Author Topic: Prevost Factory Slides  (Read 127609 times)

Offline H3-45

• Entertainer Coach Driver Since 1986
Re: Prevost Factory Slides
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 07:31:56 PM »
luvrbus,

That's why I am asking all the questions,so as not to have to rely only on what he says.Thanks for all your help!

Robert
Robert
Prevost H3-45 Nut
Crossville, TN

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2011, 07:40:29 PM »
Robert, I question that because right now there is not a high speed tire to carry 20,000 on a single tire the Prevost H-45 is so heavy on the front they are using the concrete truck tires on the front now and the 315's are using 120 lbs of air to carry the front end weight that would be my biggest concern

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Joe Camper

• One Stop Prevo Shop
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2011, 08:08:39 PM »
365s not 315s that is what it will have those will carry the weight. At least that is what the XLIIs are coming with.
Signing off from Cook County Ill. where the dead vote, frequently.

Offline Ace

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2011, 08:19:43 PM »
Not that this matters much but the height of bays was previously mentioned and with that said keep in mind that from my understanding Prevost made/makes two model shells. One a seated shell and one a conversion shell. The conversion shell has a lowered floor to allow for a taller ceiling where as the seated shell has a raised floor or higher than the conversion shell to allow for taller bays. Taller bays in a seated coach means more luggage room where as you wouldn't need taller bays in a conversion but a higher ceiling is almost always wanted.
Again... FWIW
Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40

Offline Zeroclearance

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2011, 08:22:55 PM »
Ace, my VIP 45, used for conversions and Entertainers have the higher bays AND higher roofline for the added headroom.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2011, 06:15:17 AM »
Joe,365's concrete truck tire I call those have been a option for years on Prevost for tag and steers nothing new there and I haven't checked the speed rating lately but the 365  Michelins on my Prevost were 65mph tires max 

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2011, 06:47:28 AM »
One comment:: Sounds like this belongs on Prevost Proud web site.   Well out of my $ 70,000 per slide (more than most of our conversions) price range.  Sort of makes me feel looked down upon.   Proud to be a do it you self /poor bus nut.   I build my own slides.  About $600 each !  They don't leak!  Bob       
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2011, 07:00:45 AM »
I like your 600 dollar slides Bob way to go and it doesn't cost over 100 bucks a year to post to this board lol

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2011, 07:20:56 AM »
$600 slides: looked at way prevost did theirs and applies KISS that was material cost using existing bus wall structure plus steel , slide motor and slide seal. plus labor.  They take almost 2 minutes to go out instead of 45 seconds and you can tell where they are from the outside.  They do not leak air or water going down road. They are 7 years old now and I  am going to replace seals on the 89 before going to Florida this winter (maybe) they are not leaking yet. But I have extra seals. They are not air inflateable.    Bob

Offline prevosman

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2011, 08:30:56 AM »
Liberty only uses Prevost slides. Other converters have used Rogue, Valid, HWH, etc.

You have to know the converter and if the used Prevost slides or not to know what is going on. As to axle weights, Liberty is pretty anal about weight and balance. Other converters are not. I know for sure some converters are over the rated axle weight by as much as 3000 pounds. At a rally we had the state troopers weigh our coaches using the scales they use for roadside checks of commercial vehicles. It was eye opening to see how much weight was on some axles.

Early Prevost slides were built and designed by a company under the control of Prevost. Later generations were the total responsibility of Prevost and I think they actually bought the company that did the first generation of slides.

The XLII frame was redesigned a few years back so cutting the opening did not require building back additional structure. The latest model X3-45 and possibly late model XLII uses a structure that is now in the bays to support the coach instead of the structure that previously went beneath the windows to the top of the bays. The new structure runs between the two axle sub frames, and is located inward by around 20 inches. It does screw up locating stuff in the bays, but not to the extent the earlier structure did.

The latest slide variation Prevost has is relatively trouble free. It is the pinless slide (actually there is one pin in the center under the slide) and it has proven itself very good. To the best of my knowledge Preovst slide seals on any version can be easily changed by one or two men and it only requires about 8 man hours and a bucket of cash for the seal which can last one year or ten. Nobody yet knows how long to expect because there have been good suppliers and not so good suppliers.

Knowing how much Prevost engineers have designed into their slides and how robust they are I would like to see Bob's $600 slide. I am having a hard time imagining how even a seal can be bought for $600 much less the motor(s), racks, slide room structure, glass, slide awnings, and all the control devices to limit travel and racking. Not pulling your chain Bob because I used to compete against the Chineses so I know we can do anything, I just want to know how.
Jon Wehrenberg
Knoxville TN
1997 Prevost Liberty

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2011, 08:53:47 AM »
Jon: jack shaft-chain drive-slide motor with sprocket; tube inside tube ;slide seal from surplus outlet by roll; shopping.  just done it for second time. A little differant this time but same principle three slides this time.  Awnings were extra. I paid 324$ total for all 3 new in plastic from Bob's RV salvage near Gainsville Fla this past March. They even had the alum hard covers.  There were near a 100 to sort thru differant sizes there..  So patients and shopping.  Not factory quality.  Sure opens up room in coach for my budget limitations. They don't make noise going down road.   IT CAN'T BE DONE.    OK ;D   Bob  just kidding.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2011, 09:08:11 AM »
Jon is not that true that Liberty is the only converter using Prevost slides CC was even using the Prevost slides when they went out of business

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2011, 09:13:24 AM »
Jon is not that true that Liberty is the only converter using Prevost slides CC was even using the Prevost slides when they went out of business

Clifford I think he was saying that the Prevo slides were the ONLY slides Liberty used. Not that Liberty was the only one using them.
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2011, 09:19:40 AM »
Could be BK but all the later Prevost the converters order the slide shell I just saw a new H-45 shell with quad electric slides headed to Prevost in Ca for repairs but Liberty used HWH on some of the conversions

Albritions 2000 Liberty Prevost has HWH slides along with the HWH leveling jacks and he bought it new direct from the factory

Foretravel does the best job of anyone with slides even Prevost or Newell cannot match their slides IMO

Offline H3-45

• Entertainer Coach Driver Since 1986
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2011, 09:45:56 AM »
Thanks to all for the shared information,It is helping me figure out which way I am going to go.

Robert
Robert
Prevost H3-45 Nut
Crossville, TN

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal