Author Topic: steep hills and no jake break??  (Read 23107 times)

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
Re: steep hills and no jake break??
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2011, 06:04:41 PM »
Yes Lin we were headed west to Chula Vista, CA hauling fresh iced down chicken to a warehouse that would make us wait until after the Federalies opened the boarder and allowed the mexican trucks to come across and pick up the loads.
We'd run that run many times and yes I have seen the beauty and the ugly of it both!
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Sunchaser Art

« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2011, 07:42:36 PM »
We have an '88 Model 15 Eagle with a 740 Allison, 6V92 and no jakes.  It was formerly a 'hound, so it's geared pretty tall--it doesn't hit 4th gear until about 55 mph.  The gearing is a bit important if you're trying to decide what gear (and subsequently speed) to head down the hill. 

Typically, on an unfamiliar 6-8% grade, I'll hold it in 2nd gear, which will give me about 40 mph at max rpm.  I'll usually start the hill about 30, let it gradually roll up to about 40, then brake until I'm down around 30 again. 

My preferred method of brake application is to apply about 5 lbs of application pressure for about 5 seconds; that'll cover the slow down between 40 to 30 mph.  If you have an application gauge, get a feel for a low application pressure. . .the brakes stay a bunch cooler at 5 lbs of pressure than they do at 15-20 pounds.

That's my humble opinion. . .drive safe!

Offline west

« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2011, 04:35:11 AM »
I have driven Old Fort Hill in a standard transmission and a automatic / without jake.  In the standard transmission you climb in 2nd and down hill in second. Also 2nd in the automatic down the hill..When the rpm go higher than you want you use a little brake to lower engine rpm.  This hill is steep but with care can be traveled with care.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal