Author Topic: Bringing the bus home but where to stay???  (Read 15527 times)

Offline Dave Siegel

• Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!
    • Dave Siegel Designs
Bringing the bus home but where to stay???
« on: September 23, 2011, 04:37:49 AM »
Our bus will be ready to bring home from North Carolina soon (it's at Gene's having Power Steering installed). My plans are to fly up and drive it up alone, I suppose I could stop at a motel on the way home but is there a reference guide that would help me find RV sites that are on my route home? I'd really rather sleep in my own bed in my own coach.

Dave Siegel
Dave & Jan Siegel    1948 GMC  "Silversides"
            Pinellas Park, Florida
   Dave is Host to the "Help Assist Pages"
  (Free roadside help for Bus Conversions)
         www.help-assist-list.com

Offline saddleup

Re: Bringing the bus home but where to stay???
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 04:46:59 AM »
Try www.rvparkreviews.com
Goodluck Matt
Yuma,Az

1974 Eagle 05 On the road, to Somewhere

Offline tomhamrick

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 04:57:00 AM »
Hi Dave,
Gene will tell you he always stops at truck stops. We have stopped at a Flying J and parked in the RV sites and also parked at truck stops and parked with the trucks. Either is OK. Unless you have to have the hookups, that is what I would recommend. Also check out the FMCA stopping spots along the way. They have a list of folks that have parking spots for overnight stops. I am sure if you tell your route on here there are some of us along the way that have a place for you to pull in for a night's rest.
By the way I live 10 miles from Gene and talked to him yesterday and he was telling me about your bus. I know you are going to be happy with the upgrade.
Tom Hamrick
1984 Eagle 10S
Tom Hamrick
1991 Prevost H3-40 VIP
1981 Eagle 10
Forest City, NC

Offline Dave Siegel

• Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!
    • Dave Siegel Designs
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 05:17:29 AM »
Thanks for the overnight stopping tips, and Tom you are making me even more excited. Thanks I can't wait.

Dave
Dave & Jan Siegel    1948 GMC  "Silversides"
            Pinellas Park, Florida
   Dave is Host to the "Help Assist Pages"
  (Free roadside help for Bus Conversions)
         www.help-assist-list.com

Offline belfert

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 05:52:37 AM »
Why not stay overnight at Walmarts?  They are typically a lot quieter than all the trucks idling at a truck stop.  Rest areas are just as bad as truck stops at night.

I'm really starting to hate truckers at rest areas.  If there is not an available spot they just park anywhere.  We stopped at a rest area last month late at night to switch drivers.  We almost couldn't get out of the rest area because a trucker was parked right in the driving lane.  We ended up having to drive up on the sidewalk to get out of there.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline demodriver

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 06:04:11 AM »
Ive stayed at different walmart stores in 3 or 4 different states without any issues. I also like the fact that they have survelliance cameras on most everything.

Offline white-eagle

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 06:44:15 AM »
We've stayed at truck stops, as far out of the way of the trucks as we can.  no one has ever given us a hard time.  We also stay at Walmart, Lowes, home depot, and sometimes eat breakfast at cracker barrel.  All the "sites" are pull - thrus, so no unhitchng each nite.  We usually fill at the truck stops, or buy a few things at the stores to "pay" for our site.  i always need something at a home depot or lowes, and fran can usually find something worthwhile at Walmart. 

i wouldn't stay at campgrounds unless you need the hookups.  takes too much time to get to them because they aren't usually next to the road, too hard to get into the site and get hooked up each nite.

we're gettin ready to leave CO for OH and we have no plans for a campground.  i've got to get to ohio quickly, so we don't have time to play. 

park away from the crowds, sometimes in the back area.  just make sure it's still well lit up and there is some traffic.  We just run the genset a couple hours to keep the water hot and fix meals.
Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.

Offline thejumpsuitman

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 06:59:07 AM »
I agree with the Wal-Mart suggestion.  There are always a handful of other RV's parked for the night so there is some safety in  numbers.  A lot of Wal-Marts even have private security that drives around the parking lot and keeps an eye on things.  Security is aware of the RV friendly policy, so they are no problem...  Also temperatures are very mild now in NC and all points north, so you can get away without running A/C for sure.  Also, if you are just picking the bus up you will probably find plenty of stuff to buy at Wal-Mart in the automotive section.  They carry lots of basic RV stuff.
1992 Wanderlodge PT-40, 1960 PD-4104
Albemarle, NC

Offline technomadia

• Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446
    • Technomadia
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 10:17:34 AM »
Congrats on bringing your bus home.

Here's a post we wrote about finding camping spots, including finding overnight parking:

http://www.technomadia.com/2010/10/how-to-find-rv-parks-campgrounds-and-free-boondocking-updated/

There are a lot of resources out there that track the options.  Not all Wal-Marts/Lowes/Camping Worlds/Cracker Barrels, etc.  allow overnight parking (local ordinances overrule), so it's helpful to know before you route towards one.

Have fun on your adventure home!
 - Cherie
Cherie and Chris / Bus tour: www.technomadia.com/zephyr
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 10:36:57 AM »
About the only WM's that do not allow overnight parking are the leased stores WM owed stores are very open to RV parking at their 24hr store regardless of city code they work that out before they build on a site.

And it is best to ask a manger even with signs posted only problem they have is WM doesn't like you blocking the truck lane their drivers pull in and spend the night in those no overnight parking lots

The WM's with the low clearance bars in front you drive to the back and use the truck entrance park there stay out of the front parking lot they were not design for heavy traffic that is the reason for the bars  .

We always stay at CrackerBarrel in Yuma and Tuscon where it says no overnight parking permitted by city code never a problem and the law patrols the lots    

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline belfert

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 11:29:12 AM »
There are definitely city codes that do not allow parking at some Walmarts.  The 24 hour Walmart Supercenter at the Wisconsin Dells has signs all over the parking lot stating no overnight RV parking.  I pulled in there on the evening of Dec 25th last year and stayed overnight.  I didn't see the signs until morning as it was dark when I pulled in.  I doubt any campground was open at that time of year anyhow.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 11:43:53 AM »
If you ask the manger and he gives the ok not a thing they do about it and the mangers love doing that lol and like I said leased stores are a different animal and 32% of the WM's are leased not owed by WM

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline wal1809

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 12:06:44 PM »
Have fun with your new bus and my vote is Walmart, they have the cheapest rates in the country and they serve breakfast.
1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 12:58:15 PM »
It seems to me that every time you are about to fall asleep in a rest stop, the truck next to you starts up and leaves.  I vote for walmart.
Rick A. Cone
Silverdale, WA
66 Crowny Crown "The Ark"

Offline Gary '79 5C

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 04:45:07 PM »
Dave,

Good luck with your bus repairs. I run from NJ to Cape Coral Fl and mostly stop in rest stops. The state line locations seem to be nicer & cleaner, but all I have seen were very acceptable.
Maybe I am really tired, but I have only once been annoyed with a neighboring reefer.

Fuel in Ga. before entering Fl, has been my experience.

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal