Author Topic: Personal apologize.  (Read 9222 times)

Offline 5B Steve

Personal apologize.
« on: September 16, 2011, 07:17:10 AM »

I just want everyone to know that my computer was compromised and sent emails to everyone on my contact

list some very disturbing web sites, you know the ones I'm talking about.  The problem is fixed, and I apologize

if you have received one of these.

Steve 5B.....

Offline wal1809

Re: Personal apologize.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 07:28:01 AM »
Oh that was an accident!!  I thought it was a gift ;D
1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 07:42:46 AM »
No worries.

For those who have not had to endure one of these compromising attacks, be sure to hug your virus and malware protection software.

All of you are using protection while online, right?

I proudly pay for the full subscription to AVG's Internet Security and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

Kept this household of 5 avid surfers out of trouble for some many years now.

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline Lee Bradley

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 10:38:07 AM »
No worries.

For those who have not had to endure one of these compromising attacks, be sure to hug your virus and malware protection software.

All of you are using protection while online, right?

I proudly pay for the full subscription to AVG's Internet Security and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

Kept this household of 5 avid surfers out of trouble for some many years now.

happy coaching!

Same products I bought on the advise of the PC repair people that cleaned my PC after I had used some other brands.  No problems since.
buswarrior

Offline technomadia

• Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446
    • Technomadia
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 10:50:32 AM »

Or hug your Macintosh, and be thankful that you aren't cursed with needing to slow your computer down with security software that often causes more problems than it prevents.

- Chris

PS: If you are still using Windows XP, you might as well give up and sign your computer over to the Russian Mafia.  Nothing you can do will keep you safe.  Windows 7 on the other hand is really solid.
Cherie and Chris / Bus tour: www.technomadia.com/zephyr
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 12:09:35 PM »
 We have had our Mac for almost 2 months now and love it! Hadn't thought about giving it a hug though.... ;D
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Offline RnMAdventures

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 04:11:37 PM »
I'm not on your contact list, but I had the very same thing happen a while back. The sites weren't too embarassing, but I was very suprized that they hacked my password on yahoo. It happens to all of us from time to time. (and having a Mac will not save your yahoo account).  ;)
Mike & Rosemarie
1964 PD4106-2626
DD8v71 & Allison v730

Offline boxcarOkie

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 04:48:16 PM »
I'm not on your contact list, but I had the very same thing happen a while back. The sites weren't too embarassing, but I was very suprized that they hacked my password on yahoo. It happens to all of us from time to time. (and having a Mac will not save your yahoo account).  ;)

My compac, my gateway, all that Microsoft trash has been hacked over and over again and again.  My Mac however, has never had a problem.  Say what you want, but the Mac is much better hands down.  All of these so-called "social networking sites" are usually a host to those among us who want to show us how smart they are, by disrupting our lives.

BCO

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 05:04:39 PM »
I use a Mac for all the important stuff and have always felt it was money well spent. No problems hardware or software. I also have a PC that mostly the kids use unless the imac or mac laptop is taken then I get stuck with the PC. That is the only time I have to clean up software to fight registry rot and all of the other high maintenance problems that come with a PC. With that being said I feel there will be a day when the Mac platform will be attacked. I am enjoying the calm before the storm I guess.
L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

Offline belfert

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 05:22:55 PM »
I'm still using Windows XP and my computer is clean.  I did get one of those fake antivirus programs about a year ago, but I was able to remove it myself without an antispyware program.  I simply would prefer to spend the $500 to $750 for a new Windows 7 capable PC on other things.  (Yes, you can get new PCs for less, but I am picky about my PCs.)  My current PC is plenty fast for what I do even though I bought it at the end of 2005.

My employer is still running Windows XP and most of the problems we see are with laptops leaving the building.  They tend to get infected often.  Our Windows 7 upgrade keeps getting delayed by other projects.  Our PCs are also from 2008 and Dell has no Windows 7 drivers so the test PCs upgraded to Windows 7 blue screen from time to time.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 05:43:54 PM »
We have a Mac, so I feel a bit left out.  I assume the websites you mention were about literary criticism,  and I can therefore understand your embarrassment.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 05:55:04 PM »
Dale Houston and Dreamscape put me on to Mircosoft Security Essentials for XP and 7 works good and is FREE,Dale is trying to get me to install MSE on the Mac because they are getting so popular I haven't done that yet don't want to chance anything screwing up the MAC lol it works all the time   

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline boxcarOkie

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 06:04:15 PM »
Dale Houston and Dreamscape put me on to Mircosoft Security Essentials for XP and 7 works good and is FREE,Dale is trying to get me to install MSE on the Mac because they are getting so popular I haven't done that yet don't want to chance anything screwing up the MAC lol it works all the time   

good luck

The Mac has a utility feature in the applications folder that you can run from time to time to tell you the status of the machine, pretty neat feature.  I run it about every other week, and it has from time to time found irregularities and corrected them under repair disk.

BCO

Offline RnMAdventures

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 06:22:00 PM »
I havent had many issues with Windows of nay version. If you leave the draw bridge down, even a castle will be destroyed. We use the NT4 platform to run our Ross stations and it is rock solid (and has for many years). If your email is scanned on the server side before it lands on your PC it is much better. My personal preference is Linux, but I haven't used it in years.

Mike & Rosemarie
1964 PD4106-2626
DD8v71 & Allison v730

Offline desi arnaz

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 06:22:12 PM »
the other day i got a dirty e mail from the president of our temple.......... boy was he embarrassed.
thomas f  Bethlehem n.h

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal