Author Topic: in line fuel pump  (Read 9025 times)

Offline desi arnaz

in line fuel pump
« on: September 15, 2011, 04:19:12 PM »
dose anyone have an extra in line fuel pump they would want to part with?at a reasonable price. it only needs to be big enough for a diesel generator a few gallons per hour i would guess.not sure if i need a special one for diesel? my problem seems to be i am not getting enough pressure  to my Genny and after 30 min  she starts to sputter and slow down then she goes back to normal then sputters again. i have had different people tell me different things. some say  the bulb pump is at fault  others say it is a overheat problem but the engine is only 144 degrees and the intake is 89 degrees the exuast is about 245 when this happens but if i squeeze the bulb it goes back to normal.
thomas f  Bethlehem n.h

Offline dougyes

Re: in line fuel pump
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 06:47:10 PM »
They are available at Advance Auto cheap.

Offline demodriver

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 07:28:02 PM »
Is your fuel tank vent working good?   fwiw I used one for "gas only" on my last cummins truck for about 4 years with no problems.

Offline belfert

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 07:55:31 PM »
One would think if it runs for 30 minutes that the fuel pump might not be the issue.  If it is a fuel pump issue I would think it better to fix the fuel pump that is there now than just applying a bandaid with a second pump.

Those that add secondary pumps to their main engines only do so to prime in case of emergencies.  They are not intended to run full time.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline desi arnaz

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 12:03:26 AM »
They are available at Advance Auto cheap.
$60 bucks at advance....the vents are fine,and the problem might be that I have 4 feet of fuel line from the tank and the pump just can't Handel it?
In case the in line was not the problem I didn't want to shell out $60 for a pump I didn't need.
thomas f  Bethlehem n.h

Offline demodriver

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 05:04:53 AM »
You wont find a inline pump much cheaper. It shouldnt matter how many ft of line there is. Once its primed it should work as a syphon for the most part.

You can get all the parts to put a cheap fuel pressure guage on it at the parts store.

What type of engine is on the generator? Does it have a pump that is rebuildable?  On a perkins engine of mine I have to take the pump apart and clean it every couple years. It has a built in screen to help filter the fuel.

Offline desi arnaz

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 06:19:31 AM »
 11 hp Chinese brand with 4 hours on her.Ramsond Elite 6500 uses a true 186FA (E), 11 HP, 418 cc engine.
thomas f  Bethlehem n.h

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 06:20:26 AM »
I had to replace the pump on my genset (gas Onan) with one of those like Advance/NAPA/etc. sells. They are rated for 100% duty cycle. I even added a momentary switch so I can prime the long hose. It saves me a lot of cranking if the line gets air in it. I paid ~$45 for it several years ago. Glad to pay that and have it work because a replacement OEM Onan part was going to cost me a couple of bills.
L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 06:46:39 AM »
What do have the return line hooked into ?
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline desi arnaz

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 07:36:46 AM »
There is no return...that I know of.
thomas f  Bethlehem n.h

Offline TomC

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 07:59:18 AM »
Having no return line maybe the problem right there.  I haven't ever seen a Diesel engine without a return line.  Diesel engines generally run alot more Diesel fuel through their lines to both lubricate and cool the injection pump.  Without the return line, I could understand how the engine might not run correctly.  Try opening up the genset and look at the injection pump.  You'll probably see another line coming off of it with some kind of cover on it blocking it off.  I would try opening that up and try running the generator with the newly opened return line with a hose coming to a fuel tank for the time being-to see if that cures the problem. Then you can plumb it back to your fuel tank the proper way later.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline gus

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 03:16:30 PM »
I'm pretty sure that all diesels have return lines. As posted, that is probably your problem.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline desi arnaz

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 03:40:20 PM »
all i have done is remove the fuel line from the tank and attached a fuel line to a outboard motor tank, if  there was a return to the tank,would i then have a bloody mess of diesel oil all over the engine compartment? i have no messes now.
thomas f  Bethlehem n.h

Offline TomC

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 03:59:49 PM »
It sounds like someone blocked off the return line.  You need to look at the injection pump (what kind of engine is it?) and find the return line.  On my Kubota, the return line comes off of the last fuel injector at the top of the head-maybe there.  Can you take a picture of the engine?  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline desi arnaz

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 06:31:28 PM »
186FA (E), 11 HP, 418 cc engine.
thomas f  Bethlehem n.h

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal