Author Topic: Mudflap on Bus  (Read 7459 times)

Offline pete81eaglefanasty

• smithmotorsports
Mudflap on Bus
« on: October 11, 2006, 09:12:46 AM »
 I would like to know if any eagle owners or any body else ever try a mudflap across the back of the bus, and if it made it get hot or not. on an eagle model 10 with a 6v92. will it stop throwing rocks up to the towing vehicle, two times I had a  hole in the a/c condenser, last year and again this year on my trip.

Pete
      fantasy
WHAT EVER YOU DO, OR TO WHO YOU DO IT TOO, DO IT WITH A SMILE, IT MAKES IT LEGAL THAT WAY.

Offline Eagle

• 1985 Eagle
Re: Mudflap on Bus
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 09:31:58 AM »
Pete I put one on my 85 Eagle 10 and no problems.  Mine was 92" wide and heigth of 8" I hung it just forward of the miter box and about two inches off of the ground.  I also opened the louvers up on the engine door to allow more heat to escape.

Offline RJ

• VantarĂ© Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 04:48:38 PM »
Pete -

GMCs came with a full-width mudflap mounted directly behind the rear axle.  It's purpose was two-fold:  Stop flying debris (rocks, etc.) and create a low-pressure area under the powertrain to increase air movement thru the engine compartment.  Even the RTS transit buses have them.

If you hang a mudflap directly off the back bumper, you'll trap hot air under the rear of the coach, something you don't want to do.

HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline skihor

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 05:06:42 PM »
I put one across the rear bumper on my MC 5A. BIG MISTAKE. Destroyed the negative air pressure under the engine compartment. Put it behind the rear axle or something on the front of the toad.

Don & Sheila

Offline David Anderson

• just outside San Antonio TX
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 05:45:59 PM »
This subject interests me.  What would be a good and inexpensive substance to use.  8"-12" tall by almost 96" wide directly behind the drive wheels.   Hanging it would be easy.  Finding the material----any suggestions???  Something that someone is discarding would be really nice.

David

Offline skihor

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 06:38:27 PM »
I've heard old conveyer belt can be used??? I wouldn't have a clue where to get it or what it might look like.
I think truck mud flaps would work fairly well behind each set of duals.

Don & Sheila

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 06:45:45 PM »
The ribbed flooring found in transits does a nice job as a mudflap.

Cut to any size you want. Find someone tearing it out. Local rebuilder?

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 04:38:35 AM »
Conveyor belting is made of two thick sheets of rubber sandwiching a heavy woven core. It is very tough, but thicker and less flexible than regular mudflap material. If you think your mudflap would regularly rub the ground and/or get hit by stones etc it would be a good material to use.

Jeremy
A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 05:34:53 AM »
Conveyor belt would be my choice. Check with some local gravel companies. When they replace belting, they keep the old stuff to use for repairs. Find a large gravel pit and talk to the owner. Explain the whole bus thing to him. They like big toys, too.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

• smithmotorsports
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 11:01:27 AM »
  So what do most of you think is better? behind the duals or all the way across
the back. I thank each and every one's comments on this subject. I really want to know which is the best, because it gets expensive  repairing the air conditioner every year. thanks because i'm stuck on which way to go.

Pete
 Fantasy
WHAT EVER YOU DO, OR TO WHO YOU DO IT TOO, DO IT WITH A SMILE, IT MAKES IT LEGAL THAT WAY.

Offline Eagle

• 1985 Eagle
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2006, 11:10:01 AM »
NOT on the rear bumper.  My earlier post I said I mounted mine in front of the miter box and that means toward the front of the coach.  With an 8" high flap you will have air flow over the flap.

• smithmotorsports
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2006, 11:17:57 AM »
  Thank you eagle for your answer, I did not mean across the rear bumper, I understood what you said about putting it in front of the miter box.
thanks again for your reply I did understand but I didn't express myself right. thanks again.

Pete
 fantasy

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2006, 12:59:52 PM »
Pete, based on everything I have read, I think the best place is completely across, directly behind the drivers, in front of the engine.

I did try one in the rear bumper area and it did screw up the cooling on my 80 Eagle.
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline larryh

• 4905A-893 P8M
  • ready to run with the big dogs
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 11:33:36 AM »
Pete

you can use 3 truck mudflaps and put right in back of drivers, duals and if you put clear across bus you will help create a low pressure area behind the flaps under the engine and help hot air escaping out rear plus stop flying rocks etc.

Most GMC came out with this installed completely across bus.

Larry H
Savvy ponderable:
A cowboy's only afraid of two things:
havin' ta walk,
and the love of a good woman.
"This posting was generated using an environmentally friendly, self contained flatulence generator, therefore no fossils or neutrons were harmed in the creation of this posting.

Quartzsite,

Offline Fred Mc

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2006, 07:11:54 AM »
I have a GM PD4106 and got used conveypr belting installed from the back bumper. I didn't notice any cooling changes or problems. It also didn't stop oil from getting on my trailer(which is why I put it on) so I removed if after a few years.

Fred Mc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal