we wouldn't have any exports here in the US! So while it may cost you a few bucks a month more for ethanol just don't forget where it comes from. Made in America. Nascar went to ethanol without a hitch this year. I just get tired of all the unfounded bs that folks like to throw around. You have no choice. Get over it.

I don't know the truth of any of the claims regarding the mechanical issues with ethanol. My problem is that it is artificially inflating the price of corn, and has caused a spike in food prices for corn based products (which is a shockingly high percentage of products). This is bad for Americans, especially those struggling to get by in a tough economy.
1962 GM PD-4106

Offline Chopper Scott

• MCI 7
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2011, 08:22:13 PM »
The byproduct of the corn used in the manufacturing of ethanol is fed to livestock as it was originally intended to in the first place. It just doesn't magically disappear and in fact is now a more efficient feed after the process. It's called distillers grain. The reason grain prices have risen has more to do with floods, drought, worldwide demand and speculators unless you are reading propaganda from oil producers.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 08:24:15 PM »
Quote from: Tevo
My problem is that it is artificially inflating the price of corn, and has caused a spike in food prices for corn based products (which is a shockingly high percentage of products). This is bad for Americans, especially those struggling to get by in a tough economy.

Ain't no problem by the cheap imported corn from Korea ! It comes in tiny ears and is cheap too! I used to haul truckloads of it from the docks on the west coast to the mid-west all the time!
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

artvonne

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2011, 08:39:41 PM »
You have no choice. Get over it.

I do have a choice, I choose to buy non ethanol fuel as much as possible, and keep buying more diesels. I can also choose to vote for people that could put an end to the idiocy of FedGovCo subsidizing everything.

artvonne

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2011, 08:50:54 PM »
The byproduct of the corn used in the manufacturing of ethanol is fed to livestock as it was originally intended to in the first place. It just doesn't magically disappear and in fact is now a more efficient feed after the process. It's called distillers grain. The reason grain prices have risen has more to do with floods, drought, worldwide demand and speculators unless you are reading propaganda from oil producers.

Or the propoganda from the corn growers getting fat on Federal subsistence?? Looks like there is plenty of unfounded bs to go around. Supply and demand are what controls commodity prices. Talk to hunters who cant hunt on low lying farm lands they hunted for years, because Joe Farmer planted it with Corn because the price is so high its now worthwhile planting in scrub land. But what really burns my hide is how any rational human being could pour that crap in their car while watching people starve to death. But like some say, they need the money......

All we gotta do is drive 10% less and we wouldnt need any foriegn oil.

Offline Tevo

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2011, 08:57:15 PM »

It's not just oil producers seeing the problem, it's experts from a variety of fields that see that ethanol are materially contributing to rising food prices. Is it the only factor? No, of course not. But unless you are reading the propaganda from corn producers, it's widely recognized as a major contributing factor.  ;)
1962 GM PD-4106

Offline Chopper Scott

• MCI 7
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2011, 09:07:19 PM »
You have no choice. Get over it.

I do have a choice, I choose to buy non ethanol fuel as much as possible, and keep buying more diesels. I can also choose to vote for people that could put an end to the idiocy of FedGovCo subsidizing everything.

And you think that some farmer is getting free money from the government for growing corn through subsidies? You really don't realize it do you? Back when corn was selling for under $2 a bushel industries found ways to utilize it into various processes such as plastics, sweeteners and ethanol amongst a lot of other products. Now that demand is up for all these products and prices are higher you choose to point at ethanol as the driving force behind the price increase. So now you think the farmer is reaping all the profits. You have no idea how much his inputs costs have risen. I could argue with you on and on but basically you are not very well informed and I will leave it at that and you can  choose to read whatever propaganda fits your style. I just find it hard to imagine folks throwing darts at one of our nation's last exporting capable business's but then again it doesn't surprise me. But the state of Nebraska has a 4% unemployment rate and a balanced budget. Guess what? It's been that forever regardless of ethanol........If it's such a great deal maybe you should check into being a farmer!!!

Offline Chopper Scott

• MCI 7
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2011, 09:20:03 PM »
But what really burns my hide is how any rational human being could pour that crap in their car while watching people starve to death. But like some say, they need the money......

All we gotta do is drive 10% less and we wouldnt need any foriegn oil.

Actually what burns my hide is how any rational human can buy whatever food he wants and then turn around and bitch about those that provide it for him while he's throwing his scraps away. Send your money to the Mid East for energy, buy your food from Mexico and enjoy.

Offline niles500

• Niles500
  • ROSIE
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2011, 02:28:49 AM »
In 2008 I went through Nebraska (sorry about your luck sooners  ;D) You could buy E85 for less than $2 a gallon - In Florida it was over $4 - In Tennessee It's called Hooch @ $5 a quart  ;D In Iowa they were growing corn in the medians and rights-of-way - If you got run off the road in Iowa you were considered a "cereal" killer  ;D
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal