Author Topic: Lug Nuts - Pics of my Nuts  (Read 19899 times)

Offline larryh

• 4905A-893 P8M
  • ready to run with the big dogs
Re: Lug Nuts - Pics of my Nuts
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2006, 02:23:38 PM »
Here I am back again. In working as a mechanic over 40 years I have seen our pig tractors(piggy back trailers loaded on railway cars) start popping lug nuts off like a machine gun from items very similar to your nuts.

It was/ is not uncommon before they started weighing loaded railroad car, to have in excess of 130,000 per trailer which put and undo strain on front axle nuts and if one nut was loose they would pop em all off and a hell of a mess to repair.

If the wheel is standard budd wheel I would use standard budd nuts their prettier than yours.

I have never seen or heard what you describe I would love to see what dot guys had to say about this.

LarryH
Savvy ponderable:
A cowboy's only afraid of two things:
havin' ta walk,
and the love of a good woman.
"This posting was generated using an environmentally friendly, self contained flatulence generator, therefore no fossils or neutrons were harmed in the creation of this posting.

Quartzsite,

Ace

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2006, 02:29:08 PM »
Speaking of Lug Nuts, what is the proper torque value for Alcoa aluminum wheels. I have looked thru the manual and have not been able to find the information.

Also I'm looking at a Tire Pressure Monitor made and sold by Doran. Has anyone else used this system and are there any other systems comparible that you might recommend? Of course, The Doran looks like it might be the top of the line according to thier web site comparisons but actuall user info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks...
Ace

Ace

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2006, 02:59:46 PM »
Never mind on the torque values. Dallas was kind enough to send me the whole Alcoa manual and it has all the information I need!

Thanks Dallas....

Ace

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2006, 04:23:44 PM »
Ace, have you talked to Jack Conrad?  He's got some sort of unit that monitors the coach and toad.   Has nice easy to read screen.
JR
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2006, 04:27:13 PM »
Ace,
    We have the Doran Pressure Pro on our coach.  We also monitor our toad. We are very happy with the system. Price seems to be comparable with other systems and no installation cost. (Smart Tire requires demounting tires to install sensors). When towing our golf cart trailer, we remove front tire sensors from the front wheels of our Grand Cherokee and install them on the trailer.  Jim Shepherd will be selling them at our rally or you can reach him at www.rvsafetysystems.com.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2006, 04:43:34 PM »
Jack, thanks for the referral.  I can always use the business <grin>.

Since the thread is hijacked a bit anyway, on a somewhat related subject, does anyone know a good source for the lug nut covers and hub caps for Alcoa wheels?
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/

Ace

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2006, 04:49:51 PM »
JR Thanks and I see those have come forth and answered!  :D

Thanks Jack!

Jim I didn't know you were a dealer for Doran and it's nice to know that someone we know is! Ok my next question. I saw the pricing on THIER web site. What is yours? You can email me if need be. I'm not sure I want to wait until the rally to purchase one or before, then again, if there is a rally special I may have to wait!  ;)

Ace

Offline pete81eaglefanasty

• smithmotorsports
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2006, 04:56:42 PM »
 I also have the Doran Pressure Pro. It went off twice this year on my trip. once on the right rear dual, a loose valve stem. the other on my jeep, right rear, all i could find was a loose sensor. but it sure let's you know when they are low. best thing I bought this year.
I got them from Mr Safetyman. Jim Shepherd

Pete

fantasy
WHAT EVER YOU DO, OR TO WHO YOU DO IT TOO, DO IT WITH A SMILE, IT MAKES IT LEGAL THAT WAY.

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2006, 05:33:34 PM »
Hi Ace.  The standard price for Doran/Pressure Pro systems is $190 for the console and $50 per tire.  The margin for dealers is very low, so I don't think you will see "specials".    I don't charge shipping and phone or e-store orders don't have tax charges.

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/

Offline Connel

• Eagle 05 w/Ser60 & HD4060PR
  • Day Eagle landed & before total rebuild.
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2006, 06:31:42 PM »
Speaking of Lug Nuts, what is the proper torque value for Alcoa aluminum wheels. I have looked thru the manual and have not been able to find the information.

Ace,
Alcoa aluminum wheels torque at "450 lbs"
Connel
Central Oklahoma

Refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2006, 07:02:45 PM »
Jim, what sort of coax or wiring does the Doran midship antenna consist of?  I reckon that would be necessary on a 40' coach.
Is it a "repeater" or an antenna proper? 
About what is the diameter of the transmitters?  My inner duals are tight.  Real trick to air them up. 
Thanks, JR
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline lesrMC9

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2006, 08:11:19 PM »
WEll GUYS back to the subject of your nuts!!!! on older coaches, the stud piloted nut style would cause the wheel to crack because of the inherent wedge design, hence the alternating of the flat nut and the wedge style of stud piloted!!
make sense ???
Les R (rebuilt 871 will be in soon [i hope])

Offline Beatenbo

• 1993 MCI 102 C3 Cat Power
    • The Beatenbos
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2006, 08:29:37 PM »
Dave, Just like the ones on the MC 8 I had. Just take those washe rlooking or flat seat things and throw them in the trash and put regular nuts like on the right of pic and don't worry about it. I've had 10 buses and only one hound from Canada came like that. As far as I can see just another bright idea someone came up with. I got about a million or so miles in the last 35 years and never had a minute trouble from the standard lugs.

Offline tekebird

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2006, 09:08:11 PM »
doesn't make sence to me.

whether there are 5 or 10 stud piloted tapered lug nuts.....if crackign was an issue it would still be there.

Ace

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2006, 05:15:47 AM »
Dallas emailed me the Alcoa Aluminum Wheel Manual whichis 56 pages long and has a LOT of information regarding lug nuts of all types and maintenence of wheels. It's in PDF format and maybe he can post it for all to have a copy of. I can't seem to be able to do it.

Ace

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal