Author Topic: 3000 Mile Trip - Bus Did Fine - But.....  (Read 10557 times)

Offline lostagain

Re: 3000 Mile Trip - Bus Did Fine - But.....
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 06:46:14 AM »
Jim, what about your "service truck"? Do you tow that to fix your bus if you have to?  What is its purpose? When I met you at BusN'USA a few years ago, I seem to remember you towed a Jeep.

Curious,

JC
JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740 (sold)
2007 Country Coach Magna, Cummins ISX

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2011, 07:00:31 AM »
Hi JC

We towed a Jeep Commando for a while and then a Dodge Durango.  In 2008, it looked like our business might get better and we set up a service truck to take to trade shows and to do installations around the country (great timing, huh?).

I have used it for a few installs, but mostly to haul product and display items to trade shows.  Now that we no longer do trade shows, I haul it because it has all my tools and we can carry a bit of product to ship from the road.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2011, 07:16:45 AM »
Jim, was this the same ditch and rock that got the PT? ;D
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2011, 07:32:35 AM »
Ed, you really have a way of making a fellow feel good ::) :D :)

The PT went in the ditch a few miles away from the truck.  For the rest of you, since I am airing all my dirty laundry, a couple of years ago, I fell asleep and went off the road.  PT Cruisers are not good off-the-road vehicles  :-[

BTW, Ed, did you take notice the ground below the hitch?  That photo was taken at your place in Yuma.  You were the one that got me started on the hardware issues when we went to the Yuma flea market and I saw the poor quality of hardware some of the folks were selling.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2011, 07:38:35 AM »
I thought that picture looked familiar, but i was looking at the hardware, not the rocks!  :)   And you know that i just HAD to ask about the PT!!!! ;D
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Offline Ralph7

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2011, 09:33:36 AM »
   Not throw salt in a wound, but my frend just purchased a aunit that has 2 different drops/raises and it uses a solid insert into the receiver not tubing. My pintle/2in ball has the solid male insert also. His double unit weighs 50lbs or more???? It was bought at camp over$$ wold. 

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2011, 09:56:56 AM »
  (snip)   One of the major problems I see are commercial trailers with very small grade 30 safety chains and cheap Chinese slip hooks .  Grade 70 chain has over three times the strength of grade 30 chain (what you find at your hardware store and flea markets).  I also used Grade 70 slip hooks which have the same strength as the chain.   Jim   

Thank you for this info, Jim.  This information alone is worth a lot. 
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline chev49

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2011, 09:59:39 AM »
Also use the high strength bolts from the fastner place....
If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...

artvonne

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2011, 10:55:31 AM »
  I didnt mention the runaway trailer in Wisconsin. This was on the news some years ago. Apparently this guy was towing a tri axle heavy equipment trailer, no chains, open hasp, no lights, break away not hooked up or inop. Hwy 35 north of Centuria, the trailer comes off rolling 60-65 mph, crosses over the center line into a group of bicyclists, killing several, maiming others.

It may all just be oversight. How many have gone to hook up the trailer out back, thinking we'll hook it up properly before we go? Im raising my hand! I got over 10 miles from home once, taking stuff up to storage, get there and see nothings hooked up. I was so mad at myself I wanted to punch something.

My new rule is I always hook it up completely anytime its attached to the hitch.

Offline Brassman

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2011, 11:45:02 AM »
.... the trailer comes off rolling 60-65 mph, crosses over the center line into a group of bicyclists, killing several, maiming others.

Not to belittle a runaway trailer, but bicycles are dangerous.  ;)

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2011, 01:16:57 PM »
    I can weld, and ive gotten "okayish" at it over the years, but I still dont like welding anything that which it breaking could hurt anyone.  a mans gotta know his limitations.

I agree, sounds like my welding skill is about the same as yours.  When I needed custom brackets welded in for the new intergral steering we installed, I had a friend that was a certified welder for Dupont for about 30 years do the welding. For something as important as steering, I would not take any chance with my intermediate welding ability.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline volzalum

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2011, 03:21:55 PM »
It looks like most of the 10K drop/rise receivers use a steel shank, not tubing ...

for example:

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-hitches/roadmaster-drop-hitch-receiver.htm

artvonne

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2011, 05:51:54 PM »
  I never really liked drop hitches, they put torque into the tow hitch, which magnifies with the drop. Probably best to locate the tow bar hinge point higher or lower to match the tow hitch?

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2011, 06:42:42 PM »
Re solid insert, just makes sense.

Re lowering the tow bar on the truck.  I have tried that before (reversing the arms on the mount) but that makes the parts hang way down and looks kind of stupid.  The truck is a Dodge 4X4 and sits kind of high.

For some reason (probably looks) the tow bar mounting has arms that bend up and raise the connection point about 6 inches.  I think I will play with making arms that come straight out.  That would be stronger as well.  I might also play with the arms that I have for the Durango.  They don't have as much raise to them.

The bending moment is also very hard on the bus trailer hitch.  I made it pretty strong, but now I am second guessing that as well.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO

Offline Boomer

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2011, 09:57:05 PM »
Jim you might consider what I did.  That was use solid stock for the male part.  Then I precision drilled TWO holes for the pins to go through.  I install them from opposite directions.  By putting the pins through a precision hole there is zero chance of wearing out (egging out) the drilled tubing, which may lead to cracking.  It's hell for stout.  There are some pics somewhere on the Eagle site.  Good luck, stay warm.
'81 Eagle 15/45, NO MORE
'47 GM PD3751-438, NO MORE
'65 Crown Atomic, NO MORE
'48 Kenworth W-1 highway coach, NO MORE
'93 Vogue IV, NO MORE
1964 PD4106-2846
Vancouver, WA USA

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal