Author Topic: House Toilet vs RV Toilet  (Read 33895 times)

Offline Tikvah

• Dave & Amy
House Toilet vs RV Toilet
« on: September 30, 2011, 02:12:46 PM »
I plan to purchase and install a RV toilet.  But recently saw a couple YouTube videos that have conversions with traditional home toilets.  I got to thinking, why not?  New toilets use 1.6 for a full flush and and something like 0.8 on a partial flush.  That doesn't seem so bad.

Amy I crazy?  I like that my home toilets have elongated bowls.  That doesn't seem to exist on RV toilets.

Dave
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
http://dave-amy.com/

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
Re: House Toilet vs RV Toilet
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 02:20:30 PM »
It depends on your anticipated use.  If you are going pole to pole, then a household toilet makes sense.  If you are boondocking and every cup of water is precious, then consider an RV toilet.

If you are considering a household type then I would look into pressure flush models from Flushmate.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 02:45:10 PM »
Household toilets aren't built to withstand the forces encountered in a moving vehicle. Not to say some won't work . . .

I haven't had any issues with my RV toilet, but since it is different than a household unit, we treat it differently.
With the RV unit, my family of 4 can go a week on a 30 gallon black tank.

RV units can weigh a lot less too. More water useage requires more water on board which adds more weight . . .

good luck with what ever way you choose to go.
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 02:58:52 PM »
You are starting to see the new home style toilets low water usage in the higher end RV's now,
I was told by a manufacture of RV's you can set the flush water on some of those sorry I forgot what brand and they just fill the tank a little less than 1/2 so sloshing water is not a problem now as it was in the past for  80 buck I would give it try

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Just Dallas

• Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget
    • BCS
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 03:17:12 PM »
As a campground manager, here is a differing opinion.

If I find out you are using a house type toilet in the campground, you will be politely asked to leave.

The reason for this is that our septic tanks are easily overloaded, forcing solids into the leach lines.

Doesn't sound likely? think about this: most RV's hold 15 to 50 gallons of black waste, and another 15 to 50 grey tank. If you are a smart camper, you'll only dump when the tanks are full, if not, you just leave the dump valves open.

If you wait until your tanks are full, you'll toss up to 100 gallons, (or more), into our septic system that on any particular tank is 500 gallons. We have two tanks that are 1500 and 6 tanks that are 500. You'll be dumping about 7 times more often than a camper with an RV toilet, even with the low flow system. The septic can only take so much turn over before it has to be pumped. Septic Tanks require a period of recovery for the solids to sink and the liquids to pass over to the leach lines.

If you are one of the ones that leave your valves open all the time while parked and the toilet starts running because of a bad valve, you WILL fill our septic tank within a day.
If I go from site to site and determine it is your RV that is putting water into my system, (easily done), I will not only ask you to leave, but I will charge you $850 for a pump out. You don't like that idea? hmmm, to bad... that's what it costs here for the pump out. If you refuse to pay it or pay it and decline the charge later on your credit card, you will have a warrant sworn out against you for defrauding an inn keeper. You will pay, one way or another.

You can buy a nice Sealand china RV toilet for under $500. You can also buy a cheap American Standard house toilet for under $100. American Standard extended bowl toilets can cost upwards of $500 depending on the features you want.

Good luck to you, I hope it works out.
I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 03:32:45 PM »
Everyone is different but if has a foot pedal I would not have one lol the Sea Land  Magnum Opus they are a nice toilet little pricey at around 1000 bucks but nice

good luck

Offline Charles in SC

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 05:14:40 PM »
I had a house unit in my bus for a couple of years and it was fine and I enjoyed the elongated seat. The reason I changed it to an rv unit is because the wax gasket would become squished due to the road bumps and then it would leak.
S8M 5303 built in 1969, converted in 2000

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 05:22:42 PM »
The foam gasket works just as good as the wax for the house type

good luck

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 06:01:15 PM »
Doesn't sound likely? think about this: most RV's hold 15 to 50 gallons of black waste, and another 15 to 50 grey tank. If you are a smart camper, you'll only dump when the tanks are full, if not, you just leave the dump valves open.

Dallas,

I guess if we stay at your CG we shouldn't dump there, if you have a bunch of other campers. We have 150 black tank and 200 of grey :o ;D. We don't dump unless we are closer to capacity, then not...

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 06:49:42 PM »
I think of a toilet as a utilitarian item.  It has a rather specific purpose.  Since water supply and holding capacity can be important, I think the best option is the one that uses the least water.  I have never really thought of it as something to enjoy, although I have been adamant about not having a seat studded with nails or lined with sandpaper.   
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline mugsytrpt

• 1981 MCI MC9
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 08:16:04 PM »
"If I go from site to site and determine it is your RV that is putting water into my system, (easily done), I will not only ask you to leave, but I will charge you $850 for a pump out. You don't like that idea? hmmm, to bad... that's what it costs here for the pump out. If you refuse to pay it or pay it and decline the charge later on your credit card, you will have a warrant sworn out against you for defrauding an inn keeper. You will pay, one way or another."

Just Dallas,

I guess I do not need to come to Texas.  This seems very excessive.  I would think you would have some type of insurance to cover this type of problem.  I'm just thinking, what would you say to the new camping person who happened to leave their system open (not knowing not best practice yet) and for some reason they have a problem and it does water log your system.  If you do what I quoted...You would turn a new camper off from camping.  Sounds to me like I would not want to stay in your park.  If I have to go to the potty too much you are willing to put me in jail.  Do you think everyone is out to mess up your park? I would just have to fight you in court myself......even if it may cost me more.  Sorry if I sound mad, I'm not.  Your post just sounds like you are out to get your campers for anything.
1981 TMC MCI9 Converted
Purchased April 2010
Located in South Georgia
New genset April 2013

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 08:20:46 PM »
I will not only ask you to leave, but I will charge you $850 for a pump out.
and your customers know this before you take there money....??
I think I will start paying cash....
Where are you located?
i too have 160 gallon (combined gray black)
I think there might be some legal involvement here.
Just my .02 and worth atleast 1/2 that... :-* ::) :-*
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline Brassman

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 08:47:13 PM »
Relax guys, that's Just Dallas.  ;)

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 09:41:30 PM »
I think what he was referring to is not merely that they left the valve open, but left the valve open with water running continually.  Even a new camper should know that the faucets should not be left on.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline thejumpsuitman

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 10:01:40 PM »
I would actually prefer an RV toilet in the house...  No clogging, no need for a plunger ever again.
1992 Wanderlodge PT-40, 1960 PD-4104
Albemarle, NC

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal