Author Topic: we're headed east on i70  (Read 2982 times)

Offline white-eagle

we're headed east on i70
« on: September 26, 2011, 08:05:06 PM »
We finally finished our summer job.  Don't get me wrong, managing 3 National Forest Service campgrounds was a task, but the view, the campers that came... all good.  We had fun most of the time, and did  i mention the view?  spectacular.
So we went down Berthoud pass ( slow up and slow down) today, and headed out of Denver, stopping just a few miles from the KS border.  We're taking I70 all or most of the way to Ohio, and unfortunately, it won't be a sightseeing trip.  We have to make meetings in Ohio this weekend, got to make money while in Ohio.
however, we did schedule a visit with Redbus in Indiana, and i'd be happy to have a cup of coffee or whatever with any other busnuts on the way.
also, it might be good to know who's close in case of issues.  So far the only problem is the shampoo fell onto the shower handle and pumped all the water down the drain.  Empty fresh, full grey.  :(  morale of that story-don't leave the pump on.
Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.

Offline white-eagle

Re: we're headed east on i70
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 05:04:12 AM »
We arrived back safely and without any major incidents.  That first night, we stayed at a campground so we could empty the grey and fill the fresh water back up.  We made sure we took everything down that might kick the shower on again, but we also decided we shouldn't leave the pump on anyway, just turn it on when needed.
at about 10, i went out to turn the batteries on and start up - wouldn't turn over!  voltage about 12.6.  tried to short the solonoid and got big sparks.  Bottom line, we ran the genset to use the inverter to charge the batteries at 14V for a 1/2 hour, then still wouldn't kick it over, but i tried shorting again with more sparks, but the final button push started right up.
By the way, the nice campground in Siebert, told me to either unplug the electric or pay a day when i explained we would run a little past the 11AM   :o checkout.  i had offered a couple bucks extra at first, but i didn't want to pay a day, so we unplugged and started the genset to charge up.

The rest of the trip we stayed in rest stops and Walmart, $3.55 fill up in MO., then $3.61/gal in OH, 120 gal each time approx.  70 mph ave speed.  Bus ran like a bus should, knock on wood.

Had a nice 4 hour visit with RedBus near Terra Haute.  They are having some really tough family health issues and need any extra prayers any of you can add.  They are great folks and we enjoy visiting them any time we can.

Checked the tires on our toad, an Express Van, when we got back because one kept going down.  2 bald tires, so i got new.

We'll be leaving for KY at the end of the month, then the Arcadia bus rally in January. Looks like this year's project will be a heat source to replace the bus air/heat control system.

Tom

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 05:10:08 AM »
Where in KY?  Bob in  Indiana
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline white-eagle

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 04:56:32 PM »
Campbellsville, working for Amazon.  Already 2 busnuts there, making money while exercising and having fun.  We'll be there probably by Nov 1. Jerry Campbell and Alan Baker.  They're still hiring if anyone is interested.

it's about 15 mi from maker's mark, 30 mi from Jim Beam, 50 mi from Wild Turkey and Woodferd Reserve.

Near Green River Reservoir and state park.
Tom

Offline crown

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 05:19:20 AM »
hi tom glad everything is going good and have fun say hi to fran will see you in arcadia john / lidia
john
 57 crown
 costa rica

Offline trucktramp

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 06:09:42 AM »

it's about 15 mi from maker's mark, 30 mi from Jim Beam, 50 mi from Wild Turkey and Woodferd Reserve.

So when do we get the "sample packs" from the local businesses??  ;D ;D
Dennis Watson
KB8KNP
Scotts, Michigan
1966 MCI MC5A
8V71
Spicer 4 Speed Manual

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal