Author Topic: Satellite TV  (Read 6270 times)

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
Satellite TV
« on: October 10, 2006, 05:51:55 PM »
 I've had a lot of difficulty over the years with satellitte tv, the worst one was an intemittent problem with a LNB, that one irritated me for  a year. But I think I have stumbled onto something. My system works fine on my Trace DR3624 inverter (modified sinewave). This time befor a trip I UNPLUGGED the reciever. I arrived in GA plugged it back in and no problems!! Has anybody elese tried this?

So in retribution for solving a problem, the bus gremlins broke my speedometer.
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
Re: Satellite TV
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 06:18:35 PM »
Hi Jim,

I havn't expierenced that yet. My Direct TV reciever is 110v and that is the root of all my start up trouble.

I have to purchace a 12v reciever because, the 110v one is super sensitive to the milli second that occures

when I switch from landline to inverter power. It then reverts to another acqusition....bummer.....annoying....agrevating....

Funny how no other appliance is affected by the switch!  Oh well...

Good Luck with your trouble.
Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline Ross

• www.newindsports.com
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 06:34:43 PM »
My Dish reciever has no problem with the switch with the new RS3000 inverter, but I do find that if I don't unplug it and do a cold boot when I arrive at a new location, the channel guide is all mixed up.  This happens if I travel from one spot beam to another.   Because the inverter switches on as shore power is disconnected, the sat reciever never shuts down so I unplug it and plug it back in after I point the dish.

Ross

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 06:41:21 PM »
Ross,

What model reciever do you sport?

I have that stupid D-10 in the bus.....

Nick-
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.

Offline Ross

• www.newindsports.com
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 06:51:55 PM »
The tag on the back says Model: 2700.   It's an old one that I picked up during an Elkhart salvage run 4 years ago.  One problem I do have is that I can't order PPV.  I get a message that says I need a phone line connected.  The receiver I had in the house would do PPV without a phone line.  I'm guessing that this is an older model and the firmware is requiring a phone line.

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 06:52:57 PM »
Everyday I learn something new. I've had satellite since it came out. I've had dish network, I've had direct tv. since having hthe bus, I've been through 4 receivers. In and out of satellite service stores. I've been on the phone inumerable times with tech support. I've read every post on this board about satellite. And I've never heard of a 12 volt receiver.!!!!
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

Dallas

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 07:11:20 PM »
Hi Jim,

I havn't expierenced that yet. My Direct TV reciever is 110v and that is the root of all my start up trouble.

I have to purchace a 12v reciever because, the 110v one is super sensitive to the milli second that occures

when I switch from landline to inverter power. It then reverts to another acqusition....bummer.....annoying....agrevating....

Nick-

Hey Nick, try putting it on a small el-cheapo UPS, that way it will always be running off an inverter and battery setup.

Darned if I know if it will work or not, but it's a thought.

Dallas

Ace

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 07:15:06 PM »
Nick I also have the D10 receiver and from start to finish it has worked very good. I don't have any problems with the way it works WHEN it works (my fault) and it might be due to me having IT and the Dish on thier own seperate circuit as in UN-SHARED! They tell me when you have it or them couple with something else you will get what your describing!

Also, is your inverter fused? I put a 300 amp fuse that is as close to the + post as possible for safety and my DC wires are NOT run close to my AC wires. I have been told about some bleed over if they are! lso my DC wires to my 12v distribution panel have thier own circuit breaker at the inverter connections!

Ace... with a working, self searching satellite!  HOORAY!

• Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 07:26:19 PM »
Great advice guy's, Thanks!

ACE, Ross and I have the same RS 3000 networked by Xantrax. And with a 400amp Fuse about a foot away from the post.

And yes, There is a 12v reciever put out by KVH for the A-6 SUV System.  Thats what I'll end up buying, I'm sure.

Nick-

Offline TomCat

• It's 4:20 somewhere...
    • Jay's Conversion Pics
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 07:40:20 PM »
The tag on the back says Model: 2700.   It's an old one that I picked up during an Elkhart salvage run 4 years ago.  One problem I do have is that I can't order PPV.  I get a message that says I need a phone line connected.  The receiver I had in the house would do PPV without a phone line.  I'm guessing that this is an older model and the firmware is requiring a phone line.

Ross,

Since you obviously have internet access, if you want to order PPV on DirecTV, just do it from the DTV website.

Jay
87 SaftLiner
On The High Plains of Colorado

Offline Beatenbo

• 1993 MCI 102 C3 Cat Power
    • The Beatenbos
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 08:03:00 PM »
I have had satelite on my bus about 10 years. Had several crankups and even a tri-pod before my in motion i have an RCA 110 v in front and one of the newer directv in rear bebroom. No body on this board probally switches between shoreline, inverter, or gen than I do. All my switching is manual. I have to wait about 60 sec for acqusition (thats close with out spell check) I never have any problem with directv except that 75 dollar bill they send me each month.

• Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 08:25:09 PM »
Charlie,

$75.00, Is that all?   Jeeze, I have 7 recievers.... and well over $100.00 a month. Drat.....

Nick-

Offline DavidInWilmNC

• 1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2006, 08:39:01 PM »
Hi Jim,

Nick-

Hey Nick, try putting it on a small el-cheapo UPS, that way it will always be running off an inverter and battery setup.

Darned if I know if it will work or not, but it's a thought.

Dallas

Dallas, that's exactly what I'd suggest.  I've done it before on a VCR, too (when we used such things for recording!). 

David

Offline Ross

• www.newindsports.com
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2006, 06:17:47 PM »

Ross,

Since you obviously have internet access, if you want to order PPV on DirecTV, just do it from the DTV website.

Jay
87 SaftLiner

I have Dish Network, but I'll bet I can do the same thing with them. 

Ross

Offline brojcol

• Jimmy
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2006, 06:22:34 PM »
Uh...what's a VCR?
"Ask yourself this question...Are you funky enough to be a globetrotter?  Well are you???  ARE YOU?!?!

deal with it."            Professor Bubblegum Tate

Offline white-eagle

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2006, 07:05:15 PM »
over a $100 per month :o !!!!  what a waste of bucks.  i could pay for my new heat system, or my cruise control, or my satellite Internet service with that much money.  i could even go further with the diesel for pete's sake.
Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal