Author Topic: Tow Vehicles  (Read 9260 times)

Offline H3-45

• Entertainer Coach Driver Since 1986
Tow Vehicles
« on: October 28, 2011, 06:18:18 PM »
Hello All,

I am new to the board and shopping for my Dream Coach,However I was wondering what you use as a vehicle to tow behind your coach and why you chose it. I am a big fella so a car is out so I am thinking of some kind of S.U.V. what do I have to do to tow a vehicle with a automatic trans. behind the coach? I am trying to stay away from the trailer thing and don't like the looks of a tow dolly either. I see vehicles towed on all 4 wheels all the time ,I just don't know what to do in order not to damage the drivetrain of the vehicle. Any help appreciated!!

Robert
Robert
Prevost H3-45 Nut
Crossville, TN

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
Re: Tow Vehicles
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 06:24:56 PM »
We have a Jeep Cherokee w/ automatic.  Excellent toad.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline H3-45

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 06:27:00 PM »
What do you have to do to the vehicle to tow it,Just put it in neutral?

Robert
Robert
Prevost H3-45 Nut
Crossville, TN

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 06:29:05 PM »
Chev HHR automatic  put it in neutral leave key in switch so steering is unlocked. Think you can do with bigger Equinox with same transmission.
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 06:36:02 PM »
For the Cherokee, you can leave it in park but put the transfer case in neutral.  You may have to have the key in to unlock the steering though.  The car has its own steering damper, so wild wobbling is not an issue.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline H3-45

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 06:41:35 PM »
Thank you for the replies,I was afraid the trans would not get lubricated without the engine running and maybe lockup. So about any SUV it would be OK to tow as long as I unlock the wheels and put it in neutral.

Robert
Robert
Prevost H3-45 Nut
Crossville, TN

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 06:44:05 PM »
Thank you for the replies,I was afraid the trans would not get lubricated without the engine running and maybe lockup. So about any SUV it would be OK to tow as long as I unlock the wheels and put it in neutral.

Robert

Absolutely not.

There is a very short list of vehicles with automatic transmissions that you can get away with towing in neutral.  I think one of the hitch manufacturers has a list of such vehicles on their website - Blue Ox maybe.
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline H3-45

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 06:45:47 PM »
OK Thanks for that info.,I will look and see what I can Find.

Robert
Robert
Prevost H3-45 Nut
Crossville, TN

Offline Charles in SC

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 06:47:21 PM »
I have a 1965 Ford Econoline with a 3 speed on the tree. I just put it in neutral.
S8M 5303 built in 1969, converted in 2000

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 06:54:38 PM »
For a big guy the GMC Envoy is a good tow vehicle wider doors and more room than a Jeep Cherokee easy to ready for tow

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline usbusin

• '60 PD4104-4355 (sold) and '01 Freightliner (sold)
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 06:57:45 PM »
I tow a 2008 Ford Taurus X SUV.  Put it in neutral, key to accessory and go.  The 2009 is the same; made for towing.  Plenty of room for all our musical instruments including upright bass and sound system.
Gary D

USBUSIN was our 1960 PD4104 for 16 years (150,000 miles)
USTRUCKIN was our 2001 Freightliner Truck Conversion for 19 years (135,000 miles)
We are busless and truckless after 35 years of traveling

Offline H3-45

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 07:00:13 PM »
I am a Ford Guy, I will check into the taurus. Thanks for the info.

Robert
Robert
Prevost H3-45 Nut
Crossville, TN

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 07:38:35 PM »
Robert, for ANY rig you are looking at....Make sure it has an owners manual for that year and model, and READ the section on towing!!!!!  Anybody can say oh yeah, sure, you can tow that. But YOU will be the one that has to pay for the new tranny or transfer case, not them.  I also have a Jeep with an auto tranny and just have to put it into park and the transfer in nuetral. However for my year of jeep they had 2 different types of 4x4 system and there is a slight difference in how you do it.  A few years ago one of our neighbors bought a new jeep and he did not read the manual for it, just did it the same way as his older jeep and it cost him 4 grand for a new tranny.
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Offline H3-45

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 07:42:31 PM »
Ed,
Thanks for the info., That is what I am afraid of is burning up the tranny and or transfer case. I've got some good info tonight,and think I am going to check out the Ford taurus.

Robert
Robert
Prevost H3-45 Nut
Crossville, TN

Offline Ace

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 07:54:55 PM »
Chev HHR automatic  put it in neutral leave key in switch so steering is unlocked. Think you can do with bigger Equinox with same transmission.

Robert, the HHR manual  says your supposed to put the car in neutral and pull a certain fuse that disengages the digital dash. Can't remember what fuse right off but I do remember it saying that.
It didn't mention anything about a driveshaft disconnect or pump so its probably not needed!
Ace
Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2011, 08:37:23 PM »
Robert, the HHR manual  says your supposed to put the car in neutral and pull a certain fuse that disengages the digital dash. Can't remember what fuse right off but I do remember it saying that.
It didn't mention anything about a driveshaft disconnect or pump so its probably not needed!
Ace

Ace,
I don't doubt that the manual says to pull a fuse at all.
But I do know Bob's been towing his HHR since before the first time I met him when he showed up @ our UC rally with it in tow.
I know he's towed it to FL twice since then and Choo Choo too & who knows where else. It may be something they just started putting in the manual or something Bob overlooked I don't know. But I do know he's been doing it with no problems so far.

But then again he does other things that they say can't or shouldn't be done also. ;)
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline demodriver

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 08:53:29 PM »
I am a Ford Guy,

I am sorry to hear that.  ;D

Offline usbusin

• '60 PD4104-4355 (sold) and '01 Freightliner (sold)
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2011, 08:53:59 PM »
Robert, make sure it is a 2008-2009 Taurus X.  Here is the Owner's Manual instructions:

Note: If you tow your vehicle with all four wheels on the ground, follow
these instructions:
• Tow only in the forward direction
• Release the parking brake
• Place the transmission shift lever in Neutral (N)
• Turn the key in the ignition to the ACC position (refer to Starting in
the Driving chapter). The ACC position also unlocks the steering
wheel.
• Do not exceed 65 mph (105 km/h)
• Start the engine and allow it to run for five minutes at the beginning
of each day and at each fuel stop.
Gary D

USBUSIN was our 1960 PD4104 for 16 years (150,000 miles)
USTRUCKIN was our 2001 Freightliner Truck Conversion for 19 years (135,000 miles)
We are busless and truckless after 35 years of traveling

artvonne

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2011, 12:07:04 AM »
  94 Jeep Cherokee. Put the trans in park, the T case in neutral and tow. Dont know how to make it any simpler. With the Jeep and its 4x4 capability, I can go almost anywhere, and its roomy enough to carry a wide variety of items I may need to carry. Ya never know what ya never know.

I removed the steering wheel lock pin so the wheel wont lock, now I can pull the keys and never need worry someone could steal it. I wired it with diodes in the tail lights through an amber turn signal converter box, and put a standard 4 pin trailer plug in it so it tows and hooks up just like a standard trailer.

Its tow and go and I can tow it behind almost anything. Next ill probably add some kind of tow brakes. 

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2011, 05:51:35 AM »
Ace: on the HHr If memory serves me rite #11 fuse. your rite. what we do is put a toggle switch in line to break that fuse connect rather than pull.It also won't let you put car in park or take key out of ignition when pulled/switch disengaged---- didn't go into to much detail.  have more than 5 friends using HHR's as toads.   Bob

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2011, 06:04:26 AM »
  94 Jeep Cherokee. Put the trans in park, the T case in neutral and tow. Dont know how to make it any simpler. With the Jeep and its 4x4 capability, I can go almost anywhere, and its roomy enough to carry a wide variety of items I may need to carry. Ya never know what ya never know.
    I removed the steering wheel lock pin so the wheel wont lock, now I can pull the keys and never need worry someone could steal it. I wired it with diodes in the tail lights through an amber turn signal converter box, and put a standard 4 pin trailer plug in it so it tows and hooks up just like a standard trailer.
    Its tow and go and I can tow it behind almost anything. Next ill probably add some kind of tow brakes. 

How difficult was it to remove the steering lock pin?  We really love our 95 Grand Cherokee. I have driven to some kayak access points in the mountains that required 4 wheel drive with no problems. We installed the M&G brake unit on ours. Found a used unit on www.hitchtrader.com   Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2011, 06:12:10 AM »
Sounds like to me favorite shopping trip time:::::::  Ck out Chev  HHR & Equinox  w/automatic for towing.  let us know what will fit and can be towed.  Remember you might be smarter than salesman

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2011, 06:39:39 AM »
Jack, have you ever checked to see if you can pull your key out after you have the steering wheel unlocked? I found that i could do that with my 87. The key and the cylinder were both worn down enough that the key would come out, but when i wasn't towing i could still be able to lock the wheel. A couple of years ago i had to replace the whole steering column with one from a wrecking yard that didn't have the keys with it. Bought a new lock cylinder and found that the new key would also pull out. ;D

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2011, 06:41:50 AM »
Should mention that after unlocking the wheel and pulling the key out, i always turn the wheel back and forth a few times to make sure that it is fully unlocked. ;)

Offline H3-45

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2011, 07:00:11 AM »
Thanks to all for the information, It gives me a direction to start. I have been lurking here for a while and am glad I finally joined the knowledge here is priceless!

Robert
Robert
Prevost H3-45 Nut
Crossville, TN

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2011, 07:05:24 AM »
Jack,
Pulling the lock pin is easy. Just pull the steering wheel, remove the cover plate, and on most models the lock pins is one of the first & easiest accessed items. Pull it out and reassemble the rest.
Shoot all the complicated things you've worked on or built for your bus this will be like a walk to the creek!
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2011, 08:36:52 AM »
  Should mention that after unlocking the wheel and pulling the key out, i always turn the wheel back and forth a few times to make sure that it is fully unlocked. ;) 

I use a spare "valet" key to unlock my steering lock and then I lock the doors with the regular key (after I turn the wheel back and forth a few times to make sure it's fully unlocked). 
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline RJ

• Vantaré Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2011, 08:46:14 AM »
Robert -

Welcome aboard!

IIRC, Towing World magazine (or one of the other RV-oriented publications) puts out an annual list of flat-towable vehicles, usually in the Jan or Feb issue.

Also, Remco (who makes driveline disconnects) has a list on their website I think.

Keep doing your homework, you're on a roll!

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline prevosman

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2011, 09:32:50 AM »
H2 Hummer. Put the transfer case in neutral, transmission in park, pull out the key, lock the doors and go.

Until my wife went Lady Rambo on me we towed a Grand Cherokee.
Jon Wehrenberg
Knoxville TN
1997 Prevost Liberty

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2011, 07:54:20 PM »
I have towed 3 different Ford Explorers (91, 03, 07). We used a driveline disconnect on the 91. Never again! On the 03 and 07, we had the neutral tow kit installed to allow the transfer case to shift to neutral. Very easy operation. Transmission is left in neutral, which forces the key to be in the off, but steering unlocked position.

I just recently (within the last 2 months) set up a 2011 Ford Ranger to tow. It too has a neutral tow kit to allow it to shift the transfer case to neutral, and also requires the transmission to be left in neutral which forces steering to be unlocked and key to off.  However, the neutral tow kit for this one was over $350 installed, and must be installed by the dealer. Basically, I think it's nothing more than an LED light installed on the dash, and reprogramming the shift computer, but that's what they charge! $250 for the part, and $100 for installation. Took them about 45 minutes to install it, once I finally explained to them exactly what it was they were supposed to be ordering for me!! (The tow kit for the last two explorers was only $25 and about an hour labor for installation.)

I loved towing the explorers. They both had the 3rd row seating, so we could get 6 people in there easily so packing the whole family in one vehicle for short trips was good, even if we were traveling in separate RVs. However, I just returned from a 4 week trip towing the Ranger, and have to say I've become a Ranger fan again (had an 83 for years and years). This thing towed like a dream. It's lighter than the explorers, and I really did notice the difference in the bus. I had to make a long journey in it while on the trip, and was surprised that it got a respectable 22+ mpg on the highway, doing 65-80 on cruise most of the way. That is compared to the window sticker which boasted a 14-18 mpg. It's roomy enough for my wife and I. The kids won't be traveling with us much in the future, and if they do, we'll take one of the explorers, instead.

Just my experiences...  FWIW...

craig
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline Seangie

• www.herdofturtles.org
  • And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles
    • Herd of Turtles
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2011, 09:39:45 AM »
Found this online....may be helpful.  Seems to only have 2010 model vehicles listed at the bottom but some good articles as well.

http://towingworld.com/pdfs/2010DinghyTowGuide.pdf
'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night
To that old promised land'

Offline Seangie

• www.herdofturtles.org
  • And We're Off... Like a Herd of Turtles
    • Herd of Turtles
'Cause you know we,
we live in a van (Eagle 10 Suburban)
Driving through the night